The things that nobody thinks to tell you...

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Hi Debs and welcome, listen to Bettie, she talks a lot sense and just want to add don't let your heart rule your head (as in all things in life)

Phil

Yes but...

If your heart is in it, you'll make it work (though it may well be hard work). If your heart isn't in favour, I think you'll find it just too much.

Just speaking from my own experience as a two week newbie.

Until you try it for real, I don't think you'll know what works for you...

I wish we'd been able to talk to the real vendors rather than a "broker" who was just trying to make a profit. We received a lot of smooth talk, some, but not much, of the genuine help we needed as novices. "Matty40s" was much more practical assistance! A labourer well worthy of his hire. How much our surveyor was worth (Craig, suggested by Whilton Marina), as compared with his fee for a "full survey", we'll probably never know. He certainly was worth at least some of his fee, but still got some things wrong. Could someone start a thread recommending surveyors?

Roger

Edited by MyLady

Yes but...

Could someone start a thread recommending surveyors?

Roger

Hi Roger,

I believe there are 3 threads currently running regarding surveyors, one for the Derbyshire area, one for the NW around Manchester and another one for a different area.

I do know from reading the threads that Trevor Whitling comes Very highly recommended. He is based in Rugby, but is happy to travel up to Chorley to do our full pre-purchase. During the two phone conversations I've had with him so far, he has provided me with Very valuable information, not just about surveys, but other things that we need to consider as well. Talks with me in reassuring tones and language that novices like me can fully comprehend. And he has Very competitive rates compared to some others.

Sorry your surveyor wasn't up to your expectations, hope all works out ok for you.

B~

Hi Roger,

I believe there are 3 threads currently running regarding surveyors, one for the Derbyshire area, one for the NW around Manchester and another one for a different area.

I do know from reading the threads that Trevor Whitling comes Very highly recommended. He is based in Rugby, but is happy to travel up to Chorley to do our full pre-purchase. During the two phone conversations I've had with him so far, he has provided me with Very valuable information, not just about surveys, but other things that we need to consider as well. Talks with me in reassuring tones and language that novices like me can fully comprehend. And he has Very competitive rates compared to some others.

Sorry your surveyor wasn't up to your expectations, hope all works out ok for you.

B~

So do I,

R

Hi Debs and welcome, listen to Bettie, she talks a lot sense and just want to add don't let your heart rule your head (as in all things in life)

Phil

Mrs. Boo does indeed talk (or write) reasonably, eloquently and commonsensically.

So why the heck does she think that "people" has no vowels?

Mrs. Boo does indeed talk (or write) reasonably, eloquently and commonsensically.

So why the heck does she think that "people" has no vowels?

LOL

abbreviation I picked up in the catering trade, more years ago than I care to remember - way back in time when acronyms weren't common place tongue.png

B~

LOL

abbreviation I picked up in the catering trade, more years ago than I care to remember - way back in time when acronyms weren't common place tongue.png

B~

Abbrvtn y pckd p n th ctrng trd?

Fr ngh.

Greeno to Mr. T - the Clctt Splttr, eh?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this topic again but ................. I was reading thro' a current thread & this was linked ! I'm a newbie liveaboard & I've been reading this forum for a few weeks intending to join up eventually. This has rushed me along 'cos I had such a big laugh last night when reading it !! laugh.png

I too can identify with lots of the list. In fact only the other day I'd written on a forum that 'I think I smell of smoke all the time - but I love it !!'

The mop was hilarious too as was the 'surfing' in the middle of the bus while everyone else held on for dear life !! laugh.png

Thanks Starcoaster ..................... totally brilliant & hilarious ! clapping.gif

This did make me chuckle and there are a few things I haven't thought about before. I like to think being a property guardian has made me a little hardy and suited to life on a narrowboat - I haven't lived in a normal house with normal, reliable facilities in years! But I would really miss my leccy sucking hairdryer! And I drink and wee loads - maybe that'd change naturally if/when I find a boat?

• 5 months later...

When you run out of kindling you start eyeing up breadboards, wooden spoons and then the cabin furniture.

Every single item of clothing you own has a hole in it. Yes, even the posh non boaty stuff,how does that happen?

You cant sleep in houses theyre not bendy enough.

You have ocd about there being water in the bilge and have to keep checking.

You can reel off to anyone who listens, exact figures for how much water and electricity you get through and the correct meaurement in litres of the contents of your cassettes per week. Landlubbers might accuse each other of being 'full of sh*t' but only boaters know exactly how much.

You have to chuck away your spirit level

If you ask if its cold in winter i reserve the right to overstoke my stove and open all the airvents when you visit

If you ever have to go into town and do normal things like go to restaurants or wine bars, you identify with crocodile dundee

What is this hairstyle thing of what you speak?

You take half a ton of laundry with you when you go to stay with someone.

With me it's are the ropes tied ok and keep going out to check

Apart from the ones that are straps wink.png

True! And there are one or two other exceptions too. Springs for example.

I wonder if anyone can nominate a 'rope' on a narrowboat correctly bearing that word as a name...

MtB

True! And there are one or two other exceptions too. Springs for example.

I wonder if anyone can nominate a 'rope' on a narrowboat correctly bearing that word as a name...

MtB

Yes. The one coiled and stowed on the cabin roof.

Or was it a trick question?

Last time this cropped up I think it was RLWP who pointed out that 'rope' is the material a boat's lines are made from.

MtB

Sort of, a rope is a length of material that hasn't been put to work yet. Once it is employed it becomes a "line", "sheet", "spring", "outhaul", "painter" etc etc.

I think you can have a bell rope though. and a rope fender.