Cyclists

ChrisK

Featured Posts

The more people who cycle rather than using a car, the safer the world is for us all and not just from road accidents. Inconsiderate morons should not be tolerated, however why not welcome cyclists on the towpaths - a bit of mutual respect and understanding between themselves and pedestrians is all that is needed... When cycling I always slow to a crawl or dismount when passing pedestrians, but I recognise not all cyclists are the same. Maybe increasing the reach of the cycling proficiency scheme would help! Likewise a pedestrian who refused to go to the slightest inconvenience to let me pass even though he had seen me slowly and considerately approaching deserves to receive a stream of expletives from me.

As BW states 'Everyone who pays taxes is helping to maintain the waterways for the widest possible public benefit' (they're not funded solely through licensing) and surely cycling is of a huge benefit to the public in terms of leisure, health and reducing cars with the pollution, global warming and 1000s of yearly road deaths they cause.

I honestly haven't had any bad experiences with cyclists, other than seeing the damage they cause to some of the hills in the Peak District. I've been irritated by anglers leaving their kit and rods across the towpath in the way of my bike or feet but I wouldn't want to single them out either!

Edited by Breals

When a cyclist goes for a ride down the towpath he knows that is what he is doing, riding on a towpath where there are likely to be pedestrians.

Like it or not towpaths are multi-functional and as such steam should, rightly so, give way to sail, so to speak.

A pedestrian on a dedicated cycle track would only have himself to blame if he was knocked down by a cyclist.

The towpath is used for many reasons walking, riding, fishing, BBQ, boaters use them while tying up their boats, well they would wouldn't they. Some people just sit on a shooting stick and watch the world go by.

If the towpath is empty what does it matter what speed the cyclist is doing, but during a busy time when there is a mixture of activities going on then surely it is the responsibility of the cyclist (who is the fastest) to ensure that he causes no danger to others (slow down or get off). I have said this here before 'what good is your cycle bell if the person you are approaching from behind is deaf'.

People go to the canal to enjoy themselves, to amble along taking in the ambiance, they don't go to play dodgems with cyclists. They shouldn't have to spend their time looking over their shoulder, worrying if they are going to get knocked down . They don't want to walk down the sides of the path because that's where all the doggie doo is. They want to enjoy the walk.

No I'm sorry, but cyclists must be the ones to take the greater care. And if being bolted on to the pedals means that you can't stop, then more fool you, such lack of safety awareness can not be allowed to mix on the path with other ordinary users.

Edited by maffi mushkila

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot be doing with this tendancy to define people by groups and then collectively slag them off. I have met ignorant cyclists but it's not his bike that makes him a pain it's his behaviour, an offensive individual not a member of an offensive group. How do you think cyclists feel about a boaters dog sprawled out across the full width of the towpath? As someone who is nervous of dogs, (lets not beat about the bush, I hate the noisy filthy anti social creatures) thats towpath closed for me too. And if THAT doesn't get me flamed I don't know what will!

Dogs aren't people, (though some people are dogs).

Seriously, I didn't wake up one morning and decide to be a dog hating bastard, I just don't like them the way some folk can't abide snakes or spiders. When some huge hound has it's paws on your shoulders and is baying into your face, some sod who is supposed to have the creature under control saying "he's only a big softy really" just doesn't help.

for the very first time.yesterday a bike came along the towpath while my back was turned and i was amazed to hear the tinkle of a bell that announced a bycyle was coming.

hundreds of bikes have passed me on the towpath and that was the first time i can remember being given a warning of one approaching.

the person who had the manners to sound the bell was a child of about 8yrs age,the adult who was cycling behind the child did not as far as i could see have a bell on his bike.

the same day.

unleashed dog ran along and into length of fishing line that i was trying to bait up for my son,it came from behind with no warning jumped up to me got the hook caught on its body and yelped and run away.i lost the hook the line snapped, the dickhead dog owner was oblivious to the potential for the dog to knock the child in the canal.lets say he was told in strong language to get his shit together but he was one of those people with a head full of seagulls.i dont think even a rod rest in the eye would have woke him up.

Edited by gaggle