solar panels for beginners...

Featured Posts

1. I am a huge fan of solar.

2. If you have shore power to top your batteries is peanuts

3. to recoup your peanuts with a solar panel will take decades.

If you have no other use for solar, don't do it.

Eta: I posted before reading the rest of the topic which is rapidly going way and above what you are talking about. If you do go for solar go for 50W max and a £15 controller. If you have spare money do something else with it.

On reflection I'm inclined to agree on the cost issue - I don't have figures to hand as I've never done a proper calculation but looking at how little our Mastervolt combi seems to be using this winter just to keep them ticking over it seems daft now to invest in something too expensive.

The cheaper option you suggest may be something to consider though as it may gave some insurance against the leccy running out while I'm not there or something tripping the shore power bollard and switching the combi off.

You must be able to benefit from solar when you are a cc especially when you are moored up for your max 14 days. They must have there uses as there seems to be more and more of them on top of houses.

Youve hit the nail on the head. A ccer will benefit hugely from solar panels, especialy a substantial amount of them, but a poor sod confined to a marina with shore power will have no use for them at all except for the odd weekend or whenever they go out. Shore power thro a charger costs peanuts as already stated.

You must be able to benefit from solar when you are a cc especially when you are moored up for your max 14 days. They must have there uses as there seems to be more and more of them on top of houses.

The comparison to houses is not a valid one as there are (were) some allegedly dubious schemes that provided panels to home owners for free on the basis they would generate electricity to be put back to the national grid...

try doing that as a CC'er

Whats a substantial amount ? 250 w, 500w

Depends on your usage. I think John " Cotswolds man " as a ccer has the right idea he bought about a grands worth and they do him ok. I just have 160 watts but in the summer if I leave the boat with batts fully charged and leave the 12v fridge on they will maintain the batts. Provided its fairly bright. Today it was sunnt here and KI was getting 1.5 amps ish for about 5 hours. If you are a big tv watcher, laptops etc then obviously more will be needed. I think they are a great investment simply because they reduce wear and tear on other charging forms but a big plus point is less noise when moored up. I dont have them for cost they are more for convenience. A boater in a marina would not get the benefit.

Have my ecofan set up now to generate electricity.....................well I think I have

I purchased an Ecofan on eBay from a place in Canada. It was cheaper than buying one in the UK. They sent two of them. So I write back and let them know that we have two. They write back and say keep it as a gift. So we flogged it on eBay and now the original one cost nowt! That's a good price for a Yorkshire man. I use it on the boat and whilst it does not blow a gale. Over time it does enough to spread some of the heat down to raise the temp in the bedroom at the other end. But it does take a while.

M and M

So if I looked at spending about a £1000 for two sanyo 250w panels @ £420 each and a 15amp PR20 regulator @ £89 giving me a total of 500w do you think that would be sufficient for a cc

It will depend entirely on usage and on a day like today is here you will get NO input from them ( Its grey and raining ) But on an average summers day you would get ample for fridge/ all led lights/ pumps and some ? tv. If you are a heavy user and live like most people in houses do, that being very heavy users, then you would not have enough panels.

In our personal circumstances that size bank would be sufficient for summer use but stll needing engine/gennie when using washing machine etc.

So I am guessing now - unless you physically disconnect the supply from your solar panels via. your controller you risk over charging your batteries when on shorepower and using your mains charger or when under-way and charging via. your alternator

- I thought the controller would know this and stop passing charge to the batteries from the panel(s)

Yes it should. Assuming its a multi-stage controller it will work in a similar fashion to multi-stage charger or alt controller eventually running to float at ~ 13.5 volts when the batteries have accepted the absorb charge. Running multi-stage charge sources together should not be a problem although the more dominant will win out they should both settle to float eventually unless the batteries demand otherwise.

With only solar charge, due to the nature of pv panels & the amount of light the UK weather provides, especially in the winter, the power source is constantly rising & falling. If a fairly constant load such as a fridge is connected to batteries, in the low light intervals the panels won't be able to keep up & battery volts will fall to the point where when the controller jumps back to the timed absorb (~ 14.5 volts) phase. This situation is repeated regularly, which may give the impression the pv controller is permanently stuck at the higher voltage.

As can be seen its the batteries themselves that determine what charge is taken. The controller at float or absorb phase just provides a constant voltage source when it can.

I am not sure on the size of my friends panels (wattage) but yesterday when the sun was bright we actually saw 10 amps from the panels this lasted all of 15 second, then they went to 2 amps, a haze went across the sun. Today raining he is getting about 1amp.

He had his radio on yesterday and that was using 2 amps, so with a bit of luck and a fair wind his solar panels were running his radio

I know there are lovers of solar but as a ccer with onboard generator (7Kw) and my power usage I cannot see how they would be any good for me.

You either have to be a very small power user or cover the boat in solar panels.

So if I looked at spending about a £1000 for two sanyo 250w panels @ £420 each and a 15amp PR20 regulator @ £89 giving me a total of 500w do you think that would be sufficient for a cc

On a 12V (battery voltage) system you will need at least a 50amp regulator, at 24V at least 25A.

Richard

I am not sure on the size of my friends panels (wattage) but yesterday when the sun was bright we actually saw 10 amps from the panels this lasted all of 15 second, then they went to 2 amps, a haze went across the sun. Today raining he is getting about 1amp.

He had his radio on yesterday and that was using 2 amps, so with a bit of luck and a fair wind his solar panels were running his radio

I know there are lovers of solar but as a ccer with onboard generator (7Kw) and my power usage I cannot see how they would be any good for me.

You either have to be a very small power user or cover the boat in solar panels.

Now then Keith, before you rubbish solar panels ( which are great ) please advise in posts that you as Gibbo would say are INSANE and COOK on a boat with electric :cheers:

Given this-

The cheaper option you suggest may be something to consider though as it may gave some insurance against the leccy running out while I'm not there or something tripping the shore power bollard and switching the combi off.

was thinking this-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230702784920&category=108846&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_5380wt_1037

Thoughts ????

(advice has how to fit the panel without drilling the boat welcome too)

Edited by MJG

Given this-

was thinking this-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230702784920&category=108846&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_5380wt_1037

Thoughts ????

(advice has how to fit the panel without drilling the boat welcome too)

same thing £77

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Watt-Solar-Panel-PV-Monocrystalline-12V-50W-T-/370551534001

plus

£17

http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-charging-regulator-37774

and then to go through roof

either this

http://www.ecs-marine-equipment.co.uk/marine-equipment/extra-heavy-duty-cable-gland-item-2393.html

or this

http://www.ecs-marine-equipment.co.uk/marine-equipment/waterproof-plug-and-sockets-plastic-cap-item-2305.html

though many put the wires through a mushroom vent

Do you reckon this would be any good for keeping the starter battery topped up for us weekend boaters with no access to power?

Very small solar panel

no (has to be, at £13 per watt the most expensive solar I've seen in a long time) look for 30-50W for trickle charging in the winter

Edited by Chris Pink

I have 4 X 100 and this gives me all the electricity I want and I am a big user of electricity. I do run my engine now for about 1 1/2 hours in the evening as it gets dark about 4.30pm. I estimate that in the 4 months I have had them I have saved about £200 on diesel, this hopefully will go up as the days get longer. I am on target to save £400 this year and that is a 40% return on my investment, a lot better than 4% at the bank.

I have posted this picture before but will do it again

solar%20panels%20004c.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1316159554687

They were fitted by M&R for £1,000 including everything LINK TO M&R

solar%20panels%20008c.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1316159667123

same thing £77

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Watt-Solar-Panel-PV-Monocrystalline-12V-50W-T-/370551534001

plus

£17

http://www.maplin.co.uk/solar-charging-regulator-37774

no (has to be, at £13 per watt the most expensive solar I've seen in a long time) look for 30-50W for trickle charging in the winter

Maplins are far more expensive p/w than most other suppliers, and their kit seems doesn't seem to be very robust(read the review of the regulator). The staff don't know anything about solar, just that they sell it.

In my view, it is worth spending a bit more for kit that will last, and give you maximum power from whatever sunlight that is available.

Maplins are far more expensive p/w than most other suppliers, and their kit seems doesn't seem to be very robust(read the review of the regulator). The staff don't know anything about solar, just that they sell it.

In my view, it is worth spending a bit more for kit that will last, and give you maximum power from whatever sunlight that is available.

I would agree with that statement. I went to Maplins with someone who knew a lot more than me about solar panels and decided not to go with Maplins cheers.gifcheers.gif

Just a shame they knew nothing about Digital Areal's still it does still look nice in it's box.

Edited to say: I did appreciate all your help Matt, want to buy a Digital Areal?

Edited by cotswoldsman