Tiller Bearing

Featured Posts

I have replaced the top bearing (Warstock) on my boat. I also bought just the Bush and o rings at the same time. I got the old bush out ok but can't get the new one back in. In fact I can't get the old one back in either. Anyone done this who can give me some tips please.

I have replaced the top bearing (Warstock) on my boat. I also bought just the Bush and o rings at the same time. I got the old bush out ok but can't get the new one back in. In fact I can't get the old one back in either. Anyone done this who can give me some tips please.

A bigger hammer? Sorry, could not resist that, and I'm sure someone will come along shortly with a more technical answer. :rolleyes:

As I have only dealt with top bearing assemblies using a ball or roller bearing I am not sure what you bush is about, but if it fits inside the rudder tube to locate the stock then I suspect the weight of the rudder may be making it all but impossible to accurately centre the bush on the tube. If so try grinding or filing a small taper on the outer, bottom of the bush to help it locate.

Now Tim will come and say I have got it all wrong - :)

As I have only dealt with top bearing assemblies using a ball or roller bearing I am not sure what you bush is about, but if it fits inside the rudder tube to locate the stock then I suspect the weight of the rudder may be making it all but impossible to accurately centre the bush on the tube. If so try grinding or filing a small taper on the outer, bottom of the bush to help it locate.

Now Tim will come and say I have got it all wrong - :)

Moi?

Never!

Actually.....

I think the type the OP is referring to sits in a cast iron housing with a spherical seating, much the same as a self-aligning flange (ball) bearing.

I wasn't aware that the plastics bit was available separately, but if that's the case the fitting procedure will be similar.

Look for two cutouts opposite one another in the bore of the iron housing. The plastics bearing, which will have a spherical outside diameter if I'm right, ought to slide past these cutouts while it is set at right angles to its working position. Once it's halfway through in this 90 degree position,you should be able to swivel it round to its proper place. Might take a bit of fiddling and wangling.

Or I could be barking up completely the wrong tree...

Tim

Moi?

Never!

Actually.....

I think the type the OP is referring to sits in a cast iron housing with a spherical seating, much the same as a self-aligning flange (ball) bearing.

I wasn't aware that the plastics bit was available separately, but if that's the case the fitting procedure will be similar.

Look for two cutouts opposite one another in the bore of the iron housing. The plastics bearing, which will have a spherical outside diameter if I'm right, ought to slide past these cutouts while it is set at right angles to its working position. Once it's halfway through in this 90 degree position,you should be able to swivel it round to its proper place. Might take a bit of fiddling and wangling.

Or I could be barking up completely the wrong tree...

Tim

Hi Tim. Yes you have got the one. Cast ally housing, two cut outs The "plastic" bushes I got from Midland Chandlers £18.00. To get the old one out I had to give it a good few blows with a plastic faced mallet. Tried the same to get it back in again but the bush wont go, afraid of breaking the cast ally housing really. To see what the bush looks like try the M C website its a SG-043 Warstock bush 1.5 inch.

Coll

Hi Tim. Yes you have got the one. Cast ally housing, two cut outs The "plastic" bushes I got from Midland Chandlers £18.00. To get the old one out I had to give it a good few blows with a plastic faced mallet. Tried the same to get it back in again but the bush wont go, afraid of breaking the cast ally housing really. To see what the bush looks like try the M C website its a SG-043 Warstock bush 1.5 inch.

Coll

Watching this thread with interest as I tried and failed to change mine for exactly the same reason. Ended up just changing the "O" ring even though there was some wear on the nylon bush.

Coll

With the ball bearing version, no significant force is required but the positioning has to be spot on before the bearing will enter. I have no experience of changing the plastics versions though.

Tim

With the ball bearing version, no significant force is required but the positioning has to be spot on before the bearing will enter. I have no experience of changing the plastics versions though.

Tim

Thanks anyway Tim. Someone must have done it!

Watching this thread with interest as I tried and failed to change mine for exactly the same reason. Ended up just changing the "O" ring even though there was some wear on the nylon bush.

Hi Tosher

I gave the black plastic ball and alloy housing to an engineer freind of mine and asked him how I should fit on to the other. Whilst we were talking he had fitted it by hand! I didnt notice he was manipulating it whilst we were talking. I asked him to show me what he did, and he just offered the ball into the back of the housing, it will only go one way, with the two cut outs. Push it well in with your thumbs, a bit of fairy liquid on the o ring will help, then manipulate the ball around in the housing. It has to be "lined up" quite accurately, but it will go. Magic. No big hammers, no vices. It works, try it.

Regards Coll

Hi Tosher

I gave the black plastic ball and alloy housing to an engineer freind of mine and asked him how I should fit on to the other. Whilst we were talking he had fitted it by hand! I didnt notice he was manipulating it whilst we were talking. I asked him to show me what he did, and he just offered the ball into the back of the housing, it will only go one way, with the two cut outs. Push it well in with your thumbs, a bit of fairy liquid on the o ring will help, then manipulate the ball around in the housing. It has to be "lined up" quite accurately, but it will go. Magic. No big hammers, no vices. It works, try it.

Regards Coll

Thanks for that "collontheavon" it sounds like it is exactly what I wanted to know. I will try it on an old one I have at home and see if it works for me, will keep you posted, Thanks again - tosher.

• 1 year later...

I wish I had searched this topic before starting to replace the Warstock bearing, after finally getting the old bearing out and trying fit the new one for nearly an hour I searched here for idea's and found this topic.

Not as easy as one of the posts suggests but finally got it fitted.

Regards

andy

Edited by andy the hammer