What would it take to sort this boat

Featured Posts

That's no butty, that's one of the last Shropshire Union Fly boats.

Well it has become a butty now, hasn't it?

Are you liable to have access to any other interesting info on this Dane Alan

Stuart - I have known the Clayton one around for years, but your one from the advertisement I really only know as "the wooden boat that is always at Cowley". (I personally have never seen it other than floating).

Well it has become a butty now, hasn't it?

Stuart - I have known the Clayton one around for years, but your one from the advertisement I really only know as "the wooden boat that is always at Cowley". (I personally have never seen it other than floating).

Thanks, It probably seems a lot better from the warmth of my armchair and the naivety of being a hopeful dreamer.

Edited by soldthehouse

• 2 weeks later...

If your talking about Dane the one for sale I don't know it personally but it's tied up quite near to us. Ive never seen it move or running but it is a lovely boat. I do believe Peter Thompson of marine engine services used to own it in the 80s, well that's what I was told. Sorry

Darren

If it's the DANE I knew back in the eighties, it was owned and run by Richard Booth for many years. Pete Thompson had, and I believe still has, COLONEL, whether he had DANE at any time I know not.

Derek

Thanks for that, I thought it had a Bolinder so that was Clayton's.

This DANE is lovely. Was it always called DANE? I could pitch for that, but I couldn't afford the running costs - hence now boatless. There comes a time when the head wins, usually through the wallet. If only . . .

Richard Booth used to own the Thomas Clayton Dane, it ran with the station boat Ditton and was tied up at Langley Mill for most of the nineties.

Regards

Dan

My father sold ex Thomas Clayton butty Leam, then motorised and with full length conversion, to Richard and Margaret Booth in the late 70s. They were going to restore Leam to full working condition as a butty to Dane, but it never happened. In the early 80s Leam was moored in Battlebridge Basin, still converted. I heard later that Leam had been broken up, which seemed a shame, as when my Dad had her most of the hull was in fairly good nick, and she only took on water when it rained.

David

• 2 months later...