The things that nobody thinks to tell you...

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Spot on. You forgot to mention

38. You take a bag of washing when you go visiting friends and family for the weekend. You may even actively select holiday cottages or campsites based on their laundry facilities.

39. You come home from holiday with all your washing done (see above)

40. You eventually try and hide the fact that you live on a boat because you can't be bothered with answering all the same old questions again about being cold in winter, council tax, post etc

41. Over time your wardrobe changes. All your clothes now are dark blues, browns, greens and black. You have no idea when this happened and are not aware that this was a conscious decision.

42. You can identify other boaters by smell

We did 38 following on from a weeks hire boating and they had done away with the washing machine

:lol:

it takes much experience, practice and pain to gain this knowledge, and for someone to grasp it so quickly is , frankly, astonishing.

The simple ideas of "I cannot steer" are offset by the Fincher "Raymond is the wrong shape", therefore allowing re-modelling hits as the learning process is instilled.

The worries of, "I hear a bilge pump and water over there" when the boat 1'9" away has its oulet in precisely the right place.

Stary, you have nailed boating, I suggest this post is pinned, nailed and blue tacked somewhere by the mods.

It's true... Since I renamed Raymond in my head as 'new front fender' I have been much braver about the whole steering malarkey.

However I will probably continue to come out with classics such as 'how do I move 100lb ballast blocks to the boat, it's about a ten minute walk away..?'

• Haha 1

Tremendous stuff Star :clapping: really brilliant.

One other important thing is.Always keep a survival outfit in the toilet''food and amusements'' cos its usually the only refuge you have you can cringe in when pretending to be out,we're all a bit anti-social at times.But whatever you do don't move,the slightest boat movement will give you away,just sit quietly on the bog and meditate. :blink:

Tremendous stuff Star :clapping: really brilliant.

One other important thing is.Always keep a survival outfit in the toilet''food and amusements'' cos its usually the only refuge you have you can cringe in when pretending to be out,we're all a bit anti-social at times.But whatever you do don't move,the slightest boat movement will give you away,just sit quietly on the bog and meditate. :blink:

even if you darent crap......

You can reel off to anyone who listens, exact figures for how much water and electricity you get through and the correct meaurement in litres of the contents of your cassettes per week. Landlubbers might accuse each other of being 'full of sh*t' but only boaters know exactly how much.

*cleans tea off monitor, keyboard and desk*

:lol: Biz, whenever anyone knocks on the roof, at least one of my cats will bolt for the catflap, so I use their movement to mask my own leet ninja leap away from the windows and hide...

Init a pain though having to sit perfectly still with all the curtains drawn?.I reckon the bogs best along with food rations,all nice and convenient and secure like,you can stay in there for days if need be until they clear off. :mellow: But ideally you need a pre-warning of their arrival so as to instal yourself there in readiness.My cat Satchidanander knows how to work the door handle and tends to let unwanted folk in :angry: including his own mates.

I'd like to add to the list Station Tug's observation the other day that sleeping with one hand dangling out the bed is a Good Idea....

If yer fingertips get wet, you'll wake up in a flash. Far better than an automatic bilge pump. With a auto bilge pump, you might never know there was a problem!