The Barbridge Inn

dor

Featured Posts

I called twice at The Barbridge Inn (or is it Ye Olde?!) in late July and well into August and found that Woodland Brewery was a thing of the past there.

No stuffy bar staff but chatty people serving and lots of good beer, many well hopped, which in Woodland's tenure was not and all a bit boring.

I can't comment on the food other than to say the last time I ate there was in the Woodland days and it was expensive, fussy,but good.

Two really nice evenings.

There you are: good news!

James

On 10/10/2017 at 16:06, ditchcrawler said:

I always buy strange beers in half's 

Or drink the draft Mild !

Should there be any; disappearing in many establishments now.

James

19 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

I called twice at The Barbridge Inn (or is it Ye Olde?!) in late July and well into August and found that Woodland Brewery was a thing of the past there.

No stuffy bar staff but chatty people serving and lots of good beer, many well hopped, which in Woodland's tenure was not and all a bit boring.

I can't comment on the food other than to say the last time I ate there was in the Woodland days and it was expensive, fussy,but good.

Two really nice evenings.

There you are: good news!

James

Or drink the draft Mild !

Should there be any; disappearing in many establishments now.

James

It has been 'Ye Olde Barbridge Inn' for years now, though I don't think it has caught on and everyone still refers to it as the Barbridge. I think originally it was called the Kings Arms.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

It has been 'Ye Olde Barbridge Inn' for years now, though I don't think it has caught on and everyone still refers to it as the Barbridge. I think originally it was called the Kings Arms.

Confirmed by my Nicholson 1985 edition

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I do that as well, but again normally in half's. I was told it is harder to keep a good mild than a bitter

True.  Beer at The old mans pub was in firknis under the counter.  At the threat of a thunderstorm the mild was covered with wet towels to stop it 'turning'.

If it was getting on its last knockings we put it in the last barrel of bitter and cracked a new bitter.  You can't do that now!

Still well drinkable, it was called the Thursday Barrel at 1/6d a pint.  Thursday was pension day.  Cue pissed up pensioners being rounded up by their long suffering wife's.

1 minute ago, Taslim said:

True.  Beer at The old mans pub was in firknis under the counter.  At the threat of a thunderstorm the mild was covered with wet towels to stop it 'turning'.

If it was getting on its last knockings we put it in the last barrel of bitter and cracked a new bitter.  You can't do that now!

Still well drinkable, it was called the Thursday Barrel at 1/6d a pint.  Thursday was pension day.  Cue pissed up pensioners being rounded up by their long suffering wife's.

I remember going to a pub in Hull about 50 years ago where they sold "slops"

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

It was common practice a bit like the supermarket 'Still Fresh but..' scavenge cabinet.

The old man would never call them slops! In 1967 he also sold baked potatoes and flavored crisps.

16 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You could go to most pubs in the 60’s and drink ‘slops’ even if the landlord never told you so ;)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Taslim said:

It was common practice a bit like the supermarket 'Still Fresh but..' scavenge cabinet.

The old man would never call them slops! In 1967 he also sold baked potatoes and flavored crisps.

No he didn't. Flavored had a U in it

You can still drink slops if you go to yorkshire. They recycle the beer from the slops tray.