1958 Gardener

JerryP

Featured Posts

Yes, that looks exactly like the 1947 4LK that I had in Albion except for the crankcase breather mounted on the front rocker cover which, as Gardners (please note spelling :P ) had lots of derivatives and changes as they manufactured, is not particularly surprising.

Roger

I would suggest that it'a a Gardner, a model 4LK. Is it in your boat?

no it's not in my boat,(it could be if i could sell my flat) ,i just came across it on Appolo Duck and couldn't remember what it was.

(please note spelling :P )

sorry ,to many "e's" ,bit like the chavs round here :lol:

the engine is actually in here

That looks like Danny Williamson's work to me.

Yep, undoubtedly. One of his built to full show standard by the look of it. Albion's was built by him and also didn't have a bell housing because the 240V 7kVA generator was driven by twinned belts from grooves machined in the flywheel. See: 4LK and 4LK also

Roger

'Talking to a guy tonight who has a 3LW he's thinking of selling. Built for a boat in the USA in the 70's, but it never went as the buyer died. It's 40 odd years old, he has all the origional paperwork, but it's never been used...fitted with a PRM 500 box. I couldn't put a price on it, what do the Gardner experts think value-wise?

Andy.

PS Sorry if Iv'e hijacked etc.

Edited by Travis

Hi It looks like a 5 LW to me Joan Alice No1

I think not Joan. There are 4 pipes from the injection pump, therefore 4 cylinders. The injection pump is in the wrong place for an LW. The pump advance rod is a 4LK position and so on. It's a 4LK.

Roger

I would suggest that it'a a Gardner, a model 4LK.

Thanks for that info ,it's not the model i was thinking of

Some are but the 4LK is less well supported for spares than other Gardners such as the LW range. The 4LK timing chain is pretty well impossible now I believe.

Roger

so whats the answer should it would require repairing ? ,replacement engine ?

'Talking to a guy tonight who has a 3LW he's thinking of selling. Built for a boat in the USA in the 70's, but it never went as the buyer died. It's 40 odd years old, he has all the origional paperwork, but it's never been used...fitted with a PRM 500 box. I couldn't put a price on it, what do the Gardner experts think value-wise?

Andy.

PS Sorry if Iv'e hijacked etc.

Although it's a private sale my guess is £12k upwards.

Hard to say exactly in the present climate.

My guess was based on the price of 2/3 LWs reconditioned by reputable suppliers (!) which is about £12k + VAT and assuming it was genuinely as new and unused with all the paperwork but from a private seller and without any warranty.

We aren't miles apart so a lower price could be the result of trying to sell in a soft market compared with someone who really wants it for a new build and might pay more.

I think a Beta JD3 is now about £12k and a new RN is in the region of £20k.

ETA- I note that "dove" is reading this thread so his opinion will be worth having. Come on Andy.

Edited by andywatson

My guess was based on the price of 2/3 LWs reconditioned by reputable suppliers (!) which is about £12k + VAT and assuming it was genuinely as new and unused with all the paperwork but from a private seller and without any warranty.

We aren't miles apart so a lower price could be the result of trying to sell in a soft market compared with someone who really wants it for a new build and might pay more.

I think a Beta JD3 is now about £12k and a new RN is in the region of £20k.

ETA- I note that "dove" is reading this thread so his opinion will be worth having. Come on Andy.

At 40 years old, you'd need good evidence of how it was stored before parting with telephone numbers for it.

On the other hand, I've been told that 3LW engines are scarcer now than 2LWs, and core engines for rebuilding can fetch a higher price. To my mind, though, a 2LW is about as good an engine as you can get for a Narrow Boat.

Tim

• 2 months later...

Hi Tim

You are right the 2LW is as good as it gets.we have one fitted in our tug and its great sounds amazing.looks amazing, and just potters along at just over tickover. its also fitted with 2 alternators and gives 80amps at tickover!

JOHN