changing 'normal' house side lamps to use 12v

cazberry

Featured Posts

As the title really...

I love using side lamps around the boat instead of full-on ceiling lights; gives a nice ambience!

Even though I use eco bulbs etc, I was wandering if normal house side lamps could be changed so that they can be plugged into the 12v system?

For the most basic of setups, all you need is two wires carrying the positive and negative to the two connectors of the bulb, with possibly a rocker switch on the positive cable. With 12v you can dispense with the green and yellow earth wire that might be present on a mains. Use the brown wire for 12v positive and the blue wire for the negative.

The plug you now need will and should be quite different to your mains. As long as you can find DC bulbs with a similar base, the holder should still be ok. I have what are called Bus bulbs, and the bases are fairly standard to domestic mains bayonet types. Find your bulbs.

Do you have a 12v DC plug system in your boat, and where you want to use the lights?

If the switch of the mains table/side light is a rocker with a little 'On' indicator light, it makes for slightly more work. You will need to take this little light out of the system; bypass it it or take it out. It is usually a neon type and trying to pass DC current through it wont work.

Be careful, cut the mains plug off at the start of conversion. Make it mains useless from the start. I once cut through a mains cable while it was still plugged in. I was lucky, don't be that daft. I hasten to add, it was absent mindedness.

Edited by Higgs

12 or 24 volt bulbs with a standard Bayonet Cap fitting are normally known as "Bus bulbs" Baddie does an LEDreplacement that uses very little power. I am not so sure how well you will get on if your "Side Lamps" I would call them "Wall Lights" have Edison Screw lamps in them.

12 or 24 volt bulbs with a standard Bayonet Cap fitting are normally known as "Bus bulbs" Baddie does an LEDreplacement that uses very little power. I am not so sure how well you will get on if your "Side Lamps" I would call them "Wall Lights" have Edison Screw lamps in them.

Full size ES lamps are available for 25V, for machine lamps. Dunno about 12V though.

Tim

On the mechanical side of things I think you just need to be a bit inventive to change the fittings or adapt the bulbs. Maybe a bit laborious but given the time the bulbs last it's worth it.

If you like the light fitting then changing the bulbs is going to be worthwhile IMO.

Hi,

Not sure if it helps but my boat has wall mounted spotlights which use a standard car stop & tail bulb and can be switch to use either the 5 watt or 21 watt. elements. 21 makes a good reading light while 5 is fine for watching TV or just chatting. Not sure of the make but I guess a god chandler could supply.

Martin

sorry...I should have said 'Table lamps'....

I've got lots of 12v sockets around the boat...obviously I wont attempt anything electrical myself... but from what I've read is it as simple as changing the plug and bulbs?

By 'simple' I mean for anyone who knows what they are doing!

I've got lots of 12v sockets around the boat...obviously I wont attempt anything electrical myself... but from what I've read is it as simple as changing the plug and bulbs?

Simple? Yes. Could be as simple as changing bulbs and plug.

Edited by Higgs

Use the LEDS and adaptors from Bedazzled and it is as easy as that!! Its really not hard...promise!!

Feel free to ask questions!

Gareth

thanks....I may well be asking more questions!!

Have just looked at the Bedazzled site and it certainly looks do-able even to an 'untrained' eye.

Even so...I'll pass on the 'doing' to someone who knows about electrics! my hair is curly enough!! :blink:

From my website: 'Current best tip: as the bus bulbs are the same size bayonet as regular household bulbs, you can buy a household light fitting from the DIY store, cut the 240v plug off and wire on a 12v plug (whatever you use on your boat; caravan plugs and cigar lighter sockets on mine), replace the bulb with an SMD/LED bus bulb and hey presto a new LED light for your boat.' http://www.baddiethepirate.co.uk/baddiepages/howdoiuseit.htm

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Baddie

We had a mains voltage halogen bulked angle poise lamp. A 12v Bedazzled LED fitted straight in. Changed the plug to a one to match our 12v sockets and job done. Because they areLED the current is ver small and so will not overload the switch which was designed for 240v 50w halogen so about .5amps. Led is a lot less

Full size ES lamps are available for 25V, for machine lamps. Dunno about 12V though.

Tim

Plenty of 12v edison screw bulbs on ebay, even LED ones but with a nicer oranger light. My brother has these on Sleepy Hollow, where he has bought household side lamps and just fitted a 12v bulb.

Casp'

• 2 years later...

Bedaazzled do adaptors for large bayonet and large and small screw fit bulb holders. The only thing you can't get an adaptor for is small bayonet. That said I have a fitting which had small bayonet so I simply replaced the bulb holders. Simples.

Bedaazzled do adaptors for large bayonet and large and small screw fit bulb holders. The only thing you can't get an adaptor for is small bayonet. That said I have a fitting which had small bayonet so I simply replaced the bulb holders. Simples.

Actually I take that back. I've just a another look at the site and they do a much range nowadays. In fact, it seems you can get just about anything!