John Knill's Navy: Five Years on the Cut

carlt

Featured Posts

For those who have not yet found a copy, Knill desperandum.

Dont think ill bother. If who ever he is realy only did five years ont cut then he cant have much to tell. A bit like when these autobiographies are done by so called celebs in their 20s/30s they go something like...Well I went to school and when I left sang a song arnt I great and havnt I had an interesting life :wacko:

• Haha 1

Dont think ill bother. If who ever he is realy only did five years ont cut then he cant have much to tell. A bit like when these autobiographies are done by so called celebs in their 20s/30s they go something like...Well I went to school and when I left sang a song arnt I great and havnt I had an interesting life :wacko:

Erm, he did quite a lot on the cut.

Still, £75 is too rich for my blood. The wait goes on.....

Nothing like basing a strong opinion on total ignorance.

At least we know it's based on ignorance, and can give the opinion due weight.

I am in total agreement with you. I have never heard of him so when it stated " Five years on the cut " I assumed ( obviously wrongly ) that he had spent five years on the cut and therefore obviously had little experience. What I have done though is Google him and hope he is not the same guy I found who lost his life to the tsunami in 2004.

Edited by mrsmelly

They were five highly productive years in very difficult circumstances. He became Sir John Knill and lived at Bathampton on the K&A until his death a few years ago in 1998. Highly influencial in the restoration of the K&A a true "in the blood" enthusiast and the founder of the association of canal enterprises in 1982, this later became the K&A trade association. His business is carried on in Bath today as John Knill & Sons Ltd who hire boats.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Ahh thanks for that. I was right then in the five years bit being totaly irrelevant more like 55..........

I guess that either demonstrates your ignorance of that period, in canal history, or canal historians' stupidity in being willing to pay such high sums for the book.

I've seen it change hands for over £300, in less 'austere' days.

Blimey just read this thread...

I bought one of these last year in Warwick at a junk shop for 15 pounds!!

Bargain of last year!!

I had 3 copies.

Two I bought for a tenner, off the net, one for 10p in a jumble sale (pure luck that someone who knew me spotted it).

One of them paid for 4 cubes of oak, the other I swapped for a shelf full of books and the third is sat on my bookshelf still.

It is inevitable that some of them will be owned by people who don't know their value (especially the few ex-library hardbacks circulating) but eventually all the survivors will end up on collectors' shelves.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...
2 hours ago, Ray T said:

Just got a copy from Abe Books £20 plus postage.

Inside the front cover, in pencil, 50p!

Even so I don’t think I have done too badly.

Ray Mike will be able to put some stories to some of the info & stories as Jackson & Monk are family connected  & the picture of Charlie Lane is Aunt Violets dad 

8 hours ago, jeannette smith harrison said:

103_0075.JPG.0871733740294a701d7cef1ff6bd7d9b.JPGJust dug my copy out for the life of me i can not remember where i got it  but i think it could be  a signed first edition

any clues on the signature anyone 

I think there was only the one edition (500 copies) iirc.  They were signed by Jenkyn Knill, John’s son, who was selling them at the Braunston Boat Show shortly after John’s death.

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul H said:

I think there was only the one edition (500 copies) iirc.  They were signed by Jenkyn Knill, John’s son, who was selling them at the Braunston Boat Show shortly after John’s death.

Paul

Many thanks Paul H. Braunston is where i would no doubt have got my copy from. I remember now .Jenkyn Knill a few years back posted a lot of photos & sketches on a few of the Waterways/Canal related pages on Facebook he was on my list but have lost contact over time 

23 minutes ago, jeannette smith harrison said:

Many thanks Paul H. Braunston is where i would no doubt have got my copy from. I remember now .Jenkyn Knill a few years back posted a lot of photos & sketches on a few of the Waterways/Canal related pages on Facebook he was on my list but have lost contact over time

Edited by Paul H