HS2 Rail link petition

Emerald

Featured Posts

Wheres Marylebone come into it?, I am on about the Grand Junction line which skirts over the north of Birmingham avoids Wolverhampton and heads north.

Because we are discussing HS2, from LONDON to BIRMINGHAM, and you brought up Wrexham & Shrewsbury, which went from Wrexham to Shrewsbury then via Wolverhampton to Marylebone. No where near the defunct Grand Junction north of Brum.

A few Nimby Buckinghamshire residents and Mr Angry of Cheltenham aren't going to stop this. It is being welcomed by 90% of business leaders North of the home counties and it won't do the government any harm in the polls come the next election either. I wish it was going to happen a bit sooner though.

A few Nimby Buckinghamshire residents and Mr Angry of Cheltenham aren't going to stop this. It is being welcomed by 90% of business leaders North of the home counties and it won't do the government any harm in the polls come the next election either. I wish it was going to happen a bit sooner though.

Its going though my living room and I will be forced to move my coffee table.

Simple! Go back to 1980 when the journey time to London was faster than today from Birmingham and you could get a seat and have a proper meal on the train. The train then had a locomotive of around 3300hp and between 11-14 coaches which could be added to. The coaches were all air con and a lot more comfy than a pendelino. They have built in so much "recovery" time into the time table so trains arent "late" and have a absurd fetish for fixed formation trains that flexibility is removed and the journey time is equal to that of the 1950's.

Well I suppose it depends on one's view. I regularly use the services between Crewe and London and the 158 miles are timetabled to be done in 1hr 37 minutes southbound. On several occasions we have done it in 125 minutes. The timings in the 1980's to Crewe were well over two hours 15 minutes or more.

On the Birmingham line other services (Cross-country, London midland locals, Redditch-Litchfield, and occasionally Chiltern railways) can adversely affect the service from London, and there's often a wait outside New Street while platforms are vacated, so perhaps that's why there is more recovery time on that route?

If you dont like Virgin to Birmingham, use Chiltern, as i do, its so much cheaper and nearly as fast as that from Euston now they have improved the route with higher speed turnouts etc.

Well, I wouldn't call half a million residents of Bucks. "a few". And thats only one of many counties blighted.

And its Mr. Exasperated of Cheltenham, rather than angry!

But it would be interesting to know where you got your figure of 90% of businessmen north of the H.Cs. from. Or did you just make that up?

£32 Billion to save little more than 30 mins between 2 railway stations! You must be joking!

Brian

Why do folks still need to meet face to face???,,,, ;)

Non verbal communication makes up how much of an encounter? Speaking as a frequent flyer on the video conferencing circuit I will sing the praises of "face to face" in any negotiation.

I hope this doesn't break any rules but as i understand this rail link is likely to affect our waterways I have supported this petition

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/353

Anyone else ave any views on it?

Change happens, deal with it...

It may fly over a couple of canals, but the way I see it, there's plenty of other beuty spots to enjoy, it's a shame, but that's just the way it is.

Adam

You do know that those petitions are just a pr exersize don't you, they get filed under B , B for bin.

What i heard on the radio this morning was that thousands of people a day needed to get to Brum in a hurry ! I don't think so !

Maybe its thousands of people a day need to get out of Brum

I think the most interesting thing about this is that the government made the decision and it's taken for granted that the taxpayer will be paying. Quite a reversal for the party of the free market n'est-ce pas? And talking of the French, a long way from the days of the Channel tunnel, when Maggie decreed that it could be built and that the private sector would have to pay for it.

It looks like we're all Keynesians now.

MP.

Why do folks still need to meet face to face???,,,, ;)

They don't NEED to do so (as somebody who used to do 1 day a week in London, you are pushing at an open door), but the simple fact is that they will continue to do so, and that thinking that you can solve this by persuading people to travel less is an entirely unrealistic pipe dream.

perhaps not having 5-7 first class carriages containing approx 17 people may help??

I used LondonMidland from MK,LeightonB,Cheddington,Tring,Berko,HH,Apsley,KLangley and Watford for two years, the first class carriages(1/4 train length) were always almost, or entirely empty. The rest were cramped to extremes at times, but if you moved into space, you were rudely moved back to the poor peoples quarters, even though paying the highest commuter fares in the EU.

Except that even the fares that you were paying were less than the fare for the 1st class section.

Exageration doesn't help your case mind.

I can't think of ANY service that has 5 first class coaches, let alone 7, and in my experience 1st class appears to occupy at most 1/6 of the length of a commuter train.

In the case of the Pendolino, this is currently 4 out of 9 coaches, which is a high proportion, and 1st class is indeed more sparsely occupied. With the lengthening project, this will become 4 out of 11 (both additional carriages will be standard class)

And if we are to have this HS2 why isnt it going to terminate at St Pancras?? If I want to go shopping in Paris ill be faced with a ten minute walk down the Euston rd or a trip on the tube!!

It will link directly to HS1.

People need to slow down and stop thinking they need to buy every new fangled gadget....

You're not writing that on a computer are you? :cheers:

I now live within a mile of the HS2 route. It is beautiful countryside - and not just Bucks, but Northants and S Warks please! In balance, I think it is a good idea. Birmingham is just a stage post - eventually the line should reach Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester, and possibly on to Edinburgh and Glasgow. That will eliminate a lot of internal air traffic which has to be a good thing. I also think, in a Keynesian way, that investing money in infrastructure during a recession, or time of austerity if you will, is a good thing. You can't just cut back and cut back and then expect any economic growth - it needs financial stimulus.

If you want to immeasurably improve North Oxon and S Warks in terms of environmental impact, close the M40. But that won't happen, of course, and it wouldn't be desirable now that it is there.

Edited to say: This is a new game in which you post a response in the wrong topic and people have to work out where it really belongs :)

Edited by Dominic M

I am not a nimby but I have cruised the Oxford and seen where the excrescence will cross and, more importantly than any environmental loss, I have a friend in Ruislip , a widow , who together with her daughter and grandchildren, has seen the value of their house and their lifestyle wrecked because of an unnecessary stupidity that will not be implemented in their lifetime.Madness.

The great thing about the Oxford Canal is that if you close your eyes and cover your ears you can pretend that the M40 doesn't exist.

My family home is in Harefield and the HS2 will pass within half a mile of the house. It's brilliant, I'll be able to train spot in comfort from the bedroom window. Anyway, house prices in Middlesex need bringing under control.

As an aside, I wonder how many of the detractors who claim to know so much about the environmental impact of high speed rail have actually experienced it. I lived alongside the Cologne-Frankfurt high speed route and from my experience most of what the NIMBY's are spouting is total hogwash.

The great thing about the Oxford Canal is that if you close your eyes and cover your ears you can pretend that the M40 doesn't exist.

My family home is in Harefield and the HS2 will pass within half a mile of the house. It's brilliant, I'll be able to train spot in comfort from the bedroom window. Anyway, house prices in Middlesex need bringing under control.

As an aside, I wonder how many of the detractors who claim to know so much about the environmental impact of high speed rail have actually experienced it. I lived alongside the Cologne-Frankfurt high speed route and from my experience most of what the NIMBY's are spouting is total hogwash.

Hog wash or not my point was-and I apologise if I made it badly- why inflict the angst on large numbers of people when for political and financial reasons the project will never be finished and probably never started.

It will link directly to HS1.

You're not writing that on a computer are you? :cheers:

I now live within a mile of the HS2 route. It is beautiful countryside - and not just Bucks, but Northants and S Warks please! In balance, I think it is a good idea. Birmingham is just a stage post - eventually the line should reach Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester, and possibly on to Edinburgh and Glasgow. That will eliminate a lot of internal air traffic which has to be a good thing. I also think, in a Keynesian way, that investing money in infrastructure during a recession, or time of austerity if you will, is a good thing. You can't just cut back and cut back and then expect any economic growth - it needs financial stimulus.

If you want to immeasurably improve North Oxon and S Warks in terms of environmental impact, close the M40. But that won't happen, of course, and it wouldn't be desirable now that it is there.

I'm I loosing the plot?

Is HS2 directly linked to Cropredy Marina proposals?

:huh: