The freeze has started

Flocal

Featured Posts

Had a coal delivery yesterday and it's now in 20kg bags instead of 25kg. Easier to handle but is it just an excuse for another price hike?

A 25kg bag of Multitherm smokeless (I think it's the new name for Bargenuts or Stoveglow) cost me £8.50 last winter, now a 20kg bag costs £8. That's a 15% price increase.

Anyway, I've been standing outside all day on a ladder holding an angle grinder, so being back home onboard is a nice respite from the cold.

Edited by blackrose

Met Office

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action in England

Issued at: Wednesday 1 February 2012 at 19:57

There is a 100% probability of severe cold weather between 1000 on Wednesday and 1000 on Saturday in all parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services.

Milder conditions are likely to arrive from the northwest during Saturday and Sunday (with a snow risk expected during the transition), but with temperatures likely to rise above threshold values in all regions thereafter.

The Ural was the the hefty workhourse beasty though,built for working,i've seen women builders in Russia riding them with side-cars loaded with cement bags and bricks.

Not so sure just the Ural. The handbook of the Dnieper talked about fitting a remote clutch at the rear as being useful when ploughing!

I wondered why I was so cold today :rolleyes:

It's cold because there's been no bugger puffing hot chimney smoke all over your boat for the last two months. He's out keeping the sheep warm with his velcro gloves and fur lined wellies! :P

Got a dusting of snow here just south of Lincoln and its still falling - the car tracks haven't slushed it so it looks like its below freezing outside

Temperature seems to have gone up now. Light dusting here (just outside Lincoln), all gone by 9am. *sadface*

Forecast for tonight is for -2, with a small possibility of snow. My outer adult tells me that that will make driving tomorrow a bit unpleasant. My inner child is going SQUEEEEEE!!!111

Many thanks for this post. Gave me a right good giggle, guys came into my office to see if I was ok.

I look forward to the SQUEEEEE!!!

cheers Smudge

• Greenie 1

Been frozen in since Monday, getting thicker altho mild weather end of weekend into next week apparently, not quite the big freeze i expected boo.

Came home from work Monday night to find a whole Ash tree cut down and logged on the tow path, suffice to say my boat is a few inches lower in the water and quite a few of us are going to be quite buzy with the chainsaws this weekend.

Many thanks for this post. Gave me a right good giggle, guys came into my office to see if I was ok.

I look forward to the SQUEEEEE!!!

cheers Smudge

Minus 8 in Wiltshire tonight SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :cheers:

No ice in sight at Tod, but deep frost predicted for tonight and Friday night so there might be a slight covering on the Eastern end of the Rochdale by Saturday when the forecast is to get a bit warmer

I spoke too soon. There was no ice where I was moored, but between Tod and Hebden there were patches of thin ice up to 4mm or so but also clear areas. Al the locks were clear of ice. Was funny seeing the geese and ducks trying to work out whether the canal was solid or liquid.

Bingo,

its taken its time, but the Met Office has just got off the fence and stuck snow warnings out for large swathes of the country on Saturday and Sunday.

The fight between the Atlantic trying to push in and the Cold European block will be fought out over us.

Off to get a sledge........ :P

Bingo,

its taken its time, but the Met Office has just got off the fence and stuck snow warnings out for large swathes of the country on Saturday and Sunday.

The fight between the Atlantic trying to push in and the Cold European block will be fought out over us.

Off to get a sledge........ :P

Battle of Britain Take 2

Firesprite

In the chilly Fens

22.42 hrs Lincolnshire coast....down to 25°F ( -3.8888889 °C ) and falling. Enough ice on my pond to make the moorhens that usually sleep on the island take to the trees to avoid predators! Doesn't actually feel too bad because the wind is virtually a flat calm.

Hi all

Minus 5 here in Heysham, Tewitfield marina was ok on wedensday but froze over totaly yesterday as was all the Lancaster canal at the top end, i'm just waiting for the snow now then i can go out to play in me lanny.Arge.