The things that nobody thinks to tell you...

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Surely, as a regular on here, you will have noticed a more affable atmosphere that now pervades the threads on this forum. And not before time may I add. :cheers:

You haven't read the outrageously cliquey bullying of Nina, then?

My mop is a Tesco value one... I wonder if it's giving out the wrong message about me to potential suitors? :blink:

I suppose it depends on the valentines you were expecting:

phoca_thumb_l_valentine.jpg

My mop is a Tesco value one... I wonder if it's giving out the wrong message about me to potential suitors? :blink:

Think you may have answered your own question there!

Try T K Maxx, they have some upmarket versions there at Tesco value prices, that'll confuse 'em. :P

As a noob you told everyone you know it will only take 2 weeks to fit out your boat, 7 years later you never mention the subject again.

you can have crafty laughs at new owners with serious faces on, in brand new boats that look like the builder has covered it in superglue and ram raided a chandlers, you subsequently find all this junk abandoned at various canal side bins.

You finally become a real boater when you get a porta pottie splashback at the elsan point, and question the will to live.

your only friend is the CWDF !

• Greenie 1

i have a cuple from my short time aboard,

you get to hot in bed alot and asume its a damp bedroom and get obsest with cheking for damp all the time.

at first you have little faith in your boat and evry sound ceeps you awake until you do somthing to make you trust the boat in my case smashing ice up in the merina.

trying to tell somone who dosnt live on a boat just how usfull a masiv pole with a hook on the end is futile thay will never understand.

you permanently worry that your roaps are holding and wake up one day (at the verry leest) to realise your bow is happaly floating free.

you become obsest by the metoffice website and the weather.

you talk about things like your engen so much your landlubber mates just think you became a geek then you realise you did and love it.

you soon see that some of the newer shinyer boaters look at you disaproving when you smash ice or run down your roof as thay wouldnt dreem of doing it because it may mark. (not all but some)

you find yourself consernd about weather your bats have enuf charge in and weather there conditiond properly (by consernd i meen obsest)

a thamomitor onn your boat id just an instrament to compete with your mate nextdoor about how warm your boat was when you woke up.

in my case when i stay on land for a night or go to my girlfrends or somthing i am wishing i was back on the boat within a day.

same but difrent when i am at work all i wana do is go back and be on my boat, not to do enything as such just be there with it.

you feel good about eating beacon with a coal finger print cooked in to it,

you will lern that toast from a gas grill tasts difrent to toast from a toaster and miss it.

explaning to a customer why your shop opend late will now always becanuse you had to do somthing on your boat befor you left.

that convo will always end with you telling them thay too should look at living on a boat as its outright awsome.

you obses about those who drive with there fenders down yet offen forget to take yours up when you go.

you will never seal that gap on the toung and groov stop thinking about it beter still put a post card or somthing over it.

there is always a draft that seems biger than the vent can gov yet you can never find were its coming from

even with hours of crawling round.

centerd becoms a feeling that is no longer spiritule just when you have burn enuf fuel and use enuf warter to balence your boat out haha.

you dreem of playing batleships on a masiv scale with a merina and trafic coans as markers.

there is never enuf beer on board.

sorry for bad spelling :(

are you taking the piss ?

Followed by the gallant attempt to slam shut the flap in the cratch cover! :lol:

Only to get to the marina gate and realise you dont have your keys... :cheers:

I wonder what brought that post to life in the middle of the night! :lol:

Don't know what you mean? nothing but domestic bliss here! :wub:

Followed by the gallant attempt to slam shut the flap in the cratch cover! :lol:

:clapping::lol:

And the sparks flying out from the zip as it's wrenched down at the speed of light!

Come to think of it ? I havnt seen a nice vitriolic Nina post for some time. Has she moved on ? Have I missed something ? :unsure:

Nor me, I must log on more frequently in future, it might just keep our bar bill down too!

Edited by Doorman

A little list I made earlier on when I had some time on my hands and was feeling ponderful, about all of the little things that I have discovered and learnt since moving on board!

73 greenies now!

I would have recommended an old post about simulating a narrowboat holiday but I cannot find it.

My mop, is old, threadbare and has a plain wooden handle.

It is used to swab the roof in hot weather more often than to clean the boat.

A light line, attached by a clove-hitch to the handle, enables me to wet it in the canal whilst stood on the roof.

Starcoaster, you are a star - good luck with the article!

I too would 'run away' from election to CART but you are more representative of the average boater than the experts, especially those supported by interest groups.

Your posts have revived my interest in CWDF. You have helped to make it "a bettter place".

Was it only two months between your first post and moving on to your boat?

At the time, it seemed much longer as we awaited news with more 'cliffhanger' endings than 'The Archers' on Radio 4!

Alan

Alan, thank you, you're very kind. :blush::wub:

Your tenner's in the post.

Yes I joined here on the 7th Sept, won my boat on ebay on the 29th, and finally completed the sale and moved aboard on Hallowee'n.

Seven weeks from clueless 'I think I might like to think about perhaps one day potentially if everything went to plan and I liked it, having a boat...' to having got rid of my flat and all my furniture and moving aboard.

It may also be worth pointing out now that I have actually done it and it's too late for everyone to yell and throw things at me, that the first time I ever set foot on a narrowboat in my life was the day I went to look at what I'd bought and pay the deposit to the seller pending completion of the agreed work.

I had been on a couple of GRP boats the prior week for a look around though, if that counts! :lol:

And the first time I ever slept on a boat was my first night on board, having just handed over all the money I had in the world and sold all of my possessions to get it!

Think of me as a cautionary tale on how not to do things. :D

Edited by Starcoaster

Yes, quite possibly.

But also think of the thousands of people who'd love to do exactly what you have, but through circumstances etc., haven't been able to.

Hopefully, they will be watching with keen interest to see how your new watery way of life develops and moreover, waiting for the book to be published.

Please keep us informed of your experiences on board and how they contrast to your ordinary past life on the bank.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Yup! I know that feeling well! :lol:

But seriously, well done you! :clapping: You've really hit the ground running (or should that be hit the water sailing? :boat: ) Anyway, cheers and thanks for the many, many chuckles, and with very much admiration! :cheers:

Come to think of it ? I havnt seen a nice vitriolic Nina post for some time. Has she moved on ? Have I missed something ? :unsure:

oh good , I have been a bit worried about posting anything!! incase I get called an Alleycat on heat via a pm from her ;)

Logged in just to give a.p.now a greeny :cheers: The spelling doesn't matter! Enthusiasm trumps all! :clapping:

here here,,welcome aboard the mad world of boating apnow. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it's a thing on a long handle that allows you to belt a little white ball into orbit!

That would be a good result. In my case the little white thing generally shuttles a metre or so off in a random direction. The other sort is good for branding white shirts with a symmetrical shoe pattern.