At last, a Butty in the fleet!

GSer

Featured Posts

Seems to be flavour of the month, but i'd like say i've just put a deposit down on a Butty.

Cygnus, a part converted Little Woolwich butty will hopefully become a companion to Apache before the end of the month, weather permitting.

Really looking forward to the experience, 1935, it needs a bit of work to get it how i want it but i'm looking forward to it and i hope it will bring me the "creative space" i feel i'm missing perhaps :blush:

Seems to be flavour of the month, but i'd like say i've just put a deposit down on a Butty.

Cygnus, a part converted Little Woolwich butty will hopefully become a companion to Apache before the end of the month, weather permitting.

Really looking forward to the experience, 1935, it needs a bit of work to get it how i want it but i'm looking forward to it and i hope it will bring me the "creative space" i feel i'm missing perhaps :blush:

Well done. I've been watching this boat for some time. (Not that I want another buttytongue.gif)

Congratulations!

Looked a nice boat to me, even if still not at a cheap advertised price after it came down somewhat.

I hope you were able to strike a good deal, but I'm sure you and Cygnus will be very happy together.

I just hope you are not planning on trying to fetch it down the Grand Union for a while! :o

(And hopefully it is one of those that will actually fit Oxford locks if you go that way! :lol:)

Well done. I've been watching this boat for some time. (Not that I want another buttytongue.gif)

This is a proper butty with no engine in it Jim!

I'm going to put it on the truck to get it here, Benson lock on the Thames is shut 'till mid march, i could do with getting it earlier than Easter TBH.

Yes it is alot of money for a butty but if you look about at the ones advertised then take good look at what you are getting then Cygnus looks just about OK, only time will tell i suppose. Originally i had a shell on order, but due to circumstaces beyond anybodies control i've had to look elsewhere, when i was chatting to the builder, he suggested i looked at Cygnus 'cos it used to be his mums boat, small world really.

The two others i looked at were Ipswich, a josher with a steel part conversion, lots of water inside and presented very poorly, i nearly bit on that one and was almost tempted to make a silly offer but chickened out in the end, it was a tall boat and if it were ballasted down to a reasonable height, then it would be a deeper boat than i had hoped, the k&a is a bit shallow in the edges and i was hoping to use the butty to moor against at times.

Puppis was the other, a middle northwich with a steel top, the back cabin is burnt out and the inside is a mess, with a novices eye there looked a huge amount of work to do before the fitout even started, so not wanting another 2year project i walked away

Lyra was also availabe, but after advice from those who know better i didn't bother to view. Again it apparantly needed more steel work than i was prepared to get involved in at the present time.

We looked at Cygnus and thought it was very nice - ideal as a creative space I should have thought. Liked some of the things the guy had done with it, like using the old bottoms to make decking. Not right for us in the end of course being neither fully converted nor large, but certainly the best bet of those available I should have thought.

Oh, and never chicken out of making a stupid offer... it might just be accepted.

Welcome to the joys of owning a butty.

Thought it was time I came clean and owned up to buying Bodmin the other month! Sorry Chertsey, but it all worked out in the end. She is already well loved and undergoing a refit at the moment (Well needed). Great fun single handed towing for the first time the other week (if a little scary).

Good luck[/font]

Welcome to the joys of owning a butty.

Thought it was time I came clean and owned up to buying Bodmin the other month! Sorry Chertsey, but it all worked out in the end. She is already well loved and undergoing a refit at the moment (Well needed). Great fun single handed towing for the first time the other week (if a little scary).

Good luck[/font]

It's turned out for the best all round then as we couldn't be more happy with Bakewell. I'm so pleased that Bodmin has also found a nice big Woolwich motor to pair up with.

PS. Where are you based?

Edited by Chertsey

What's going on here then? GSer, Stagedamager and Kez have all claimed a Butty this weekend. Is there something in the water?

Congrats GSer :cheers:

Unless time has run out on it, last I heard there was still a butty FREE to a good home not far from here.

Mind you, I suspect there were good reasons why that was!

:blush:

It's turned out for the best all round then as we couldn't be more happy with Bakewell. I'm so pleased that Bodmin has also found a nice big Woolwich motor to pair up with.

PS. Where are you based?

In Kings Langley, have known Bodmin for years, just missed it last time around! Now have to sell our much loved but mismatched modern Butty, 3 boats at the moment!!! Bit tricky at locks!

I know a couple of people who will be devasted that Cygnus has gone, but congratulations! It will be nice to see her used, as I know Alan (the former owner) has moved back on to dry land, and she hasnt done much moving for a while.

Must admit, if it had sat around for much longer, I may have been tempted myself....

Has Kez got a (another) new butty?

On lease, yeah, BCN 108, or 'Joe'.

Well I was going to announce it myself, but it appears that certain people just couldn't help themselves (again) :lol:

I have indeed taken on Joe. She's going to work alongside of Ariel pricipally, but scoot up and down where she's needed. She's not a replacement for Butty, she's there to keep the strain off her!

I intend to have both of them running around behind Ariel this year :)

I was thinking it was JESTER that Mr Fincher was referring to :captain:

All the big rickys out tonight eh. Jester was one the cards to be taken on by a waterways project, but the last they heard about her was in October. Possibly a communications failure, or possibly some of the planks fell off :blink:

Edited by Kez