Installing Morco D61B water heater

VeeJay

Featured Posts

Yes, I agree - providing answers to a hitherto not very well answered question, but I would argue for the benefit of anybody interested (like me) not just whoever first raised it.

Bones is a "she", by the way.

Apologies to 'Bones', but how is one supposed to know ? when the 'gender' is kept secret ?

I found Bones' explanation inteesting, because I can't recall ever having see that reasoning given before, (or if it has been I have forgotten!)

Me too. Seems pretty unlikely to me.

Us gas bods are never given an explanation of the thinking or logic behind the various regulations, our training just makes us aware of them (ALL of them!) and the ways in which they are complied with.

We often get asked by customers why a given requirement exists, and frankly, we often don't actually know but in order to satisfy the customer and sound knowledgeable we make up something plausible-sounding on the spot. It is a way of making the questioning stop, and after all it doesn't matter what explanation we give as we are going to comply with the regulation anyway. If we just say we don't know the rationale behind a reg, this sometimes results in pressure from the customer to ignore it.

I've never heard the explanation given to Bones either, and am inclined to think it falls into this category of 'made up on the spot' as it makes little sense to me, but what do I know?! My own (also made-up) explanation would be that the small room filling up with hot steam plays havoc with correct operation of the open flue on a Morco. I have no evidence to support this either!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Nothing to do with the open flue - its all down to pressure.

Warm, damp air is heavier than cold dry air, therefore it needs a higher pressure to push the flames up inside the boiler, the pressure is limited by the regulator so you only get small flames and therefore only 'warm' water as opposed to hot water.

Nothing to do with the open flue - its all down to pressure.

Warm, damp air is heavier than cold dry air, therefore it needs a higher pressure to push the flames up inside the boiler, the pressure is limited by the regulator so you only get small flames and therefore only 'warm' water as opposed to hot water.

Is it?

But assuming it is (which seems unlikely) given the flames ,rise because they are hot and therefore lighter than the surrounding atmosphere, they rise. If the surrounding air is heavier, this assists the buoyancy of the flames.

So I disagree. In fact I disagree with pretty much every other assertion you make in your post, too!

Is it?

But assuming it is (which seems unlikely) given the flames ,rise because they are hot and therefore lighter than the surrounding atmosphere, they rise. If the surrounding air is heavier, this assists the buoyancy of the flames.

So I disagree. In fact I disagree with pretty much every other assertion you make in your post, too!

Sorry - I didn't realise I needed to add "I've just made this up to show how easy it is to fabricate an answer"

He may well be, but having quoted and answered the OPs question it is fairly obvious that he is not seeking answers, but providing answers to the question.

As ever the obvious isn't quite so. I have been looking for answers to the very same question and came across this thread. I found the question to be unanswered entirely so I asked a BSS and gas safe engineer the question. The answer I posted was theirs, in the interest of good spirit and contributing to a knowledge pool on an uncertain discussion, I added it here for any future people who may come across this thread. It was not an 'answer' but information given to me, that had I read it here, I would have found it useful in making my decision about where to install my appliance. I have put it in the kitchen.

Gender is irrelevant.

Me too. Seems pretty unlikely to me.

Us gas bods are never given an explanation of the thinking or logic behind the various regulations, our training just makes us aware of them (ALL of them!) and the ways in which they are complied with.

We often get asked by customers why a given requirement exists, and frankly, we often don't actually know but in order to satisfy the customer and sound knowledgeable we make up something plausible-sounding on the spot. It is a way of making the questioning stop, and after all it doesn't matter what explanation we give as we are going to comply with the regulation anyway. If we just say we don't know the rationale behind a reg, this sometimes results in pressure from the customer to ignore it.

I've never heard the explanation given to Bones either, and am inclined to think it falls into this category of 'made up on the spot' as it makes little sense to me, but what do I know?! My own (also made-up) explanation would be that the small room filling up with hot steam plays havoc with correct operation of the open flue on a Morco. I have no evidence to support this either!

I can't remember the last time my bathroom filled up with hot steam!

It's to do with how the room is used.

Bedrooms you are likely to be a sleep with windows shut.

Bathrooms you are more likely be relaxed with a window shut when in bath and the heater running.

Kitchens you are likely to be awake and cooking/washing up with window open.

These all have bearing on what appliances can be fitted in what rooms.

It's to do with how the room is used.

Bedrooms you are likely to be a sleep with windows shut.

Bathrooms you are more likely be relaxed with a window shut when in bath and the heater running.

Kitchens you are likely to be awake and cooking/washing up with window open.

These all have bearing on what appliances can be fitted in what rooms.

Yes but Morco don't say you shouldn't fit them in a bedroom, I think, so whatever their logic, I'm not sure this is it.