Single manning of canal boat

sue1

Featured Posts

On narrow locks, I never bother with ropes. In my 55' boat, going up I always leave the boat in tick-over as people have already mentioned. This keeps the boat from moving around too much (open the paddles slowly though). Then the gate starts to move, I know the lock is full so I open the gate, jump back on the boat, drive out, then hover just past the gate, jump off and close the gate behind me. If in doubt here, take the stern line with you when you close the gate. Easy!

Going down I leave the boat right at the front of the lock to be absolutely sure that I'm well away from the cill (the flow of water down will keep your boat at the front of the lock when it's emptying). Once empty, I open the gates, hop back on and drive out. Again, I hover in the jaws of the lock while i pop back up to close the gates. This has always worked fine for me until a couple of weeks back going down hurlesdon bottom lock. It was 6.30am and I hadn't noticed that there is only one ladder, right in the corner of the lock. And of course my boat was in the empty lock with the stern about 15' away from the ladder!

If it wasn't so early, I would have had the bright idea of refilling the lock and looping a rope around the bollard before re-emptying. However, in my head I'm still 21 so I opted for lowering myself over the side of the lock John McClane style. It worked fine if you don't count the pulled muscles and bruised ribs!!! Still managed another 27 locks that day, finishing the other side of the tyrley flight. And they say boating is all peace and relaxation!

For any newbie wondering about single-handing - don't worry about locks too much, it's mostly common sense (I just wish I had some!). The real annoyance is the lift bridges. The problem is simple - the winding gear is on the wrong side. It always amazes me how many boaters simply hadn't considered the problem this causes for single-handers. Many a time I've been scrambling through the bushes on the wrong side of the canal, clutching the bow-line while people on the tow-path are asking "why don't you moor up on this side?" "Because then I couldn't get back on the boat once the bridge is up!!!"

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all, this is one of many question i`ll be putting on this forum, is it possible to cruise around the canal network and deal with lock by yourself, or does it require 2 people, i`m thinking ahead i wish to live on a boat but it will be by myself

Thanks for your help

susan

How you got on?

I'm new to boating and a single-hander and was able to bring my boat from Braunston down the GU to Cowroast (45 locks) in large part because of the friendly help of other boaters for whom a newbie single-hander must have been a total nightmare. However, I did make a point of not just staying on the boat but doing my bit with the paddles and also offered to stay behind to close the lock gates if the other boat wanted to get off quickly. I tended to start early and that meant I could do some locks on my own in my own time to get experience without holding anyone else up. As others have said, having a centre line is critical and I held on to it at all times that I was off the boat or wound it round a bollard in the lock or tied it to a bollard outside the lock when entering (to open the gates) or leaving (to close them). Sorry, this will all be obvious to you experienced hands. My boat is small and I'm ashamed to say that one reason I went for a small boat is that you can actually drag it into and out of locks by the centre line if your courage fails.

• 4 weeks later...

As one who has hired boats over a number of decades I rather took exception to that comment as well.

Yeah perhaps he should have phrased it "inexperienced boaters". Very clumsy remark.

Most hirers have quite a range of experience - many varied waterways and types/lengths of craft. Perhaps more than some boat owners.

When hiring, I always like to have a spell of single handing to try to gain experience. I guess the best thing I learned in locks is to open sluices slowly, wear really good footwear and do not get distracted.

I'm new to boating and a single-hander and was able to bring my boat from Braunston down the GU to Cowroast (45 locks) in large part because of the friendly help of other boaters for whom a newbie single-hander must have been a total nightmare. However, I did make a point of not just staying on the boat but doing my bit with the paddles and also offered to stay behind to close the lock gates if the other boat wanted to get off quickly. I tended to start early and that meant I could do some locks on my own in my own time to get experience without holding anyone else up. As others have said, having a centre line is critical and I held on to it at all times that I was off the boat or wound it round a bollard in the lock or tied it to a bollard outside the lock when entering (to open the gates) or leaving (to close them). Sorry, this will all be obvious to you experienced hands. My boat is small and I'm ashamed to say that one reason I went for a small boat is that you can actually drag it into and out of locks by the centre line if your courage fails.

My boat is 58 foot long and weighs 16 tons And I often pull it in and out of locks. It has a very good effect on the pounds around the middle.