Single handing in the wind

Chickadee

Featured Posts

Anyone got any secret tips? I've found it pretty easy single handing on the smaller canals but down on the wide canal here I really struggle. Jumping off with the centre line I sometimes find the boat gets away from me a little and I really struggle to get it back. I think this is mostly due to the wind down here and I'm not sure what to do. I try to go out when the wind is not to bad but if I only went out when there was no wind I'd never go out!

Anyone got any secret tips? I've found it pretty easy single handing on the smaller canals but down on the wide canal here I really struggle. Jumping off with the centre line I sometimes find the boat gets away from me a little and I really struggle to get it back. I think this is mostly due to the wind down here and I'm not sure what to do. I try to go out when the wind is not to bad but if I only went out when there was no wind I'd never go out!

The main problem I've experienced when single handing in a stiff one is getting caught on a lee shore (stuck on the lee bank by the wind). This most often occurs where the lock landing is downwind and there's no opportunity of tying on the other (windward) side. Someone suggested that the best way of coping with this is to push the stern out and reverse off the bank, but I must admit I've not tried this yet as I haven't been stranded since I saw that tip.

Several points that have served me well in windy conditions. One is secure the centre line, jump back on and steam ahead or astern, tighten that centre line by carefully steaming into it. As it tightens it will pull you into the bank, if you keep steaming you will stay alongside with only one rope out. Now you can secure all the other ropes. Stop the engine and you're secured on the windward shore.

Next is if pushed onto a lee shore by the wind, go astern, the boats stern will turn into the wind and pull you off the lee shore. When you have enough room off that shore go ahead and take up a better course to clear the lee shore.

If it’s too windy generally and difficult to maintain a course down the middle of the canal and say into a lock. Steer into the wind say 10 degrees; keep your speed up a bit more than usual, and as the lock approaches steer into it. The problem with wind also appears to be that we don't like to rest the bows on the bank as we turn; we try to turn without touching anything. Best way is to decide early what you can rest the bows on and go for that, in preference to being forced to rest your bows on another boat.

Plan ahead is the key; don’t let it take you by surprise.

Ken - master mariner foreign going

Yep use that method for getting off the bank, well I try anyway. It's getting to the bank when the wind is trying to blow the boat off the bank that I struggle with.

You may find it easier by using the old method before the advent of centre ropes.

Two long bow ropes laid on the roof on either side with the tail ends within reach of the helm.

Drive your boat quite deliberately and boldly to the landing stage,stop it,jump of clutching both bow and stern ropes,quickly secure the stern rope on a bollard then nip up forward and pull the bow in and tie off with the long bow rope.You'll find it much easier than trying to pull the whole boat in on the centre rope against the wind.

PS Also if you have a lot of junk like flower pots on the roof it all adds to extra windage.

Edited by bizzard

If the wind is blowing a houlie down the cut and you want to turn in a winding hole, it is often near-impossible as you are trying to push the stern round against the wind whilst the wind is blowing the bows sideways.

If the winding hole is deep enough, go past the turning point and back into the winding hole and let the wind take the bow round. Also works when using a junction to wind.

I've done it a few times at Barbridge Junction. Always works a treat when there is no one else around.

Just a general observation when maneuvering at close quarters to other boats in a marina for example, & particularly whilst single handed. Let the boat decide which way it prefers to turn given wind, current & prop walk, then work with that. Don't try & fight it, you will usually lose. This assumes you have the luxury of a choice of course.

Several points that have served me well in windy conditions. One is secure the centre line, jump back on and steam ahead or astern, tighten that centre line by carefully steaming into it. As it tightens it will pull you into the bank, if you keep steaming you will stay alongside with only one rope out. Now you can secure all the other ropes. Stop the engine and you're secured on the windward shore.

Next is if pushed onto a lee shore by the wind, go astern, the boats stern will turn into the wind and pull you off the lee shore. When you have enough room off that shore go ahead and take up a better course to clear the lee shore.

If it’s too windy generally and difficult to maintain a course down the middle of the canal and say into a lock. Steer into the wind say 10 degrees; keep your speed up a bit more than usual, and as the lock approaches steer into it. The problem with wind also appears to be that we don't like to rest the bows on the bank as we turn; we try to turn without touching anything. Best way is to decide early what you can rest the bows on and go for that, in preference to being forced to rest your bows on another boat.

Plan ahead is the key; don’t let it take you by surprise.

Ken - master mariner foreign going

If these tips don't work, put the kettle on and stay alongside :rolleyes:

Howard

Hi,

This is interesting, canals have long been seen by management colleges as a good training ground for keen teamwork or testing the ability of one person to manage a situation using the elements to their advantage.

I became involved in training at work and using days out on boats it quickly became apparent who would make good managers and who would work best on their own unsupervised.

The first question to ask if working a boat is how can I use the wind/water to my advantage?, the latter is best illustrated in wide locks, holding the boat against a lock wall by use of the paddles.

The second is to work out how the wind will hold the boat in a certain position, in which case you will need no ropes out - saving lots of time.

When using a boat to assess people's potential I was interested to see that once people had decided a boat needed tying in a certain place to facilitate say, lock working they would only go to that spot, no matter that there were more convenient places close by. The larger the crew the more tugging on ropes would be involved, together with shouting, revving the engine and copious use of forward and reverse.

There was little thought or forward planning at lock flights, holding the boat in a lock until the next lock is free for example. I've seem some wonderful situations in exposed lock pounds.

Just a few examples - a wise man always checks the wind direction before 'nipping behind a bush', and he extends this to boating usually.

The recession has taken it's toll, at Cowroast (pre stoppage) we used to get a couple of 'Wyverns' a week coming through filled with workers on company training exercises, now we get none.

I find, working single handed, using wide locks and closing all the gates after use it's easiest very early in the morning, pulling the boat into and out of the lock and keeping a careful eye on the wind and working with a centre rope.

Above all work steadily, carefully and don't take risks.

Leo.

The main problem is that it is difficult to describe techniques in words. Most of us have strategies to deal with the wind. The main one is to put the boat where it will be blown to where you want to go, obviously mooring on a windward bank this isn't possible.

in this situation you will get the most purchase pulling or pushing the bow.

I don't know whether you have a pole that will reach the bottom of the gloucester and sharpness but what I would normally do if I don't have time to get the front rope is secure the stern loosely then pole the front across, I've never found a wind too strong to do this. Otherwise it is a matter of getting a line to the bank from the bow. The centre line is just not giving you the leverage you need.

Otherwise, you could join your centre rope to your bow rope with a sheet bend to make a long line you can take off from the back. Having a line in stock that is the length of your boat is a bit of a waste when you can make long lines by joining ropes together.

Hi,

This is interesting, canals have long been seen by management colleges as a good training ground for keen teamwork or testing the ability of one person to manage a situation using the elements to their advantage.

I became involved in training at work and using days out on boats it quickly became apparent who would make good managers and who would work best on their own unsupervised.

The first question to ask if working a boat is how can I use the wind/water to my advantage?, the latter is best illustrated in wide locks, holding the boat against a lock wall by use of the paddles.

The second is to work out how the wind will hold the boat in a certain position, in which case you will need no ropes out - saving lots of time.

When using a boat to assess people's potential I was interested to see that once people had decided a boat needed tying in a certain place to facilitate say, lock working they would only go to that spot, no matter that there were more convenient places close by. The larger the crew the more tugging on ropes would be involved, together with shouting, revving the engine and copious use of forward and reverse.

There was little thought or forward planning at lock flights, holding the boat in a lock until the next lock is free for example. I've seem some wonderful situations in exposed lock pounds.

Just a few examples - a wise man always checks the wind direction before 'nipping behind a bush', and he extends this to boating usually.

The recession has taken it's toll, at Cowroast (pre stoppage) we used to get a couple of 'Wyverns' a week coming through filled with workers on company training exercises, now we get none.

I find, working single handed, using wide locks and closing all the gates after use it's easiest very early in the morning, pulling the boat into and out of the lock and keeping a careful eye on the wind and working with a centre rope.

Above all work steadily, carefully and don't take risks.

Leo.

Gosh. Is this standard management training speak? I don't understand a word. Again, in English please Mr Leo ;-)

I always get a little worried about not being on a boat that's in gear. I've had some (amusing) moments over the years. It is rather asking for the intervention of Sod.

The exception being in a lock to keep it against the cill or the bottom gates, but then it can't go anywhere.

I too have had some amusing moments...... :lol:

Thats how we learn

So I just make sure its sucure properly now. ;)

If the wind is blowing a houlie down the cut and you want to turn in a winding hole, it is often near-impossible as you are trying to push the stern round against the wind whilst the wind is blowing the bows sideways.

If the winding hole is deep enough, go past the turning point and back into the winding hole and let the wind take the bow round. Also works when using a junction to wind.

I've done it a few times at Barbridge Junction. Always works a treat when there is no one else around.

I did that up the Llangollen and was very disappointed there was no one watching me.

I did that up the Llangollen and was very disappointed there was no one watching me.

I was gutted on Saturday going down to Beeston in a fair old wind that no-one saw my perfect swing across the current and wind to the pontoon......lining up just perfectly for a no nonsense moor up.

I can guarantee that if the banter crew were watching, I would have ended up on the wier or across the lock mouth.

I was gutted on Saturday going down to Beeston in a fair old wind that no-one saw my perfect swing across the current and wind to the pontoon......lining up just perfectly for a no nonsense moor up.

I can guarantee that if the banter crew were watching, I would have ended up on the wier or across the lock mouth.

I DO hope you have that on video Matt?

I always get a little worried about not being on a boat that's in gear. I've had some (amusing) moments over the years. It is rather asking for the intervention of Sod.

The exception being in a lock to keep it against the cill or the bottom gates, but then it can't go anywhere.

Hi,

Agree with you about leaving a boat in gear.................Management speak......Mmmm, guess you would not have made it on the course, next question - how about crossing the canal with 2 barrels one plank and 5 people and nobody getting wet?*.

All good fun

Leo.

* Answer - leave the barrels and plank on the bank and look for the nearest bridge and pub. I went far in management life and the bonuses were good.

Two things will work to your advantage - luck, and no spectators....

Biz's comments about two ropes works well (long bow rope is certainly best, but a centre rope will do if that's all you've got to hand), but leave the stern rope a bit slack so you can pull the bow in, it never fails to amaze me how often the bow won't come in because I've pulled the stern in too far.

Maybe if I ratcheted up I could get more key takeaways from focussing on maximising my comprehension by prioritising the execution of the management upspeak process.

Err no, we tended to employ people from planet earth, I had one of those things called 'Management Speak' directory's in the early 70's, consisted of 3 columns with different words in each. Chose a random word from any column in any order, then another as many times as you wanted, sounded impressive when spouted but like your sentence, meant b***er all.

On a friendly basis I think your file would be stamped 'SA - avoid'.

Happy Days

L.

This follows on from the standard answer to the RAF promotions board in the war, when they asked an awkward question - 'With a suitable system of ropes and pulleys Sir'

It may be due to the wind, but do you bring the boat to a complete stop before jumping off? Stopping the boat with the engine is a lot easier than jumping off a moving boat and leaning back on a centre rope as the boat tries to drag you down the towpath, especially if you slip over!

Edited by blackrose

That's what I was looking for!

Mind, some might say I need no help in this department or maybe just a compatible organisational paradigm shift.

Our upgraded model now offers compatible monitored mobility.