Suppliers needed

geehils

Featured Posts

I have found this forum to be a brilliant source of knowledge and information, so thank you all.

My narrowboat is moored on the Grand Union, in High House Wharf Marina, Weedon, and I'm looking for skilled help with the following:

1. Beta Marina B43 - engine service
  2. Paint - signwriting/touch-up
  3. Electrics - supply and fit a galvanic isolator
  4. Heating - service a Mikuni MX40 CFD-3

I'd be grateful to hear recomendations from members of the forum.

Many thanks.

I have found this forum to be a brilliant source of knowledge and information, so thank you all.

My narrowboat is moored on the Grand Union, in High House Wharf Marina, Weedon, and I'm looking for skilled help with the following:

1. Beta Marina B43 - engine service
  2. Paint - signwriting/touch-up
  3. Electrics - supply and fit a galvanic isolator
  4. Heating - service a Mikuni MX40 CFD-3

I'd be grateful to hear recomendations from members of the forum.

Many thanks.

Justin Green at Braunston who also travels by van. Details here O and I think he's a CWF member

Justin Green at Braunston who also travels by van. Details here O and I think he's a CWF member

Used Justin twice last year as it happens in Weedon he was very good, best place to moor for a service is by the car wash place. Just for clarity he serviced my engine on the way to London and I was so pleased with what he did that I had him service my engine again on the way back!!!

Could not recommend the guy mentioned in post #2. He came out for a minor warranty issue with our Beta 43 and left it in an unusable condition. When I phoned him back with the problem he dismissed it as us running out of fuel - in fact we had 3/4 tank and the engine was fine after I bled the agglomerator which was 50% full of air. Not at all impressed and would never let him near my boat again.

• 2 weeks later...

I use RCR - River Canal Rescue - for engine servicing. In the quiet winter season their field engineers do servicing. I like to use them because, unlike me, they are looking at boats all year and so they tend to spot things that I never would.

I use RCR - River Canal Rescue - for engine servicing. In the quiet winter season their field engineers do servicing. I like to use them because, unlike me, they are looking at boats all year and so they tend to spot things that I never would.

id have to ask the question should you be on a boat

Edited by kittsy

id have to ask the question should you be on a boat

Each to their own - I have to admit I enjoy doing the service on our boat as it reminds me of my early car maintenance days - my car is now too complicated to do most maintenance. Some folks don't have the desire / time or mechanical understanding to do it, in their case its good to get a job done by a professional.

Just for clarity - I am 100% capable of servicing a diesel engine myself. But what I do not have is that overview, that acquired expertise that the RCR engineers have. On virtually every visit they have spotted future problems and given me advice. They have, in the long run, saved me a fortune, and a catastrophe.

I do a lot of boating on the tidal Thames and on the upper river when it is flooded. To give an example the RCR men have flagged up a potential fuel-line rupture and some unusual wear on the water pump drive-belt. I simply do not have the expertise to spot these things. Had they failed at a crucial time, who knows, I could have lost the boat. My motto: You make your own luck!

We could go a step further, and ban car ownership for everybody who is not a mechanic with a detailed knowledge of what goes on under the bonnet.......

I would prefer to ban car ownership for everybody that has not riden a motorcycle for at least 12 months. It would reduce the number of car on bike accidents because car drivers would appreciate bike limitations. However, some of todays bikers need serious remedial training and mental health assessment!

There have been times when I have seen the behaviour of a motorcyclist and thought "are you f'ing mad?"

Edited by jelunga
  • Greenie 1

The minimum age for a motorcycle license should be raised to 40 !!!

I thought it was 40+ year old bikers that had the most accidents. All those middle aged men who now find they can afford the powerful bike they hankered after in their youth, but don't have the experience to handle it.

I thought it was 40+ year old bikers that had the most accidents. All those middle aged men who now find they can afford the powerful bike they hankered after in their youth, but don't have the experience to handle it.

Correct.

I would prefer to ban car ownership for everybody that has not riden a motorcycle for at least 12 months.

Absolutely correct.

Sadly the m/c has come a very long way since the 40+ brigade last rode a bike , riding them takes skill and very good judgment ,oh and experience ! Something that you cant buy , seems to me they cant be trusted with 150hp and feel the need to ride like twats down the high street , but dont worry people , as soon as it rains ,the shinney bikes go away till the sun comes out again ! When riding in the rain will give you lots of experience !!!!

Also the 40+ born-again-biker either passed his test by riding twice round the block, with an examiner trying to observe you on foot, or additionally ride around some cones, at walking pace, if it was post 1981.

And also what was considered a powerful bike in the 60s & 70s is pretty tame now. The Norton Commando I rode in the early 70s had a power of about 60hp. My current bike is over 100 with a top speed of 160mph (so I'm told). When I did get back into biking at 50 I spent 15 months riding a 600cc Yamaha Divvy; I knew full well I would have killed myself if I had bought the bike I wanted straight away.

Wrong.

Ian.

And also what was considered a powerful bike in the 60s & 70s is pretty tame now. The Norton Commando I rode in the early 70s had a power of about 60hp. My current bike is over 100 with a top speed of 160mph (so I'm told). When I did get back into biking at 50 I spent 15 months riding a 600cc Yamaha Divvy; I knew full well I would have killed myself if I had bought the bike I wanted straight away.

Modern bikes also turn,stop and grip way better than older ones,throttle turns 2 ways....

Ian