perkins problems

nickc330

Featured Posts

i have a perkins4107 that has given me no end of problems ive just had her rebuilt and new injector pump and lift pump fitted because i was getting diesel in the sump as a result of these being fitted im pleased to say no more diesel in sump but the engine although being run in smokes slighty blue in colur and were leaving a trail of diesel on water does any one no the cost and procedure of cleaning/calibrating injectors as these havent been done and im sure this is were the diesel is coming from but im open to suggestions please.

Hi Nick, I run a 4108 Perkins in my boat,I get my spares from parts4engines.com and have found them very prompt with their service. You can purchase a set of injector nozzles off them for around £70,they are easy to replace and calibrate if you know anyone who has access to a hand pumped "squeak tester". I would suggest getting the injectors tested first as they are adjustable being the "pintle"type.As you have had a rebuild,You may get a little blue smoke for a while until the engine beds in but dont be frightened to give it some hard work to do as this will help.As for diesel in the exhaust,it may be full of crud due to the previous problems you had with the engine,(again,working it hard will hopefully burn this out).

Hope this helps,keep in touch,

Geoff

Not a Perkins, but when I had work done on a BMC 1800 a couple of years back, that although running fairly OK, proved to have several head gasket failures, as well as some significant cracking in the head.

Fortunately the engineer sold me a viable second hand head quite cheaply.

For quite a while after, we had periodic oily deposits coming out the exhaust, that were clearly diesel based rather than engine oil based.

I discussed it on here, and people came up with the names "slobber" or maybe "schlobber", and gave explanations of what can lead to this....

In practice, after a while, without taking further remedial action, it stopped, and has never recurred.

It is almost like a load of muck was now getting cleared out of the exhaust system that had been in there a while, and not blown out. Alternatively maybe an injector was in some way not functioning correctly all the time when put back in, perhaps because of some muck, or partial blockage, but managed to clear itself out somehow ?

Maybe either of those are fanciful explanations, I don't know, but it is right as rain now, so I have long since stopped troubling over it!

My advice is use it normally for a bit, and see if it goes away.

Not a Perkins, but when I had work done on a BMC 1800 a couple of years back, that although running fairly OK, proved to have several head gasket failures, as well as some significant cracking in the head.

For quite a while after, we had periodic oily deposits coming out the exhaust, that were clearly diesel based rather than engine oil based.

I discussed it on here, and people came up with the names "slobber" or maybe "schlobber", and gave explanations of what can lead to this....

In practice, after a while, without taking further remedial action, it stopped, and has never recurred.

It is almost like a load of muck was now getting cleared out of the exhaust system that had been in there a while, and not blown out. Alternatively maybe an injector was in some way not functioning correctly all the time when put back in, perhaps because of some muck, or partial blockage, but managed to clear itself out somehow ?

Maybe either of those are fanciful explanations, I don't know, but it is right as rain now, so I have long since stopped troubling over it!

Quite right.A narrow boat with an Perkins 4.107 or 8 would in my mind be over powerful and therefore never under much load,and as we know all diesels prefer to be under proper load to run cleanly and efficiently and so can build up all sorts of fuelly goo in the exhaust which can ooze out at minor leaks.

Hi Nick, I run a 4108 Perkins in my boat,I get my spares from parts4engines.com and have found them very prompt with their service. You can purchase a set of injector nozzles off them for around £70,they are easy to replace and calibrate if you know anyone who has access to a hand pumped "squeak tester". I would suggest getting the injectors tested first as they are adjustable being the "pintle"type.As you have had a rebuild,You may get a little blue smoke for a while until the engine beds in but dont be frightened to give it some hard work to do as this will help.As for diesel in the exhaust,it may be full of crud due to the previous problems you had with the engine,(again,working it hard will hopefully burn this out).

Hope this helps,keep in touch,

Geoff

thanks for the advice i will give her a long run at the weekend weather permitting and wife permitting (well someone has to do the locks!!) ha ha and see how she is then thanks for repliying and great advice. nick.

Quite right.A narrow boat with an Perkins 4.107 or 8 would in my mind be over powerful and therefore never under much load,and as we know all diesels prefer to be under proper load to run cleanly and efficiently and so can build up all sorts of fuelly goo in the exhaust which can ooze out at minor leaks.

firstly thanks for advice secondly how do we vote for you.

Hi Biz,I have access at my place of work to set injectors and when I replaced the nozzles,I set the pressures to the upper limit of tolerance to give the best atomization and run a 82 degree thermostat,she runs as clean as a whistle with clean dry exhaust (the engine last had a full rebuild in 1989!)Correct me if I am wrong,the horsepower of the Perk is around the same as the 1800 BMC (40-45 BHP with the mechanical governed DPA inj pump).

Regards

Geoff

Hi Biz,I have access at my place of work to set injectors and when I replaced the nozzles,I set the pressures to the upper limit of tolerance to give the best atomization and run a 82 degree thermostat,she runs as clean as a whistle with clean dry exhaust (the engine last had a full rebuild in 1989!)Correct me if I am wrong,the horsepower of the Perk is around the same as the 1800 BMC (40-45 BHP with the mechanical governed DPA inj pump).

Regards

Geoff

Regards

Geoff

Yes that that setting ect sounds good for clean running.The BMC1800 too are i think over powerful Geoff for a narrow boat unless loaded down or towing and so giving the engine some harder work to do.Also if correctly propped for that size engine a narrow boat can never go dead slow on idle this is a pain as in order to go dead slow they have to keep popping the gear into neutral or bursts of reverse to slow it down,which of course causes inaccurate steerage.You only have to watch the antics of boat owners trying to motor in and out of marinas with other boats in close proximity to witness the struggle they have with over powered boats.We get that trouble here,boats come bombing out on tick-over bashing into moored boats,usually going too fast for a person in the bow to fend off in time.I think 25hp is plenty enough power for any leisure type narrow boat.

Regards Bizzard.