Has anyone seen Unicorn?

Odana

Featured Posts

Message received from Brenda and the BCNS - reposting here in case anyone can help

Hi All

I received this message today and thought someone out there might be able to help here.

This boat was frequently seen on the North Stratford Canal until last year when Jeremy reluctantly decided to sell "Unicorn".

If you know anything about the whereabouts of this boat please contact Alasdair - email below.

All the best

Brenda

Brenda -

I wonder if I could ask you to help locate a boat? Jeremy Scanlon's "Unicorn" has disappeared - the usual story, (which I have to say I warned against), of stage payments starting and then ceasing. It was believed to be off down to dry dock on the Avon (Harvington?), but nobody now knows. If you or any of your contacts can help, I'd be grateful - and it would lift Jeremy's tendency to the depressive! It's full length, a 'Barney' boat out of Braunston probably 25 - 30 years old, was blue could be any colour now. The number is 68945.

Alasdair Lawrance

alawrance1 AT me DOT com

Jim Shead lists several "Unicorn's"

The one that's being looked for is second from the bottom

UNICORN Built by COLECRAFT NARROWBOAT in 1974 - Length 10.97 metres (36 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) Steel hull,colour BLACK superstructure colour GREEN a Diesel Inboard engine with a power of 1500CC. Registered with Broads Authority number 750H as a Private Motor. Last registration recorded on 1-Jun-2011.

UNICORN Built by MARYLAND - Length 4.26 metres (14 feet ) - Beam 1.52 metres (5 feet ) GRP hull,colour WHITE/RED superstructure colour BLUE a Petrol Outboard engine with a power of 7.5HP. Registered with Broads Authority number X746 as a Private Day Boat. Last registration recorded on 1-Jun-2011.

UNICORN - Length 18.29 metres (60 feet ) - Beam 2.13 metres (7 feet ) Metal hull, power of 26BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 500442 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19/04/2005.

UNICORN Built by MEL DAVIS BOATS - Length 15.24 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 999 BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 502117 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 30-May-2011.

UNICORN Built by EAST WEST MARINE - Length 13.41 metres (44 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 26 BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 516622 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 31-May-2011.

UNICORN Built by RUGBY BOATBLDERS - Length 15.24 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.61 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 16 BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 54732 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

UNICORN Built by SEAMASTER - Length 8.24 metres (27 feet ) - Beam 2.52 metres (8 feet 3 inches ) Fibre glass hull, power of 35BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 60307 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19/04/2008.

UNICORN Built by NOT KNOWN - Length 17.53 metres (57 feet 6 inches ) - Beam 2.11 metres (6 feet 11 inches ) - Draft 0.61 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 999 BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 61755 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 29-May-2011.

UNICORN - Length 10.97 metres (36 feet ) - Beam 2.07 metres (6 feet 9 inches ) Metal hull, power of 40BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 63060 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19/04/2005.

UNICORN Built by BRAUNSTON BOATS LTD - Length 21.33 metres (70 feet ) - Beam 2.07 metres (6 feet 9 inches ) - Draft 0.76 metres (2 feet 6 inches ) Metal hull, power of 18 BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 68945 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 29-May-2011.

UNICORN - Length 20.12 metres (66 feet ) - Beam 4 metres (13 feet 1 inch ) - Draft 0.8 metres (2 feet 7 inches ) Not assigned hull, . Registered with British Waterways number 516418 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 31-May-2011.

Odana and Allan's pictures are correct for a Barney boat. They had a chequer plate stern deck with no cants and a hatch (visible in the photo) in the deck (gas bottle locker I believe). Unusual to see one full length though as most that I have seen were considerably shorter.

Roger

This is Unicorn

Unicorn

If it has just gone missing, it could have passed us at Hopwood this evening. A boat went by in a southerly direction at about 7pm without any lights. By the time we looked out it was unrecognisable because of the dark.

(N.B. the picture used was from our website - as it shows on the picture! If someone had emailed us to say it was being used, we might have been able to identify the passing boat)

Really sorry saw this and did not put two and two together DOH.There was a boat called Unicorn moored on the moorings between blockhouse lock and bridge no 5 on the worcester and Birmingham above Diglis basin..It was there from about end of november to last weekend.There was one looking guy on board most of the time late 30s and on occasions there were one or two young lads.The paint work was as shown but now a lot scruffier and dirtier.

Edited because l got the wrong location and boat to start with.

14skipper

Edited by 14skipper

I find it quite strange that there has been so little activity on this thread. It is entirely different from the Holly search that we conducted with such success a few years ago and entirely different for different reasons from the Que Sera Sera "incident".

I have passed on a definite sighting (that I received by PM) to the OP by the email address on the first post and there was another sighting reported in this thread. It is all a bit dispiriting when we get a request for help and the help in given but no response made.

Perhaps I won't bother to resurrect this thread again.

blink.gif

Nick

has Unicorn been found yet? It has to be somewhere ..... everything has to be somewhere. It would be nice to get some feedback.

I find it rather frustrating when someone posts a help message, gets the help and then never bothers to acknowledge the help.

Nick