has any1 sin my dads boat?

libi

Featured Posts

I would just add one -

If you are going to come on here and ask a question about something and several people point out to you that it might not be a good idea to do that, along with plausible reasons why it isn't but you then persists in saying you still want to do it anyway don't be surprised if you get a bit of stick.....

I like that, Dean :-) and most of it is true. I remember that you got a rough ride for a while.

Where are you moored? You were talking at one point of several options for the winter but I can't remember hearing the outcome. Are your famity still enjoying canal boating?

haggis

New Islington marina in Manchester....:) 5 mins from Aldis. 10mins from the shops. Elec hookup over the winter(where's the snow...grrr).

Family is loving the boating lifestyle, so all good for now thanks :)

And now I realise why although I come and look at posts on here, I hardly post myself due to the petty bickering.

I hope she has found her dads boat though, with or without the help of some people on here.

Thanks for your post, we all now feel so honoured.

It seems to be a new trend - people coming on here to post to tell us they don't post on here.... :wacko:

Yeah like the geezer a week or two ago who came on to tell us not to discuss the boat he had bought from a certain firm whom he then had to get his money back from, even though the original thread had died a death months before....... :lol:

I would just add one -

If you are going to come on here and ask a question about something and several people point out to you that it might not be a good idea to do that, along with plausible reasons why it isn't but you then persists in saying you still want to do it anyway don't be surprised if you get a bit of stick.....

Sorry Martin I disagree.

If someone comes on here to ask for advice that doesn't mean they have to take it, in fact often the advice will be conflicting. If a poster takes note of the advice but still decides to do their own thing, possibly using advice from boaters not on the forum, then I don't think anyone is entitled to give them stick.

I think Dean has proved that there can still be a happy outcome even if forum advice isn't followed.

• Greenie 2

Sorry Martin I disagree.

If someone comes on here to ask for advice that doesn't mean they have to take it, in fact often the advice will be conflicting. If a poster takes note of the advice but still decides to do their own thing, possibly using advice from boaters not on the forum, then I don't think anyone is entitled to give them stick.

I think Dean has proved that there can still be a happy outcome even if forum advice isn't followed.

I think the case in point though revolved (no pun intended) around a re-ciculating shower system and a number of people in unison said 'woha bad idea' and listed a number of well informed reasons why this posed a serious risk to the health of those using such a system. Aside from those who were saying 'go for it, it's not been done before so why not',

the advice as to why not to do it wasn't conflicting.

The advice was offered in good faith and to try to prevent harm to his family and when it was so steadfastly being rejected I (and I suspect others too) start to wonder if somebody is actually posting with serious intent or just to wind us all up. I think in frustration some of that turned into a bit of unfortunate animosity towards the poster.

I think the case in point though revolved (no pun intended) around a re-ciculating shower system and a number of people in unison said 'woha bad idea' and listed a number of well informed reasons why this posed a serious risk to the health of those using such a system. Aside from those who were saying 'go for it, it's not been done before so why not',

the advice as to why not to do it wasn't conflicting.

The advice was offered in good faith and to try to prevent harm to his family and when it was so steadfastly being rejected I (and I suspect others too) start to wonder if somebody is actually posting with serious intent or just to wind us all up. I think in frustration some of that turned into a bit of unfortunate animosity towards the poster.

That's just one example. He was also told by many that he was stupid to think so many people could live comfortably aboard a narrowboat, that he'd never be able to satisfy their power / toilet / water needs amongst other things. He's proved them wrong.

I was making the general point that not taking the advice of forum members doesn't mean they deserve a forum kicking - there's many many examples where such has been undeserved (not just by Dean).

That's just one example. He was also told by many that he was stupid to think so many people could live comfortably aboard a narrowboat, that he'd never be able to satisfy their power / toilet / water needs amongst other things. He's proved them wrong.

I was making the general point that not taking the advice of forum members doesn't mean they deserve a forum kicking - there's many many examples where such has been undeserved (not just by Dean).

Indeed

- just to be clear though I wasn't arguing that disregarding forum advice is 'carte blanche' to stick the boot in just there are times when it must be right to say yourself 'hang on a mo, so many folk have said this is a daft idea - there must be some merit to the argument that it's a daft thing to do...' and then accept if you persist in saying 'I'm doing it anyway' you will get folks back up - it happens in real life so no reason really why it won't happen on the forum.

As it happens I think (AFAIK) it was advice he did follow in the end and the re-circulating shower never actually saw the light of day....

Spelling/grammar ed.

Edited by MJG

I think the case in point though revolved (no pun intended) around a re-ciculating shower system .....

OOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGG!!!!!! You haven't forgotten my infamous re-circulating shower yet...LOL :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

um... as a new person on here I found most of this baffling.

However, in case it has not yet been mentioned (I gave up after page 8) it could be that Amy is either dyslexic or hasn't had access to a full education and struggles with reading and/or writing. By all means discuss the contents of the post but please don't make assumptions about the language/syntax/grammer used. Regardless of anything else I admire her for continuing to post when other contributers are making comments about something that is not relevant to her original question. Yes, you may not be able to understand some of the post but it's just as effective to ask a question back to clarify (if you do want to help her) and not necessary to start commenting on her use of language (particularly if you have no intention of helping!)

'nuff said from me

• Greenie 3

OOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGG!!!!!! You haven't forgotten my infamous re-circulating shower yet...LOL :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

:cheers:

Long term memory like an elephant.....

just don't ask me where I left my car keys 10 minutes ago...

However, in case it has not yet been mentioned (I gave up after page 8) it could be that Amy is either dyslexic or hasn't had access to a full education and struggles with reading and/or writing. By all means discuss the contents of the post but please don't make assumptions about the language/syntax/grammer used. Regardless of anything else I admire her for continuing to post when other contributers are making comments about something that is not relevant to her original question. Yes, you may not be able to understand some of the post but it's just as effective to ask a question back to clarify (if you do want to help her) and not necessary to start commenting on her use of language (particularly if you have no intention of helping!)

'nuff said from me

The difference is, Anna, that posts containing incorrect spelling are usually comprehensible - I understood yours perfectly, for example - , but posts written in "text speak" may be hard for many people to decipher - thus, people who otherwise might have been able to halp could not do so because they had given up trying to work out what the post was about.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

'nuff said from me

:D

Welcome to the forum. It was not amys spelling that was being questioned it was her use of silly, childish text speak which to many grown ups is simply never legible, I dont think anyone was realy having a go at her. BUT you will find there are I am sorry to say certain forum members ( The GRAMMA Police ) who appoint theirselves to pick up on total trivia such as spelling and full stops etc. This is not a University English masters site so I for one find it pathetic, after all in this world we live now it is very very very low on my list of importance.

Edited by mrsmelly

Welcome to the forum. It was not amys spelling that was being questioned it was her use of silly, childish text speak which to many grown ups is simply never legible, I dont think anyone was realy having a go at her. BUT you will find there are I am sorry to say certain forum members ( The GRAMMA Police ) who appoint themselves to pick up on total trivia such as spelling and full stops etc. This is not a University English masters site so I for one find it pathetic, after all in this world we live now it is very very very low on my list of importance.

I agree.

:cheers:

Edit as I spelled it wrong...

Edited by Gazboatman

Welcome to the forum. It was not amys spelling that was being questioned it was her use of silly, childish text speak which to many grown ups is simply never legible, I dont think anyone was realy having a go at her. BUT you will find there are I am sorry to say certain forum members ( The GRAMMA Police ) who appoint theirselves to pick up on total trivia such as spelling and full stops etc. This is not a University English masters site so I for one find it pathetic, after all in this world we live now it is very very very low on my list of importance.

You are quite right - except that although I find it hard to understand I would not brand "text speak" as "silly and childish"; it is a modern means of communication which many of us (including myself) are not modern enough to learn!

I always type slowly as I know some of our older members can't read very quickly.

:smiley_offtopic: Many years ago when I was a teenager my not-terribly-bright mum was stuck on a clue in The Sun crossword. Dad and I took a look for her and gave her the answer. "No, that's not it" she replied, "I'm doing the 40 minute questions, not the 20 minute ones". We both looked surprised and asked her why. "Because I'm not very fast."

True story.

Tony