Tring Summit closure

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

just discovered cherstey lock is out of action on the Thames for repairs till march.....so we are all stuck.......need to find my rain dancers outfit.theres a boat behind me was renamed last year,it was called RAIN MAKER.............ha ha

Well thats just blown that plan out of the water!

Lady Muck.....or maybe Lady of The Lee.......you now have gone up to the most highest level for a civi in my very little book of wonderful people on the canals & rivers...

when I get back AFTER i get GOING from my trip I will of course pay homage to you.become your pesonal man servant.take your dog for walks,serve tea.moor opposite your boat and pay compliments on your wonderfullness....

Well thats just blown that plan out of the water!

......and how long do you think the water in the Lee will last once the funky Olympic boats start to fly up and down.............

I think that by the time the CART starts, there will be a total stoppage on the system, allowing the majestic swans to waddle through the muddy bridge holes as they wish.......

Edited by matty40s

What a crying shame their procedures can't get it on Waterscape before the weekend - how hard can that be, really. Couldn't they pay some officestaff overtime in view of its importance ?

Current arrangements could easily (from my reading of it) allow someone to unknowingly be moving, or about to move, North of Lock 49 or South of Lock 39, and effectively end up "locked in" when it could so easily have been avoided. Moreover as winding will be impossible below 49, anybody who unwittingly ends up there either faces a (very) long reverse back through several locks or...... (well no other option, really!......)

I'm not trying to shoot the messenger, Jim, as I know you will have indicated firmly to Whyatt the issues of no advanced warning, but honestly, if nothing is being done to stop people ending up "in a bad place" what a mess, really. :banghead:

I've emailed Jeff Whyatt to find out why boaters were given such short notice of the closure and he's kindly sent me a timetable of events leading up to the closure.

At then end of each boating season, late December, when lock movement is down to almost nothing, there is usually no extraction of water from the reservoirs into the canal. However, this year it was noted that the Tring summit was still demanding water at a much higher rate than would be warranted by the minimal lock movements.

Detailed recording was carried out over the Christmas break where it was discovered that 220 lockfuls of water per week were disappearing!

The first week back after the holidays was spent in deciding on the best course of action and further investigations revealed the true reason (see my first post) for this water loss.

On Friday last week BW met waterways business and modified their emergency plans. (Originally BW was going to lower the whole of the summit, including Cowroast marina) and on Saturday they met local boaters, who used this forum and the towpath telegraph to spread the news.

It could be argued that with all their sophisticated water monitoring equipment BW should have been aware earlier of the extent of the huge loss of water from the summit. Also, as Alan has pointed out, an extra couple of days' warning might have made a great deal of difference to boaters' plans. Notices on locks at strategic points would have been the easiest solution, since not everyone has access to Waterscape.

IM in Paddington basin.was going to stop at nash mills to see a mate for the day,then one week or less at bulborne to see some friends in bw,as I do on my outbound trip and the same inbound...

if I was aware saturday I could of pushed it to tring 50 locks in time from Paddington....I normally take 3 days solo ...

Yep,

That ain't possible, is it ?

Only one day left, but if anyone is deperate for help to get past thr possible blocade tomorrow, I could probably be a spare windlass......

I've emailed Jeff Whyatt to find out why boaters were given such short notice of the closure and he's kindly sent me a timetable of events leading up to the closure.

At then end of each boating season, late December, when lock movement is down to almost nothing, there is usually no extraction of water from the reservoirs into the canal. However, this year it was noted that the Tring summit was still demanding water at a much higher rate than would be warranted by the minimal lock movements.

Detailed recording was carried out over the Christmas break where it was discovered that 220 lockfuls of water per week were disappearing!

The first week back after the holidays was spent in deciding on the best course of action and further investigations revealed the true reason (see my first post) for this water loss.

On Friday last week BW met waterways business and modified their emergency plans. (Originally BW was going to lower the whole of the summit, including Cowroast marina) and on Saturday they met local boaters, who used this forum and the towpath telegraph to spread the news.

It could be argued that with all their sophisticated water monitoring equipment BW should have been aware earlier of the extent of the huge loss of water from the summit. Also, as Alan has pointed out, an extra couple of days' warning might have made a great deal of difference to boaters' plans. Notices on locks at strategic points would have been the easiest solution, since not everyone has access to Waterscape.

Jim,

I'm sure we all know you are doing your best, and, without your meeting, most presumably still wouldn't know ? You are doing a grand service, but sadly BW isn't.

Waterscape ain't perfect but getting something on there when they met you would have added two days at least to the warning for some people.

You could argue that if it is 220 lock-fulls a week, that is "only" just over 30 lock-fulls a day, so keeping it open a couple of extra days is hardly going to make huge extra losses, is it?

Do they seriously believe that lowering by just a foot will save most of that 220 lock-fulls ? Realistically it is surely likely to be only part of it ?

Hi,

Just saw the thread. Have posted the stoppage onto waterscape, so at least people should get an email shortly. I'm sure Jeff and his team will amend as more details become available.

=35&search_data_by[]=stoppage&start_day=8&start_month=1&start_year=2012&end_period=all&end_day=8&end_month=1&end_year=2012&subtn=+Find+Stoppages+"]Link

Looks like there will be a few stoppages from Feb onwards in that area, from Fishery Lock upwards.

Kind regards,

Paul

its disgusting this, they have had a problem there since last june july time, tis a flippin joke

Far be from me to defend BW (I've spent the last 25 years arguing with them laugh.gif). However, I don't think there was a problem in June/July. Yes, there were low pounds, blockages in bridgeholes, parts which needed dredging and inexperienced or careless boaters who wasted lockfuls of water, but this was nothing out of the ordinary.

By the beginning of the 2011boating season the Tring reservoirs were over 90% full and werestill within acceptible limits at the height of the boating season. It's true there was a very dry spring and summer and the boat movements were up 8%, but the reservoirs were doing their job ofkeeping the canal full.

Moreover, had there been the average rainfall, or even a below average rainfall, in Nov/Dec/Jan the reservoirs would now be refilling nicely and more importantly, the water table would be above the level where the dry ground absorbs water from the canal. BW is saying that we are now experiencing a worse drought than those of 1922 and 1976.

What I don't know, is whether BW could have reasonably been expected to have predicted the exceptionally low water table and the effect this would have on the water loss from the summit. It seems to have taken them by surprise. Or, as I suspect, they were gambling that the drought would have ended by now. They lost the gamble.

Have we got any expert hydrologists onthe forum?

Hi,

Just saw the thread. Have posted the stoppage onto waterscape, so at least people should get an email shortly. I'm sure Jeff and his team will amend as more details become available.

=35&search_data_by[]=stoppage&start_day=8&start_month=1&start_year=2012&end_period=all&end_day=8&end_month=1&end_year=2012&subtn=+Find+Stoppages+"]Link

Looks like there will be a few stoppages from Feb onwards in that area, from Fishery Lock upwards.

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for picking this up late on a Sunday.

Anything at all that saves even one or two people more grief than they are going to get anyway can only be a good thing.

Good on you!

• Greenie 1

You could argue that if it is 220 lock-fulls a week, that is "only" just over 30 lock-fulls a day, so keeping it open a couple of extra days is hardly going to make huge extra losses, is it?

Do they seriously believe that lowering by just a foot will save most of that 220 lock-fulls ? Realistically it is surely likely to be only part of it ?

I can't do the sums, but by lowering the canal by a foot, that foot of water isn't going to leach away into the bank, is it? The less water in the summit, the less will drain away. I do get the impression that this measure is a bit of an experiment. Jeff Whyatt and his team will be closely monitoring and has promised to report back.

As I say, we need a Gibbo-type hydrologist!

Edited by koukouvagia

I can't do the sums, but by lowering the canal by a foot, that foot of water isn't going to leach away into the bank, is it? The less water in the summit, the less will drain away. I do get the impression that this measure is a bit of an experiment. Jeff Whyatt and his team will be closely monitoring and has promised to report back.

As I say, we need a Gibbo-type hydrologist!

Might it not be that as the ground dries out from the top downward, that most of the seepage is in that first foot? Also that reduced pressure on lock gates would also reduc leakage through gates?

Edited by Radiomariner

Also that reduced pressure on lock gates would also reduc leakage through gates?

Only one set of gates involved, as they are stanking at New Ground bridge, and not (intentionally at least!) dropping the pond above Cow Roast.

The lock gates at the top end of the Marsworth flight are virtually brand new, don't have gate paddles to leak, and seem in very good order.

I know Jim told me that the leakage through the lock gates is considerind insignificant to that being lost trough the unpuddled canal.

just checked e-mail again,the automatic e-mail has now arrived and states ' stoppage until further notice,etc etc'...one of the posts on this thread mentions possibly further notices going up around the fishers lock area....thats a leaky lock..I would of thought in a few days maybe there could be some problems there,the winkwell drydock area near fishers is busy with boats in and out for blacking,and normaly has full bookings even now..

I assume monday daylight hours will see traffic pushing across Tring........on reflection it has been a very dry winter,it feels like spring already...and significant rain would need to be months worth of heavy down pours in those areas..

between tring and the fifty locks to London there are some very badly leaking locks which will only add to the problem,and mostly those are the ones which are not being shut properly to help the situation..especially fishers lock..widewater comes to mind and of course in the berkhamsted area.

perhaps BW could post notices around this time to educate those unaware for the need to conserve water and be aware constantly for the need to keep all locks shut..there are still lots of boaters who leave gates open....

I can not see a solution to this problem in the next few months,after that there the festivals etc etc.

This has just been distributed to Cowroast Marina tenants.

grand union south – tring summit

7th JANUARY 2012

As you will be aware, 2011 was an exceptionally dry year for the Midlands and South East of England particularly. As a result of continuing dry conditions over late autumn and through the winter so far – we have continued to experience two extreme factors :-

1. Continued draw down of reservoirs after the main boating season finished (end Oct) , and

2. A slow refill rate of reservoirs which are already at an all time low

Additionally, the hydrological conditions remain stressed with soils remaining dryer than expected for this time of year which is slowing any recovery in the groundwater conditions that dominate the water availability in the Tring Reservoir Group.

Whilst the volume of water required for lock operations is low this time of year, a feed from the reservoir group and from groundwater sources has still been required to maintain the canal at the normal operational level. The current demand on reservoirs and groundwater sources will, if maintained, increase the risk of having depleted water resources during the 2012 main boating season.

As well as the planned winter maintenance, we are also investing in a number of schemes to increase water resources resilience for next season. For example, the 'Northern Engines' back-pumping scheme is being upgraded to allow more efficient pump control to not only recirculate lockage water, but also to transfer water around the canal system.

We are monitoring water demands on a daily basis and we need to take appropriate steps now to seek to minimise the effects of any water shortages later in the year. As a significant proportion of water demand is currently simply leakage and seepage of water through the canal we are reviewing the operation level of certain pounds with the aim to reduce canal leakage. The top (100-200mm) of the canal bank is often the leakiest section of the canal profile due to the fact that it is continually wetted and dried and it is also subject to holes or cracks formed by burrowing animals and wave action from boat props.

We are looking at reducing the Tring summit pound below its normal operational level.

Additionally, we are reviewing the operation of the Aylesbury Arm.

You may be interested to see the water usage locally over the most recent period :-

Bear in mind that ….. 1 Ml (megalitre) = 1,000 cubic metres

1 lockfull = 250 to 300 cubic metres

So 60 Ml is about 220 lockfulls ….

Current water supply to the Summit:

Cowroast borehole is feeding 40 Ml/wk.

The reservoirs are feeding 20 Ml/wk

Other feeders are contributing 5 Ml/wk

Total input to the summit is about 65 Ml/wk

Outputs from the Summit:

Cowroast lockage 3 Ml/wk (about 10 lock operations per week)

Marsworth lockage 1 Ml/wk (about 7 lock operations per week)

Therefore about 61 Ml is being lost a week!! That's 94% of the water pumped to the canal.

Last week the reservoirs pumped 21 Ml to the canal.

The reservoir group refilled by 27 Ml.

Therefore the total input to the reservoir group was only 48 Ml. That is well below what you'd expect for this time of year (even with the recent rainfall).

The pumped feed to the canal is almost half the gross refill to the reservoirs.

The Cowroast groundwater borehole pump has been running almost flat out for much of the last six months. The annual total that can be pumped to the canal is restricted through an abstraction licence BW holds that is enforced by the Environment Agency. Continuing the groundwater abstraction at its current rate is decreasing the volume of water available on the licence during the summer months.

The proposals

- We will be lowering the operating levels of the Tring summit by 300mm from Wednesday 11th January 2012 (am).

- The immediate affected area is between :-

o Lock 39, Startops Reservoir/Bluebells Café, and

o Lock 49, Northchurch

(Nb there is a full stoppage already planned at Lock 49 from 23/01 to 03/02)

- The above section will be CLOSED to through traffic and moored boats* from Wed 11th Jan until further notice

Reduced operating levels (300mm min) will not allow boats to safely moor or navigate the section

- A short section at Cowroast will be contained at normal levels through the implementation of

stop planks (between Lock 46 and New ground bridge, no. X). This will afford stability (although

immobility for moorers at Cowroast long term site and the marina)

- The 2 locks (Lock 39 & 49) will be locked throughout, as others may be within the affected area

to avoid losses through misuse.

- Aylesbury Arm, will continue to be locked against navigation and open to essential traffic only.

The operating levels of the Arm itself will be subject to further review and nil lockage will be the

target once the dredging team have vacated.

- Additional local arrangements will be in place with Bulbourne dry dock to facilitate a restricted

occasional access

How will this affect the navigation?

- Within the affected area between Locks 39 & 49 there will be no through movement possible. We need to hold levels down sufficiently to reduce seepage & increasing levels temporarily for through navigation would be hugely counter productive. We have discussed this strategy with key local stakeholders – moorers and affected businesses – and they support this action.

We recognise that the canal sections to the north and south of this stretch will also be subject to fluctuations in water levels – we cannot avoid this.

How long will the situation continue?

Based on achieving significant reductions in reservoir drawdown currently experienced – probably past the end of February. We will analyse the situation closely and review weekly – we will communicate status directly to those affected on a regular basis.

Where can displaced boats relocate their moorings to ?

Where it is necessary there are 2 locations :-

a) To the north, adjacent to Marsworth yard. Good parking and facilities are available.

B) To the south, either the Cowroast 'contained zone' – good facilities are present, or south of Lock 49 at Northchurch.

Only boats with a long term (or winter) mooring in the affected area will be authorised to use these locations.

Surely stopping all the leaky lock gates will avoid this action?

No, it has to be recognised that this 'seepage/water loss is much more than through normal losses through lock gates.

The topographical and low water table of the immediate area are driving this abnormal demand on water. You will be aware (through our autumn User Group meeting) that we discussed 'soil moisture deficit' as being a major factor in how the drought conditions were affecting us. This in the main is the driver to this water loss.

Leak stopping has and will continue to be a priority for us though. We understand that boaters expect us to do all that we can in this regard – most of our current winter stoppages have been defined with water conservation in mind.

Furthermore, gate replacement as planned at lock 49 will assist greatly with the integrity of the southern end of this area when the gate replacement concludes at Lock 49 early in February.

Where can I register to receive regular updates on the situation ?

Please send your details to <a href="mailto:enquiries.southeast@britishwaterways.co.uk">enquiries.southeast@britishwaterways.co.uk

Press enquiries should be directed to…..

J.G.Whyatt

Snr Waterway Manager

South East

Edited by Bullfrog

Here's the BW press release which has just been issued.

British Waterways prepares for the possibility of a further dry winter

British Waterways is this week lowering water levels on a five-mile section of the Grand Union Canal in the Tring area to save water in advance of the main boating season.

The South East has experienced the driest twelve months since records began and across parts of the region groundwater tables and reservoir holdings are lower than normal for this time of year. Recent brief, intense, rainfall has done little to improve the situation and BW is taking steps now to try and ensure sufficient water resources are available for the main boating season.

From Wednesday 11th January water in the stretch between locks 39 and 49 will be reduced by approximately 300mm in order to take it below the upper section of the canal bank which is often most prone to leaks. This reduced level will not allow boats to safely moor or navigate and the section will therefore be closed to through traffic and moored boats. BW has been grateful for the contribution of local moorers and affected businesses who support the strategy and who have provided constructive input on its implementation.

Jeff Whyatt, senior waterway manager explains; "The top part of the canal bank is often most susceptible to leaks due to the fact that it is continually wetted and dried and it is also subject to holes or cracks formed by burrowing animals and wave action from boat props. At the time of year when boat movements are at their lowest it has become clear that the majority of the water being pumped into the system is subsequently being lost so, by taking this action now, we hope to be better able to conserve water and be less reliant on our groundwater pumps which can then be used later in the year".

Despite recent storms, groundwater levels remain lower than normal for this time of year which, in turn, means that reservoirs in the Tring area are refilling slower than would normally be expected. This is placing increasing pressure on the reservoirs which are still required at this time of year to maintain the canal at a normal operational level.

Jeff continues: "It's unusual for us to have to take these measures at this time of year but I'm sure most boaters would recognise the sense in reducing water levels now, whilst boat traffic is relatively low, in order to preserve as much water as possible ahead of the main season. We've discussed the issues with moorers and local boating businesses who support the action and we are very grateful for their understanding and cooperation".

It is anticipated that the reduced water levels could be in place until March and BW staff will be monitoring the situation closely and reviewing on a weekly basis. The local waterway will continue to work closely with boating businesses and mooring customers in the area to keep them informed and minimise any disruption.

BW is also planning a short-term programme of schemes to improve the water resource position in parts of the Midlands and South East for the main boating season.

ENDS

When we get our new boat in 2013 will there be any canals left with water?

Suggest Caldeonian, Move it to the Thames, Nene or Middle levels, or a long pound - Gayton to Whelton or similar.

Further suggestions - practice rain-dancing or consider renewing Church Membersip (of what ever Faith) and pray for rain.

Licence renewal - consider carefully whether you should renew on the 'non use of locks' scale.

Leo.

PS have boat fitted with wheels for touring purposes instead of cruising, mooring dollies not needed, handbrake fitting useful.

Jeff Whyatt, senior waterway manager explains; "The top part of the canal bank is often most susceptible to leaks due to the fact that it is continually wetted and dried and it is also subject to holes or cracks formed by burrowing animals and wave action from boat props. At the time of year when boat movements are at their lowest it has become clear that the majority of the water being pumped into the system is subsequently being lost so, by taking this action now, we hope to be better able to conserve water and be less reliant on our groundwater pumps which can then be used later in the year".

This means that the line 300mm down becomes the new "top part" and therefore becomes the most leaky. When (if?) the level is restored to normal, that part is now 300mm below the water level so presumably becomes far more leaky than ever before.

I noticed quite a few boats still moored between Northchurch and Dudswell Bottom Locks this morning as I whizzed past on the train to Milton Keynes.

D

There's been an update on the stoppage to give people more time to get out of the affected area. See update in the Stoppages section.

Debbi