What would it take to sort this boat

Featured Posts

Finally, I always struggle to agree with Carl that costs of keeping a well restored wooden boat in good order once done are comparable with those of steel.

Just to add to this.

Graham did a detailed evaluation of the cost of his first year afloat...

We have just analysed our expenditure for our first full year afloat - during that time we travelled just under 1,000 miles and paid for several 'one-off' maintenance jobs on the boat. Nevertheless, the results were surprising and we would welcome comments from others with more experience.

image1.jpg

Now living and whisky expenses aside I am amazed at the "maintenance" and "non-recurring" boat costs (whatever they are???Graham?)

Whenever I've rescued a wooden boat it has usually cost about £200 to raise and move her and a grand or two to dock and stabilise her, to get her legal.

A regular maintenance plan, on a mint wooden hull should be around £200 a year to dock and inspect, touching up any loose caulking and worn blacking, £500 every 4 years to renew the caulking and a proper blacking and save up for the odd plank or two, every decade or so (about £1k a plank was always the ball park figure but that may have changed).

Roger may well have been run ragged, doing fund raising and community duties, or the rebuild wasn't complete (like Dane's, or Ian's or most rebuilds where there are bits that will "keep" for a few years) and there is still some big work to do.

Edited to add: I make nearly all my xmas presents and I struggle to get the bill under 10 times Graham's. I must have too many friends and family.

Edited by carlt

I agree that it does "Fall nicely on the eye", I think its just the centre section of the keelson thats terminal. Any previous work which I think from the description was about 90% hullsides and a complete rebottom appear to have been done well hence the current "Shape". where do you envisage a cost differential in maintenance Alan, I am obviously nearer to wood than steel but even so I intincively presume an easier life with timber, unless you are completely dependant on ouside labour for maintenance. Water ant timber are naturally compatible Steel is a "manufactured component and doesnt belong submerged or exposed to water so you are in a conflict of interests from the outset with a steel boat.

It's sheer prejudice the maintenance fear. I don't think it costs any more wood over steel and it's a lot easier to work with, at least you can nail it together, try doing that with a steel shell.

It's a lovely boat, a bargain. The only thing it does need is someone on it. That's a must. Wooden boats don't do left by the towpath very well.

:cheers: :cheers:

305temptationdoyoureall.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Me to a Tee!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's sheer prejudice the maintenance fear. I don't think it costs any more wood over steel and it's a lot easier to work with, at least you can nail it together, try doing that with a steel shell.

It's a lovely boat, a bargain. The only thing it does need is someone on it. That's a must. Wooden boats don't do left by the towpath very well.

Tis my dream boat, just having others see the potential and how "level" a proposition it is will have to suffice , I,m sure the vendors will find a good home for "Him"

If it really is the keelson mid-section that needs doing then a couple of weeks in dry dock would get it up to rolling restoration condition.

I'd have canvas over a new top plank and stands, ready to move onto, in less than a week.

If it really is the keelson mid-section that needs doing then a couple of weeks in dry dock would get it up to rolling restoration condition.

I'd have canvas over a new top plank and stands, ready to move onto, in less than a week.

Do I detect a divorce coming on! :D I doubt it will be there after a few days

Do I detect a divorce coming on! :D I doubt it will be there after a few days

No but I might look into some nice river moorings before the photos become my "hint,hint" screensaver, which is how I get most of my boats (and xmas and birthday presents).

If the owner is keen on keeping the boat and engine together then it might take months to sell, or worse.

No but I might look into some nice river moorings before the photos become my "hint,hint" screensaver, which is how I get most of my boats (and xmas and birthday presents).

If the owner is keen on keeping the boat and engine together then it might take months to sell, or worse.

you know when you first look into someones eyes and everything stops momentarily, this boat has done that to me, Val just said poor you its just a crush, like I was still a school boy :(

you know when you first look into someones eyes and everything stops momentarily, this boat has done that to me, Val just said poor you its just a crush, like I was still a school boy :(

Well I guess the question, for you (for anyone?) is whether if you took it on you could use it.

Like Carlt says the keelson is an easy bit, a little heavy maybe but very easy to replace in the midsection.

Engine service would be straightforward if it had been oiled after immersion, they are fairly robust to this kind of treatment.

so £15,000 including a bit of paint would get you a very beautiful functional and sustainable boat (or a knackered steel springer)

Fear may keep this boat unsold but if someone who knows and can use it, sees it, it will sell in an instant.

I see the same with sea boat, GRP boats left in marinas with nothing for years, wooden boats unused deteriorate much faster.

• Greenie 1

I agree that it does "Fall nicely on the eye", I think its just the centre section of the keelson thats terminal. Any previous work which I think from the description was about 90% hullsides and a complete rebottom appear to have been done well hence the current "Shape". where do you envisage a cost differential in maintenance Alan, I am obviously nearer to wood than steel but even so I intincively presume an easier life with timber, unless you are completely dependant on ouside labour for maintenance. Water ant timber are naturally compatible Steel is a "manufactured component and doesnt belong submerged or exposed to water so you are in a conflict of interests from the outset with a steel boat.

Yes the hull looks superficially good so far as can be seen from the photos, and yes Keelson replacement is generally simple where it's already exposed.

Trouble, potentially, is that all that good work was done 25 years ago & could easily be coming round for doing again soon, it would need a much better inspection than you can make from a few small photographs to determine its true condition.

Tim

I saw Dane out and about with its (then) new owner maybe two or three years ago. He was full of enthusiasm then; it is such a shame but wooden boats do seem to defeat many people who start off with the best of intentions.

Here's one that hasn't though - another Mersey, Weaver boat, interestingly. However, the owner has been working on it since 1994.

I saw Dane out and about with its (then) new owner maybe two or three years ago. He was full of enthusiasm then; it is such a shame but wooden boats do seem to defeat many people who start off with the best of intentions.

Here's one that hasn't though - another Mersey, Weaver boat, interestingly. However, the owner has been working on it since 1994.

That's a different Dane. The one for sale hasn't moved for over ten+ years.

Darren

Best pic I can find at the moment. New Years Eve 1977 at the end of the Slough Arm.

99.9% sure it's Dane.

Were it not for my recent purchase - I might have been tempted.

6231stDec77SloughArm.jpg

ETA - another pic.

661stJan78GJArmsHarlesden.jpg

Torture...your making me want it more when I can't afford it! Is that Elizabeth I can spy at the bottom right?

Do you know this Dane Darren?

If your talking about Dane the one for sale I don't know it personally but it's tied up quite near to us. Ive never seen it move or running but it is a lovely boat. I do believe Peter Thompson of marine engine services used to own it in the 80s, well that's what I was told. Sorry

Darren

If your talking about Dane the one for sale I don't know it personally but it's tied up quite near to us. Ive never seen it move or running but it is a lovely boat. I do believe Peter Thompson of marine engine services used to own it in the 80s, well that's what I was told. Sorry

Darren

Dont aplologise thats more useful snippets of information. It says in the ad that the moorings have ended, do you know if its a BW mooring? Do you know anything of the sinkings?

Thanks Stuart

"Dane", the Bolinder powered ex Clayton's Tar boat is paired with a converted butty called "Clara".

A Google search reveals this, which gives a good idea of what those boats look like......

Linky

These boats are on winter moorings at Fenny Stratford on the GU.

But yes, this is not the Dane we are talking about here!

Dont aplologise thats more useful snippets of information. It says in the ad that the moorings have ended, do you know if its a BW mooring? Do you know anything of the sinkings?

Thanks Stuart

Hi stuart, yes they are BW moorings cowley north offside. Don't know why it sunk but it's only happened once or twice in the ten years I've seen it.

Darren

Hi stuart, yes they are BW moorings cowley north offside. Don't know why it sunk but it's only happened once or twice in the ten years I've seen it.

Darren

Thanks, it al helps build a picture without boring the vendors :cheers:

"Dane", the Bolinder powered ex Clayton's Tar boat is paired with a converted butty called "Clara".

A Google search reveals this, which gives a good idea of what those boats look like......

Linky

These boats are on winter moorings at Fenny Stratford on the GU.

But yes, this is not the Dane we are talking about here!

Are you liable to have access to any other interesting info on this Dane Alan