Single manning of canal boat

sue1

Featured Posts

What's special about Bath deep lock?

Just Googled, it's similar to Lemonroyd lock, which I've done single handed (although I don't mind climbing ladders)..

I don't mind the ladder (much) but I'd be interested as to your method. I have failed to find a way to descend bath deep lock (14' wide lock, 18' fall) single handed

Edited by Chris Pink

What's special about Bath deep lock?

Just Googled, it's similar to Lemonroyd lock, which I've done single handed (although I don't mind climbing ladders)..

Is that a valid comparison though given Lemonroyd is mechanised??

I don't mind the ladder (much) but I'd be interested as to your method. I have failed to find a way to descend bath deep lock (wide lock, 18' fall) single handed

I'm lucky as I have a bollard in the centre of the boat (well one each side in the centre) to tie too so I tend to use only one rope, I loop it around one of those yellow things then back over my bollard then the rest of the rope up too the land so I can tighten or loosen if need be. I'm guessing you could do this with a centre line (and tighten up the slack while on way down) or bow/stern lines as well.

• Greenie 1

It's how to get back on a boat at the bottom of a wide lock with 18' fall (without making a jump from the ladder)

If you make sure the rope is loose so when you pull on it it will shorten the rope between your bollard and the yellow thingy. Lemonroyd is about 200ft long so I can position the boat nicely to do this easily though.

I'm lucky as I have a bollard in the centre of the boat (well one each side in the centre) to tie too so I tend to use only one rope, I loop it around one of those yellow things then back over my bollard then the rest of the rope up too the land so I can tighten or loosen if need be. I'm guessing you could do this with a centre line (and tighten up the slack while on way down) or bow/stern lines as well.

I have a traveller but I can't pull the boat in to the side 18' down directly. I can't remember whether the (whatdoyoumacallthems - bars that run down the lock that I hate because they are covered in fraying plastic) are in the right place to do the loopy thing you suggest but I shall certainly check as it is a frustration to me that this is the one structure I can't manage single handed with one boat. (I regularly take a pair single handed through swing bridges for instance).

This trick wouldn't work with a stern or bow line it has to be one that will pull the boat in flat to the side.

Edited by Chris Pink

I don't know lemonroyd but the mechanisation wouldn't make the difference.

It's how to get back on a boat at the bottom of a wide lock with 18' fall (without making a jump from the ladder)

Sorry if this seems a daft suggestion - but -

If you rope off the boat to the side as it falls down the lock, slipping the rope around a bollard as it falls , tie the boat off when it's at the bottom climb down the ladder and step onto the boat and then detach the line but from the boat not the bollard leaving the line tied to the bollard at top.

exit lock - moor and return to retrieve rope ???

:unsure:

Sorry if this seems a daft suggestion - but -

If you rope off the boat to the side as it falls down the lock, slipping the rope around a bollard as it falls , tie the boat off when it's at the bottom climb down the ladder and step onto the boat and then detach the line but from the boat not the bollard leaving the line tied to the bollard at top.

exit lock - moor and return to retrieve rope ???

:unsure:

it's not the length of the line (I have a 40 foot line to go up and down) it's that the angle of pull 18' down won't get the boat to the side of the lock - reliably.

in most locks <10' I can pull the boat in with the line on the traveller but 18' is too deep to get the pull.

it's not the length of the line (I have a 40 foot line to go up and down) it's that the angle of pull 18' down won't get the boat to the side of the lock - reliably.

in most locks <10' I can pull the boat in with the line on the traveller but 18' is too deep to get the pull.

Is it not possible to descend the ladder with the rope and pull the boat towards you from the bottom of the ladder, thus reducing the angle?

I have a traveller but I can't pull the boat in to the side 18' down directly. I can't remember whether the (whatdoyoumacallthems - bars that run down the lock that I hate because they are covered in fraying plastic) are in the right place to do the loopy thing you suggest but I shall certainly check as it is a frustration to me that this is the one structure I can't manage single handed with one boat. (I regularly take a pair single handed through swing bridges for instance)

If the yellow bars are not in the right place compared to the ladder as you have a small boat, etc. place the boat where ladder is and run a bow and stern line to a separate bar (using the loop method) and each rope going to land so you can control the decent.

Clutching at straws now maybe but here goes -

Ok all the above plus engine on tickover with some way (not sure what) of holding the tiller over to hold the boat the side of the lock chamber.

ed to add. mmmm just looked at an image of Bath deep lock and while this might work in Lemonroyd which is MASSIVE!! it probably won't work at Bath due to the length - boat will foul the gates due to the angle/fall length of rope - where it wouldn't even come close to doing this in Lemonroyd.

Bath -

Kennet12.jpg

Lemonroyd -

lemonroyd2.jpg

Edited by MJG

I live alone (apart from a cat and he's terrible crew) on a 70ft boat.

I think the thing is to take it slowly and get as much help as you can when you get to locks. I rely 100% on centre lines, sometimes, if its a dodgy high climb out of a lock I'll get the boat moving into the lock put it in neutral, climb up the stairs by the side of the lock with the centre line and then stop it at the top.

The main thing is to keep evaluating every situation.

1. Is this the safest way I can do this.

2. What are my escape routes/assistance options if this goes wrong?

3. Do action

4. Goto 1

I think really I have to say it's experience, If you have a bigger boat it's harder to handle and things are more likely to go wrong, I can't just turn Taf anywhere and some mooring holes are especially dodgy, increased by idiots mooring in the winding hole.

Bow fender is essential, and if it's low enough you can put the boat against the side to turn.

Gates just open automatically...

Boat goes off on own along canal before you can get too.

Where are you going to be that you'd miss the boat setting off by itself? :blink:

If you're ascending, when the boat gets to the top you won't be anywhere near the bottom paddles and gates as they will down and shut respectively, otherwise your boat wouldn't have got to the top. And even if you're setting a lock ahead, a boat in tickover pushing a gate is pretty easy to outrun. Unless your a snail. With cramp.

Clutching at straws now maybe but here goes -

Ok all the above plus engine on tickover with some way (not sure what) of holding the tiller over to hold the boat the side of the lock chamber.

That's how I do it with a full length boat, unfortunately with a 50' boat the ladder falls about 3 foot behind the boat.

Actually I do have a method; it's to hang around until I can flutter my eyelashes at someone to open the gate for me.

Where are you going to be that you'd miss the boat setting off by itself? :blink:

I think having a boat in gear in a lock for someone who's new to the locks is quite dangerous, as we know there's plenty off stuff that can go wrong without this added distraction.

Any of this less likely to happen if you're not a newbie?

You'll hopefully be more aware of the dangers, newbie not so much... Having a potential swinging gate on it's own with people around isn't good.

Edited by Robbo