The Barbridge Inn

dor

Featured Posts

THe Barbridge Inn on the Shroppie near Nantwich has had a pretty up and down history of late.

The good news is it has been taken over by the Woodlands Brewery (www.woodlandsbrewery.co.uk

This is a local microbrewery who have spent £250,000 on refurbishing the pub and they hope to open in early March.

They aim to serve good food with their excellent beers.

Edited by dor

THe Barbridge Inn on the Shroppie near Nantwich has had a pretty up and down history of late.

The good news is it has been taken over by the Woodlands Brewery (www.woodlandsbrewery.co.uk

This is a local microbrewery who have spent £250,000 on refurbishing the pub and they hope to open in early March.

They aim to serve good food with their excellent beers.

That is good news; apart from anything else an empty pub on the canal bank is a sorry sight and it's good that a big chain isn't involved.

I think Woodlands beer is sold bottled at the general store in Wrenbury. If I'm right about that I remember the ones I tried as being very agreeable.

• 2 weeks later...

We like the Globe Inn at Linslade Bedfordshire.(very dog friendly pub) We went there 2 sundays ago, we park 2 miles away, walk to the pub, have dinner, then walk on further, turn round, back to the pub for a dessert and back to the car, all in all, we get a good walk as do the dogs, we have a chat with boaters moored up, have a nice dinner and home, it is a lovely way to spend a sunday. there are many good pubs along the cut and most are dog friendly which is good for us.

Interestingly, the revamp by Woodlands Brewery is in partnership with owners Punch Taverns.

I wonder if the pubcos are finally realising that screwing their tenants by huge rent hikes leading to empty pubs is not the way to go?

I believe they are also looking at the Romping Donkey in Hassall Green.

Called in yesterday - open since last Thursday (I think). Looks much better, tried two of the extensive range of brews (both good) - did not try the food but they were doing a roaring trade!

Yes, it opened on thursday, tried to go in but unlike previous landlords they wont let dogs in so we were turned away. The dog is only a small jack russel that sits quietly under the table in the conservatory, but no luck. I have been going to the barbridge for the last 38 years since I started boating with my parents at the age of 5. The dog always comes away with us so am really gutted we cant go anymore, hope the landlord changes his mind at some point but I understand the type of pub they are trying to create, it was very nice when we walked in, a lot of money spent on it...........jolley tar it is from now on

Oh dear, looks like my dog won't be dragging me there anytime soon then. First the smoking ban, now a dog ban, what next a beer ban? At least his fluffiness knows his way to and from the Shroppie!

I know the pub industry is difficult these days. I wish they would go back to basics and just concentrate on serving a good honest pint at a good honest price. Unfortunatly I think they're too busy trying to get their money back from the last refurbishment recreating an olde world pub that looks similar to the prior decor but without the character and feel imo! Food obviously pays better than beer.

Well, I was initially quite excited about the resurrection of the Barbridge. However the word seems to be that they fancy themselves as a fancy gastropub and don't particularly want dirty boaters cluttering up their tables.

Well, I was initially quite excited about the resurrection of the Barbridge. However the word seems to be that they fancy themselves as a fancy gastropub and don't particularly want dirty boaters cluttering up their tables.

The reality is that whilst I like nothing more than a quiet pub next to the canal with great beer, if they are still in bed with Punch Taverns they will have to turn over some serious bucks. The only way to do this with a destination venue such as the Barbridge is to serve food in either a) huge quantities such as the nasty 2for1 concept or B) good food at higher prices.

Yes, it opened on thursday, tried to go in but unlike previous landlords they wont let dogs in so we were turned away. The dog is only a small jack russel that sits quietly under the table in the conservatory, but no luck. I have been going to the barbridge for the last 38 years since I started boating with my parents at the age of 5. The dog always comes away with us so am really gutted we cant go anymore, hope the landlord changes his mind at some point but I understand the type of pub they are trying to create, it was very nice when we walked in, a lot of money spent on it...........jolley tar it is from now on

No dogs!! In that case it will be on my list of pubs to go to.

• Greenie 1

hi.

We have just been over to the Barbridge Inn for a lunchtime pint and bite to eat. We did have a pint but no food as way OTT pricewise for a lunchtime. £10 for a burger!!! I don't think so, not at lunchtime - maybe in the evening. To be honest, it must be about 2 years since we were last here but we cannot see where they have spent all this money on the refurbishment or else it had gone done hill rapidly in 2 years! We won't be calling here again unless they (a) let dogs in to the bar area and (B) alter their lunchtime prices!

hi.

We have just been over to the Barbridge Inn for a lunchtime pint and bite to eat. We did have a pint but no food as way OTT pricewise for a lunchtime. £10 for a burger!!! I don't think so, not at lunchtime - maybe in the evening. To be honest, it must be about 2 years since we were last here but we cannot see where they have spent all this money on the refurbishment or else it had gone done hill rapidly in 2 years! We won't be calling here again unless they (a) let dogs in to the bar area and (B) alter their lunchtime prices!

Now even with the commercial need to survive that is on the giddy side

For anyone on the L&L, we went for an absolutely stunning meal at the Cross Keys at East Marton on Friday where the team have really lifted their game.

Whenever we went in last year it was always friendly service and good meals - the Sunday roast was always excellent.

When did this pub have the garden theme introduced (and change its name to 'the olde barbridge')? I remember going in in the mid-90s and it didn't have the garden decor...

• 5 years later...

Came across this topic and just wondered whether the same people are still running it now as in 2012? It is pricey of course but the food and beers are consistently good and it appears to have gone from an unstable situation to one of the least likely to close along this canal. However I still remember that the people who ran it immediately beforehand in 2011 (as in the on-site staff) did a great job themselves and it wasn't quite as expensive at that point.

Sad that the pub next door the Jolly Tar has closed and been demolished in the meantime.

Edited by Philip

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

I believe it is owned by Punch Taverns, so likely to change tenant landlords fairly frequently, although I haven't been there for about 4 years.  

We went during the summer and very busy. I rang and booked a table when the chap warned me they were very busy but would fit us in somewhere, when we arrived we had a nice table but again I was warned how busy they were and there would be a hours wait for the food, which there was. Not a problem they had told me and I chose to wait. The forgot our sweet so when it came they knocked it off the bill. You can't be fairer than that. 

It is very handy for the hire boats to stop on their last night.