Dual Shore Supply

Dank

Featured Posts

Once more calling on the expertise out there.

Whilst I am rewiring my boat I thought it would be a good idea to have a shore supply socket on both sides of the wheelhouse, rather than have cables running round or over the boat. Thankfully before doing anything I have realised that if I just tee the lines togeather I will have a 240v feed to the male socket which is not in use. Not a good idea methinks.

I have looked at various sites but can find no double pole changeover switch that I would need, has anybody been faced with this problem and over come it or knows where I can find a suitable switch.

David.

Whilst I am rewiring my boat I thought it would be a good idea to have a shore supply socket on both sides of the wheelhouse, rather than have cables running round or over the boat. Thankfully before doing anything I have realised that if I just tee the lines togeather I will have a 240v feed to the male socket which is not in use. Not a good idea methinks.

I have looked at various sites but can find no double pole changeover switch that I would need, has anybody been faced with this problem and over come it or knows where I can find a suitable switch.

David.

I suppose the changeover switches used by standby generators might be suitable, or you could use a simple "unplug one side to plug the other" in system, it's probably not something you have to do daily (or even monthly?).

David.

Try TLC direct- I can't get a link to want to work

Or google shore supply changeover switch.

N

David.

Hi David one of these will do the job for you, or similar dry.gif

Cheers

A

You want a change over switch as said. Max current is 16amp so its not a huge switch, make before break two pole, job done. Although im surprised your going for one on both SIDES one each END is not unheard off however.

Daniel

You could use a pair of relays / contactors. You could wire the coil of the relay across the input pins of the socket so that the coil is energised when the socket is live. This would then pull in the contacts and make the circuit. If you common the outputs of the relays the connector not in use would be dead when not in use. You'd only route the live and neutural through the relays, the earths would be commoned. You'd also need relays that are capable of handling the full power requirement however they're not too expensive.

Pedant alert:

There has been mention of plugs and sockets.

Please make sure the correct term is used.

Plugs have pins

Sockets have holes (sockets)

For instance Dank is fitting plugs to the cabin side, or should be.;)

Pedant alert off.

You want a change over switch as said. Max current is 16amp so its not a huge switch, make before break two pole, job done. Although im surprised your going for one on both SIDES one each END is not unheard off however.

Daniel

Surely break before make would be safer, with yours there's the risk that the exposed pins on the 'other' plug would be momentarily live. I can't see any need for it to be make before break?

The 'wall plugs' are common;y referred to in catalogues as 'inlets'

Tim

You could have an internal cable routed from each socket with plug on the end of each. You just plug either of these into a master socket inside the boat. That way you still only ever have one external socket connected at a time.

Perfect: Keep it simple, cheap, elegant, reliable and safe. Some people like to over-complicate things!

from the external fittings run a pair of cables to a pair of sockets side by side. then have a plug connected to the boat wiring which you switch between sockets. this is only suitable if you do not use an inverter. on my sterling inverter charger I fed all incoming electric into the inverter then the inverter uses pass through technology to feed the boat sockets.

I think it's generally accepted that supply cables have holey plugs and the boat end has piny sockets ;) But yes I accept your pedantry regarding the correct terms!

Just to make it more interesting, with XLR audio plugs and sockets we generally refer to the same equivalents as female plugs and male sockets.

Female plug = holey plug, male socket = piny socket ;)

Tony

Hi David one of these will do the job for you, or similar dry.gif

Cheers

A

I think it is essential to use some form of change over arrangement. I used a switch like the one mentioned above, double pole and 4 positions, OFF-1-2-3. I use positions 1 or 2 for shore power and 3 for inverter output. Got it from Puffer Parts for about £25ish and works a treat.

Hello,

We have shore supply sockets at both the stern & bow. There is a three way switch on the 240v panel that we use to select "aft/invertor/bow". Looks like just a simple rotary switch, but never had cause to investigate more closely.

Callum