Beware Of Buying A Boat On Ebay

nina

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to clear a few things up. My name is Paul Smith. My site is the subject of this thread. . . . .

There is no cost to register on the site (nor will there ever be). The reason for the subscription is so that at a later date I can send out newsletters with a tiny bit of advertising in it and at least cover the cost of running the site.

I'm puzzled because you say on your site

Access to the site is free at the moment and will remain so until the marina listing is amost complete. After that the site will be locked down and a small monthly membership will be charged for access.

I'm even more puzzled why you think I'd be willing to pay for information that is freely available elsewhere. At the very least I'd expect that information to be accurate. You still have the text you lifted from the old Cowroast website when it belonged to the previous owners!

Why on earth would people wish to give their e-mail details to you to read content that isn't even original, particularly now that you've said that it IS your intention to use the addresses that you harvest to send advertisements to people.

It's called choice Dave.

The same choice people have in the upcoming CaRT election.

The same choice they have in deciding to join CWDF.

The same choice that someone has in deciding to sign up for KangarooFelchersForum

and Paul also states that he intends to send out a Newsletter (with adverts) to cover the costs of his site.

It's called choice Dave.

The same choice people have in the upcoming CaRT election.

The same choice they have in deciding to join CWDF.

The same choice that someone has in deciding to sign up for KangarooFelchersForum

The same choice that people have to publicly criticise such delivery models??

<Everybody's brain explodes, trying to work out whether to answer that one or not>

As I've said before (with apologies to Dr Johnson)

I could not fail to disagree with you less!

If you can work out whether that means I agree or disagree, would you kindly inform me? :unsure:

• Greenie 1

You can honestly see why some people are put off contributing to this forum and many have left or faded away. Paul provides a perfectly sensible, and in my opinion, honest attempt to explain the rationale and is immediately attacked about the whys and wherefores of his site; the minutiae of his terms and conditions are picked over in a tone that can be described as aggressive. There may be errors and omissions on his site but wouldn't it be better to calmly point out those differences so that he can choose to sort them (or not if he doesn't want to) rather than send in the Spanish Inquisition.........after all, 'No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition' :lol:

Roger

Have a greenie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt0Y39eMvpI

Some interesting, if agressive, points of view.

Of course all of the information on the site isn't up to date. I agree completely that much of the marina listing is incomplete, but at least there is *some* information there. I have contacted many of the marinas by email asking for the latest information about their businesses. Few respond, which surprises me given that it's free advertising on a site that sees a fair few visitors each month. The ones who do respond, and I'm only just getting around to dealing with them, get an up to date listing and the potential for more business if subscribers who read the posts make favourable comments. Debdale Wharf is a case in point. Two positive comments were posted and as a result I spoke to the owner, visited her and took a few photo's. The result of that visit will go into the next newsletter in two weeks time which certainly won't do their business any harm.

And the reason that the site has a resonable amount of traffic is because of the SEO work I've done. I use software that costs me quite a bit each month. I also pay for a good service to deliver the newsletters. The reason for me seeking advertisers or sponsorship is so that I can continue to build the site. There are some of you posting to this thread who don't think much of this site. There appear to be some who think I've stolen content from here. As I said in my previous post, let me know *what* you think has been copied and *where* it is and I'll look at it. I don't want to get a reputation for copyright theft. You will find many articles written by me in article directories around the web. They are all written by me. I may possibly have drawn inspiration for one or two posts in the early days (and I know what ammunition that's going to give some of you now) but, as far as I can remember, nothing has been copied word for word.

As for the question, "Why would people give him their email addresses?", the truth is, most don't. About one in every forty actually. That's over 4,600 to date (4,300) when the dud email addresses are removed. Why do the 2.5% of visitors subscribe. I don't know but maybe they want their information in a slightly different format to this forum. Maybe it's because of the marina listing, or the articles. Or maybe they're just not suspicious of offering their email address in return for some information about a subject they're interested in.

Paul

• Greenie 3

If you can work out whether that means I agree or disagree, would you kindly inform me? :unsure:

It is of no concern to me, whether you agree or not.

When the argument becomes silly, pointless or nasty I tend to resort to humour which many find poor, some find funny and it entertains me.

Your post is humorous and, though I am no judge as to whether it is funny or poor, it entertained me which is by far the most important thing.

• Greenie 1

It is of no concern to me, whether you agree or not.

When the argument becomes silly, pointless or nasty I tend to resort to humour which many find poor, some find funny and it entertains me.

Your post is humorous and, though I am no judge as to whether it is funny or poor, it entertained me which is by far the most important thing.

Pleased to have one satisfied customer anyway! :rolleyes:

Some interesting, if agressive, points of view.

Of course all of the information on the site isn't up to date. I agree completely that much of the marina listing is incomplete, but at least there is *some* information there. I have contacted many of the marinas by email asking for the latest information about their businesses. Few respond, which surprises me given that it's free advertising on a site that sees a fair few visitors each month. The ones who do respond, and I'm only just getting around to dealing with them, get an up to date listing and the potential for more business if subscribers who read the posts make favourable comments. Debdale Wharf is a case in point. Two positive comments were posted and as a result I spoke to the owner, visited her and took a few photo's. The result of that visit will go into the next newsletter in two weeks time which certainly won't do their business any harm.

And the reason that the site has a resonable amount of traffic is because of the SEO work I've done. I use software that costs me quite a bit each month. I also pay for a good service to deliver the newsletters. The reason for me seeking advertisers or sponsorship is so that I can continue to build the site. There are some of you posting to this thread who don't think much of this site. There appear to be some who think I've stolen content from here. As I said in my previous post, let me know *what* you think has been copied and *where* it is and I'll look at it. I don't want to get a reputation for copyright theft. You will find many articles written by me in article directories around the web. They are all written by me. I may possibly have drawn inspiration for one or two posts in the early days (and I know what ammunition that's going to give some of you now) but, as far as I can remember, nothing has been copied word for word.

As for the question, "Why would people give him their email addresses?", the truth is, most don't. About one in every forty actually. That's over 4,600 to date (4,300) when the dud email addresses are removed. Why do the 2.5% of visitors subscribe. I don't know but maybe they want their information in a slightly different format to this forum. Maybe it's because of the marina listing, or the articles. Or maybe they're just not suspicious of offering their email address in return for some information about a subject they're interested in.

Paul

As a newbie, and at the risk of getting abuse hurled at me, I would like to say that I found Paul's website some months ago and found it very useful. I had no issues with registering and have been happy with the 2 or 3 email received thus far. Have I started getting spam emails because Paul has sold my address on, well a) I very much doubt he is inclined to do that and B) I wouldn't have noticed anyway given the amount of crap I do get in my spam folder :angry:

Is some of the information out of date, of course, but as far as I can tell he is a one man band/enthusiast, so I for one applaud his efforts :cheers:

And no, I am not Paul in disguise or being paid a fiver by him to write this email :(

And yes, I find this forum very useful too, but I am not going to treat it as an exclusive source of information any more that I will Paul's website :mellow:

Edited by LazWoodbine
  • Greenie 1

As a newbie, and at the risk of getting abuse hurled at me, I would like to say that I found Paul's website some months ago and found it very useful. I had no issues with registering and have been happy with the 2 or 3 email received thus far. Have I started getting spam emails because Paul has sold my address on, well a) I very much doubt he is inclined to do that and B) I wouldn't have noticed anyway given the amount of crap I do get in my spam folder :angry:

Is some of the information out of date, of course, but as far as I can tell he is a one man band/enthusiast, so I for one applaud his efforts :cheers:

And no, I am not Paul in disguise or being paid a fiver by him to write this email :(

And yes, I find this forum very useful too, but I am not going to treat it as an exclusive source of information any more that I will Paul's website :mellow:

Would give you a greenie but have used my allocation for today, I also subscribe to Paul's site & your views echo mine.

Hello Paul, I am glad you were able to dispel a lot of myths here. I too find your site very useful and know many others do too. Good luck with your future writings.

My problem was not with Paul's site, but a link on here that I could not read without being a member