Cross straps?

GSer

Featured Posts

Nothing wrong with a rocky Middle Northwich!! :P (I had forgotten just how rocky they were though - especially the short ones)

Hmm, that narrows it down a bit...

Well so far as I know he's not recently tried out our short one, (and ours doesn't have an engine to match that Avatar either....)

So whether this is still a secret now seems in some considerable doubt!

Well so far as I know he's not recently tried out our short one, (and ours doesn't have an engine to match that Avatar either....)

So whether this is still a secret now seems in some considerable doubt!

I think it has spread around the system fairly well now. Lifted out an blacked it Monday to Wednesday. First outing will be to the Ricky Festival.

Edited by Speedwheel

I think it has spread around the system fairly well now. Lifted out an blacked it Monday to Wednesday. First outing will be to the Ricky Festival.

I hope it's not spread too far or you'll have trouble in some of the narrow locks :rolleyes:

Edited by Tam & Di

I hope it's not spread too far or you'll have trouble in some of the narrow locks :rolleyes:

It is 7ft 1/2 inch at the guards on the bow. The rest is 6ft 11inches or less. I've got a big winch - it'll fit!! ;)

Got it out just when it's needed most?????

(still guessing...)

Correct.

Edited by Speedwheel

Not much time for the blacking to dry then ;)

Plus you won't be wanting to go ice breaking, and mess up that shiny new blacking! :D :D

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Are we talking about the same full length boat?

I'm not talking about any full length boat, so rather suspect I've now become stuck in the wrong conversation :lol:

I was talking in the conext of Speedwheel's baot ? Which boat is your conversation about ?

Confused of Hertfordshire!

Ahh well I'm confused aswell now. The boat I'm on about isn't a shortened Middle Northwich and it doesn't have a Petter either. I assume it would still have it's Lister HR from BW maintenance days.

Ahh well I'm confused aswell now. The boat I'm on about isn't a shortened Middle Northwich and it doesn't have a Petter either. I assume it would still have it's Lister HR from BW maintenance days.

Yes,

I assume you are talking about Zodiac, but I'm not sure in what context, and there's my confusion!

BTW - I thought I was told that is another Middle Northwich with an HA3, but may be wrong on that ?

The British Waterways Historic Boats Register I have a copy of here from June 2008 lists Taygeta as having a Lister HR2.

That's certainly what it had latterly with BW.

Prior to that it had an HA3. I remember John Jinks very effectively breaking 3" to 4" of ice with it, in the HA3 period.

Has the hull been 'renewed', then?

Tim

Not much time for the blacking to dry then ;)

Plus you won't be wanting to go ice breaking, and mess up that shiny new blacking! :D :D

Tim

No not really enough time. It only had one coat. It was really just to have a look as much as anything. It will be out again later in the year for a few bits of work and a proper blacking.

Wish I had time to take it out for a spin in the ice but with a new job starting today I just haven't had time (plus the fuel pump and injectors are off at the moment so I couldn't anyway).

That's certainly what it had latterly with BW.

Prior to that it had an HA3. I remember John Jinks very effectively breaking 3" to 4" of ice with it, in the HA3 period.

Has the hull been 'renewed', then?

Tim

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately I could only see the top half of the cabin and the fore end from where I was. The boat was on the off-side at Braunston opposite the private entrance to Braunston Marina and tied between two boats.

The cabin had been either shot/sand blasted or very well rubbed down before painting in grey primer, and the front end top bends and deck have been painted in what I suppose you'd call "BW Blue". It looked as though somebody had repaired the gunnels to me, or at least of what I remember of the boat when it was tied in the winding hole at Anderton. It looked ready enough for wooden gunnels to be fitted back on.

Easily spotted to be Taygeta because of the additions to the otherwise typical Northwich cabin.

Here she was at Brinklow back in August.

I bet whoever put that dent in the front felt it!

As I understand it, no hull work had been done on her then, though the cabin was by then in primer.

IMG_1195.jpg

EDITED TO ADD:

Some more pictures from last August (of Sickle's bigger sister, of course).

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

And to show what is completely unique about the shape of a Middle Northwich's bottom and chines..... (This is what makes them roll more, folks....)

IMG_1194.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

• 1 year later...

Nobody mentions the cross straps needing to be either side of the butty stem, this seems to allow much more control of the butty.

If the straps bring the butty up to the fender when crossed over the stem when they are uncrossed there is more room for the butty to move around. When crossed the butty is remarkably well behaved without a steerer and tracks almost exactly the motor, very neat. Ideal for entering single locks having the starps tight as it controls the butty, keeps it from hitting the throat or tail of the lock.

I'm very new to all this butty business but trying to learn as much as I can. Very interested to hear anyhting to do with handling pairs.

A couple years ago I towed a boat stern to stern for a few miles to Fenny Compton as his gearbox was defective. I used crossed ropes(full length ropes crossed between his and our boats studs.

Worked fine even passing other boats on bends. I really enjoyed it. I found I could wave 'my stern' around and 'his' followed,if you get my 'drift'.

Martyn

try 2 ratchet straps ? i used them towing with Tadworth, you can adjust them just right for towing anything. Cross straps only work with the same boats with the same fenders.

As has been said tight up to the fenders, but not too tight.

I'm sure the historic boat pests will have a coronary now.