Cross straps?

GSer

Featured Posts

Nobody mentions the cross straps needing to be either side of the butty stem, this seems to allow much more control of the butty.

DSCF2276_zpsfc7774a1.jpg

Here you can see the small stud at the top of the stem post which prevents the cross straps from uncrossing. I'm not sure whether this was an original feature on Braithwaite and Kirk butties or whether it was added at some time later in its history.

Nobody mentions the cross straps needing to be either side of the butty stem, this seems to allow much more control of the butty.

If the straps bring the butty up to the fender when crossed over the stem when they are uncrossed there is more room for the butty to move around. When crossed the butty is remarkably well behaved without a steerer and tracks almost exactly the motor, very neat. Ideal for entering single locks having the starps tight as it controls the butty, keeps it from hitting the throat or tail of the lock.

I'm very new to all this butty business but trying to learn as much as I can. Very interested to hear anyhting to do with handling pairs.

NBT doesn't go anywhere without the butty (OK, 99% of the time) loaded or empty so feel free to join us for a day. Currently moving up the Thames towards the other end of the K and A.

.. and yes, when empty butty just not quite touching the fender so it can swing, but also sits on it when slowing or stopping is required - or indeed doing a three point turn as was so ably demonstrated at Braunston by Mr Lapworth.

Mornin' onionbargee - saw the bait, not biting. Ratchet straps would seem to be an eminently sensible temporary lash up for use on a more modern boat.

Unless you have proper brakes throughout and an anti-jackknife device I wouldn't tow a boat that's heavier than me on cross straps.

If I was towing it with a hollowed out half a Melon, no. smile.png

Tim

DSCF2276_zpsfc7774a1.jpg

Here you can see the small stud at the top of the stem post which prevents the cross straps from uncrossing. I'm not sure whether this was an original feature on Braithwaite and Kirk butties or whether it was added at some time later in its history.

Not likely to be original.

Things like that were often used on, eg, Hotel Boat butties where running on cross straps was the norm and the butty was ballasted down. Normally with working pairs, cross straps would be used when empty, and the bows high enough on most boats for the stem post to keep the straps apart. With a bit of weight in the boat the straps are much more prone to slipping across the stem post, hence the addition of some sort of stud such as in your picture.

Tim

We looked at a butty a few years ago, and I've just dug out the photos. This was a modern build and as Tim says, the ropes would be prone to slipping - so I like the way this was designed................

It's an interesting whatnot it's tied with laugh.png

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

Getting back on topic lol. We always tow Success on a pair of short straps, with Success pretty much tight on to Draco's fenders.

Btw, aren't tunnel hooks generally only found on GU motors?

Mike

Tunnel Hooks are fitted to horse boats & butties, most had them AFAIAA.

Motor boats have/had Ans(w)er Pins, usually a shackle on the gunwale just ahead of the back of the cabin.

Ah, maybe you're thinking of towing hooks? Some GU motors had one towing hook and one dolly on the counter.

I honestly don't know how many had them when new, some have certainly been changed for dollies over the years.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Tunnel Hooks are fitted to horse boats & butties, most had them AFAIAA.

Motor boats have/had Ans(w)er Pins, usually a shackle on the gunwale just ahead of the back of the cabin.

Ah, maybe you're thinking of towing hooks? Some GU motors had one towing hook and one dolly on the counter.

I honestly don't know how many had them when new, some have certainly been changed for dollies over the years.

Tim

Thanks for the clarification Tim, yes I was really meaning towing hook. Incidentally, Success, a Bantock Butty, never had a tunnel hook and being a butty she was designed for long distance work, as opposed to the day boats.

Mike