BW not allowing me to trade as a floating cafe in Hebden Bridge

Pirate Jane

Featured Posts

Hi Jane,

I also know Hebden well and the Hebden boaters community. I really think a boat cafe by the park could work (in the summer anyway) as the park is always packed and it's a trek to the nearest food outlet. Also, being Hebden, there will be absolutely no problem with the vegetarianism. As long as you sold 'normal' stuff like crisps and chocolate bars as well I think there'd be plenty of trade, from the kids at the skate park etc.

Having said that I think there are some major difficulties in making it work. The barrier of the fence means that really there are only a few spots along the whole stretch by the park that would be ideal for the cafe. If you can't get BW to allocate one of these spots to you permanently (which seems unlikely, perhaps unless you pay a fair whack for it which might make your business model unfeasible) I think you'll struggle to compete for the space with both visitors and local boaters, most of whom come to the park for a couple of weeks now and then as it's near the water point etc. If it's a wet summer, the towpath along there is a mudbath (probably the worst maintained bit of the Rochdale!) which could hinder some potential customers.

A few people have suggested travelling along the canal (coming back and forth to Hebden) but I can't see that working along the Calder Valley. By the Stubbing Wharf is busy but not sure how the pub would view competition. The canal in Tod is less of a feature in the town and skirts the busier areas. Perhaps Sowerby Bridge is a possibility but on my travels I can't think of another good spot eastwards that has a lot of passing trade in the same way.

Good luck with it, but unless BW take a liking to the idea I can't see an easy way round the obstacles.

Hi to everyone who has contributed to this thread,

Again many thanks to you for offering advice, support and information. Yesterday I met up with someone from BW and looked at locations and discussed the business plan. It was a very successful meeting and I think that having been on this forum really helped because I was able to put forward different views on the matter (positive and negative). Fingers crossed the future of my floating cafe looks good. :cheers:

Cheers again and hoping you all have a wonderful year.

Jane

I'm afraid that your proposal seems to be all about providing a facility that is driven by what you want, rather than what the market wants. That is, of course fine, and if you want to open a business that attracts little custom and makes no money, it is a free country, but when you need to appropriate a scarce public resource to do so, it ceases to be fine.

Exactly right, and so concisely put it is almost poetry.

Re. taking up valuable visitor moorings, IME Braunston is much busier than Hebden Bridge......

I don't mind if these boats are taking up visitor moorings, personally, never heard anyone in overcrowded London complain about it either, it could be argued that all of the cafe, restaurant, educational boats in London are also taking up a scarce resource, (even the Bw barge, Jena in Paddington), but I don't think anyone ever complained? I welcome the extra colour to the towpath.

Re. taking up valuable visitor moorings, IME Braunston is much busier than Hebden Bridge......

I don't mind if these boats are taking up visitor moorings, personally, never heard anyone in overcrowded London complain about it either, it could be argued that all of the cafe, restaurant, educational boats in London are also taking up a scarce resource, (even the Bw barge, Jena in Paddington), but I don't think anyone ever complained? I welcome the extra colour to the towpath.

I have complained about static trading boats taking up space in Stratford Basin, Ice Cream boat, art gallery and at one time (when I complained) a drop in centre.

If, at any point during the year, a location gets to a point where people can't moor for the night, then it is at capacity. I don't see that there can be much of a scale of business there. If the site fills up, then taking space away will be detrimental to those who want to moor there.

Now, that doesn't mean that it is a complete non-starter. As you say, if a proposed business will enhance the canal environment in other ways, it may well be that it can be judged that the additional amenity makes it worth losing the mooring space. That is, however, the issue at the heart of this discussion.

Is the proposed cafe going to be such an amenity that benefits the canal environment, or will it simply be the OP "living the dream"?

Nothing wrong with living the dream, provided it isn't at other people's expense.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh thanks to you all for reading my post and coming up with ideas and info :)

So many replies so here is a bit more info:

I have got a business plan and submitted it to BW. (Prior to this I have already had a business which was a success so realise that I have to put in the ground work) I have discussed the idea with the council, waterscape, tourist board. I have talked to people who have a boat hire business in the area (Bronte Boats)and they are supportive I have written to everyone who is also doing this kind of thing and some have replied to offer help. I also am a member of the boat club in our local area and have many friends who live on boats in the area. Everyone is very keen for my business to happen. This isn't just a random idea, I have been wanting to do it for a long time and have a lot of support for it. As well as providing drinks and snacks to tourists in the summer ( thus encouraging people to use the canal walk )I am wanting to provide a "dish of the day" at affordable prices for the boating community all year round. The visitor moorings are for 24 hours only so I would not be using them and if I was mooring up anywhere at all I would always be gone by the time they needed to moor up for the night. I don't want to inconvenience anyone, I want to pay my trading license as well as my mooring fees and also rates as soon as the council approved the change of use of the tow path. Finally for 9 months a year the visitors moorings are not well used, in fact people live there for months at a time! (Not saying I blame them as there are not enough visitors coming here to use them.) Please keep your comments coming, I really appreciate it.

Im no expert on canal type business Jane so what I say is just an idea as I know how it can feel when a plan just dos'nt quiet come together despite ticking all the boxes in your head talking to loads of people but then unexpected ones just pop up with their seemingly unreasonable objections!

I would say steer well clear of visitor moorings though.

As for someone asking where do all these visitors park when they turn up?

I would dare say probably where they park when they come and walk their dog every day or when they come for their jog,walk ect!

Would it not be possible to do a rolling trade where folks could step on and off.

Although I know you are not supposed to stop and cause congestion you could for example just be stopping to pick someone up.

People like boat trips why not have a latte and go for a spin?

In every town there seems to be loads if not too many takeaways but they all seem to be there.

I remember a late train which had a little band on it and everyone would get on and bring a drink.

Perhaps you could advertise a similar thing where you are doing a trip but stopping along the way picking folks up dropping them off ect but in the process getting passing custom.

But just remember the peace that people have come onto the canals for in the 1st place.

I think getting it right and blending in is also very important,

Whatever you decide to do good luck.

I always seem to fancy a cup of tea when we go walking down canal never anywhere to get one though.

Edited by Spacebar