Strange thing happened tonight.

Sarah and Ian

Featured Posts

Ah many thanks for this. I've topped the wet battery up as it was very low. This is on a separate charger and this was switched off and there has been no smell since fingers crossed. Any idea how to get my copper looking copper again??

You need to keep your eye on that wet battery now. If its been very low it might not hold charge for more than half a day - might be a scrapper

You need to keep your eye on that wet battery now. If its been very low it might not hold charge for more than half a day - might be a scrapper

Triffic its a replacement for an old one that the old stirling charger fried. The new charger and new battery would of appeared to have done the same thing joy oh joy.

All the leisures seem ok and the inverter charger looks happy enough. Wet starter battery appeared to be ok but will check the levels later in more light have isolated the charger to this battery. Just seems odd the smell is as its worst some 50 od feet away from batteries would of thought it would have been worse in the bedroom. Neighbor said he'd had RCR around to check his engine and a once over before setting off. also all the copper that's been discoloured is at the front of the boat as well. Could this be a case for Mulder and Scully?

Which way was the wind blowing?

That's a third for hydrogen sulphide! I can think of another source - have either you or your neighbour been burning any waste plastics in the solid fuel stove. Certain types of plastic give off large amounts of sulphur when burnt, which quickly reacts with water vapour to form hydrogen sulphide.

That's a third for hydrogen sulphide! I can think of another source - have either you or your neighbour been burning any waste plastics in the solid fuel stove. Certain types of plastic give off large amounts of sulphur when burnt, which quickly reacts with water vapour to form hydrogen sulphide.

My chemistry is not wonderful but:

S + O2 +H20 = H2SO3 which is sulphurous acid

Nick

I,m not being a clever pedant but I would hate you to go through life under the misaprehension that it is Hydrogen Disulphide, its Hydrogen Sulphide :D:blush:

And just to confuse..... Hydrogen Sulphide can also be called Dihydrogen Monosulphide.

I must have an overly serious sense of humour because I can't help feeling that there is generally too much levity being exercised over this matter.

If I entered my boat to find that it smelt over- poweringly of sulphur and the copper plumbing pipes had all changed colour, I believe I would probably have booked into a local B&B until I had got to the bottom of it, especially if, as it appears is this case, I had experienced recent electrical problems that had 'fried' a battery.

I am genuinely concerned for your welfare Sarah and Ian.

Joshua

Polish your copper with 0000 wirewool, followed by a brisk buffing of Brasso (or similar)

Nah

Quick rub over with Gif cream cleaner and a scouring pad will do it in one step and probably cheaper

Triffic its a replacement for an old one that the old stirling charger fried. The new charger and new battery would of appeared to have done the same thing joy oh joy.

Out of interest, what is your CO alarm reading now? Your posts in another thread suggested that you had a minimum level of 10 rising to the mid or high teens with cooking.

I wonder if you were living with batteries gassing off in enough quantities to give you that constant background reading?

It's only a theory and could be complete rubbish so don't place too much emphasis on it please...

Regards

Rob

Out of interest, what is your CO alarm reading now? Your posts in another thread suggested that you had a minimum level of 10 rising to the mid or high teens with cooking.

I wonder if you were living with batteries gassing off in enough quantities to give you that constant background reading?

It's only a theory and could be complete rubbish so don't place too much emphasis on it please...

Regards

Rob

Rob, sorry if this sounds a bit thick, but would a CO monitor recognise hydrogen (or any other gas) given off by batteries?

Rob, sorry if this sounds a bit thick, but would a CO monitor recognise hydrogen (or any other gas) given off by batteries?

Some co alarm sensors also react in the presence of hydrogen.

Its reading 0 now put a bigger vent in the door.

and that at least is hopefully reassuring. Thanks for the update.

Sarah & Ian. Has your love life suddenly been enhanced! Found this link accidentally !:lol:

Rotten Egg Smell link

Seriously though. I hope you find the cause of this My first thought was Hydrogen Sulphide probably from the bottom of the cut, disturbed for some reason by passing boat and low water levels. However on second thoughts, I think it would take quite a concentration to darken the copper pipes.

Thanks all for the advice. Pretty sure it was my starter battery. Was topped up and charged yesterday engine started so thats a relief that the battery is ok. I switched the "not so smart" charger off. I will use it like an ordinary charger from now. Other batteries appear to be ok and no smells at all yesterday.

Charging batteries can give off hydrogen sulphide. It is toxic & smells like bad eggs. If it dissolves in water it makes an acid, this might happen on damp pipes for example. I've had it set off the LPG alarm when charging mine.

This gas would cause exactly the sort of corrosion to metals that you describe.

You need to check your ventilation if it built up enough for you to smell like this, we've never been able to smell it before the alarm alerted us.

I'd also be checking the batteries & charger in case there's a fault.

If it hasn't occurred before it suggests some change that's probably a fault in either the ventilation or the battery/charger set up.

It could be dangerous so be careful.

A good methane gas test is.Eat a lot of sprouts or beans,and take a gas alarm to bed with you and put it under the clothes.

It would be if we expelled methane. Most people don't, it's

mostly hydrogen.........oh.no! .... We're back to where we started with the OP!