macerator vs plunger

Hessie

Featured Posts

Hi, can I use a plunger on a leesan macerater toilet?

The macerater rotating sounds are the same as usual but nothing is getting sucked out of the bowl. I have been told that all that's in there is poo & value loo roll, nothing that should have blocked it anyway. So I think that its just stuck in the bend and has created an air gap.

If I use a plunger will it cause extra probs with the macerater?

H

The macerater rotating sounds are the same as usual but nothing is getting sucked out of the bowl. I have been told that all that's in there is poo & value loo roll, nothing that should have blocked it anyway. So I think that its just stuck in the bend and has created an air gap.

H

I am replying because no other macerator owners seem to have done.

All the macerators I have seen seem to be hard (plastic?) centrifugal impellers that both chop up and pump. If you manage to get the centre of this type of pump clogged then it will stop pumping. I can see nothing that a plunger would damage, although you may suck back more than you bargained for :)

No such problems with dump throughs!

H

It could be limescale. Suggest you try a cup of vinegar, worked when we had the same problem with our macerator.

Just a thought for all you macerators out there. There is a well-established (American) company who make toilets that use a high pressure water jet to perform the neccesary chopping-up of toilet waste. Since there are no moving parts within the working volume, there are no blades or macerator items to become clogged. I've seen these deal with cloth-like material and coins, all without a moment's hesitation. Take a look at www.headhunterinc.com. They have technicians based in the UK as well.