Your most memorable moment of 2011

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

2011 had many highlights for me

Top two are

1) being told after a long fight that I had got the all clear from liver disease.

2) cruising away from knowle with my new (to me) wreck of a boat and the adventure of single handing to Milton keynes

And seeing the boat getting better every visit is up there too.

Here's to a great 2012 for us all

:lol:

Having a quiet day at work Rachael, how long did that take to compile!!

If I remember rightly it's extracted directly from Phylis' holiday report

Edited by Bazza2

Boating wise doing Caen Hill for the first time and going over the aqueducts.

Biking- leaving Fort William in the morning and arriving at Three Crosses outside Swansea on the same day (just).Riding Wrynose and Hardknott passes for the first time, re-visiting Applecross ,by far and a way my favourite place in mainland Britain.

Very mixed emotions :

Saying good bye to Baldock and the canals which have been home/life/work for so many years

and getting the barge and moving onto the Thames

New water,new boat, new challenges

Chris

Oh and yes we did make the right decision ( for us)

Are we going to see some pictures of this Noord whatever (Aaaah-Vis) one day

Mike

Edited by NBMike

Has to be the Stourbridge banter for me too. An extended weekend of bantering, lots of boaty stuff to do and look at in the day time, helping Bazza celebrate his birthday, curry on Tawny Owl, being lucky enough to be present at the proposal :wub: nicely rounded off by watching the Grand Prix on Sunday with a very farty dog.

This one has to be an annual event from now on!

If I remember rightly it's extracted directly from Phylis' holiday report

Your memory must be failing you sir. This one took half an hour to write yesterday morning BEFORE work and was posted at lunchtime.

Far too busy at wirk at the moment to spend too much time on here :(

Has to be the Stourbridge banter for me too. An extended weekend of bantering, lots of boaty stuff to do and look at in the day time, helping Bazza celebrate his birthday, curry on Tawny Owl, being lucky enough to be present at the proposal :wub: nicely rounded off by watching the Grand Prix on Sunday with a very farty dog.

This one has to be an annual event from now on!

You are still trying to blame Molly!

I agree - It is an annual event from here on in :)

Probably it was getting to own this only about 40 years after I first wanted to!

DSCF4238.jpg

Far too busy at wirk at the moment to spend too much time on here :(

Do I sense a fundamental wind of change sweeping through this country ? :lol:

You are still trying to blame Molly!

I agree - It is an annual event from here on in :)

If it's an annual event...do you have to get married every year then? I'd go for the hand fasting option then!!! ;)

My memorable day was June when we finally got the boat out under her own steam for the first time instead of playing at butty! And promptly found we hadn't adjusted the controls quiet right and sped straight over to the boat sales pontoon, reversed, sped up the marina bank, reversed, and sped out onto the canal, before pulling in to re-adjust the speed wheel from 1/4 turn being full blast!!!!

Today may just turn out to be this years most memorable day!

If it's an annual event...do you have to get married every year then? I'd go for the hand fasting option then!!! ;)

We are not married (yet) Ally but I am wondering if we could make the hen party an annual event :)

Today may just turn out to be this years most memorable day!

Well it is certainly the first day in the rest of our lives so I think that makes it pretty memorable - although for some of us the memory starts to let us down a little so we might forget how memorable today was when it is replaced by tomorrow

2011 was awesome because we got married in December, having spent the whole year looking forward to and planning it :D

gallery_5944_443_38294.jpg

Boating wise, my favourite moment (among many) was being released from the Thames Lock at 6am on Good Friday and cruising round onto the Thames. The sun was just rising above the horizon, it was hazy but warming up and we were both terrified and excited. The day (and the holiday) was amazing from that moment on, but pulling round the bend onto the river was a definite highlight for me :)

gallery_5944_443_20244.jpg

Boating highlight:

The great feeling of peace and contentment every time - particularly after the usually maddening, hectic, stressful week of working around the country - I open the doors and step into the cabin of Québec.

Life highlights:

Moving into a new job the day after I was made redundant.

Seeing, for the first time, my singer/songwriter daughter play live to a large and enthusiastic audience.

Lowlight of the year:

Searching for three freezing days for our missing cat Murphy, and then finding his lifeless body wedged into a narrow gap between two houses into which he'd most likely fallen.

2011 boating highlight was doing the Stourbridge 16 with Dad and then a rapid charge up the Delph locks. In spite of everything Dad has been through health-wise he was able to do his bit which we were both proud of.

2011 lowlight, Dad had sold RN Diesel Engine Co a few days before........

We had a couple of other lowlights last year too, we did not make the Stourbridge Rally as Dad was back in hospital and we discussed selling our boat. Fortunately we have not moved forward with the sale of the boat, Dad is getting better and we are looking forward to a few boat trips this year.

Highlight(not one moment, but a moment in time) was waking up one late February morning and thinking feck it, taking a holiday and doing the whole Lee and Stort in fantastic weather, ending up at the end of March with a suntan and multitudes of photos which I still haven't managed to download all to Flickr.

A wonderful cruise, met some lovely people, only passed 5 boats moving though, many peeps still sat on Winter Moorings......

...and did some valuable research for the London Boaters on the "congestion" alleged by BW.

It also made my mind up to get out of the shite job I was in and move on.

For me great 2011 memories:

* My 3rd granddaughter arriving in this world (see my avatar - she does less frowning and more smiling now!)

* Sending off the CCT centennial cruise - picture shows one of the northern route boats at Saul

CameraZOOM-20110812091135.jpg

and later going to Hatton to help them lock down the flight - on a very hot day!

* Doing the Avon ring - my valiant missus did all the locks and braved Wast Hill tunnel :cheers:

DSCF1017.jpg