Can you buy stick on traditional roses?

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Just about to have RQ repainted and all the family want it done in what is loosely accepted (not by all) as traditional. Ie roses and castles etc.

So while RQ is away thought I might give my wife an early boat present and decorate the porta loo - traditionally of course and stick roses all over it.

Maybe that will suffice her need to be trad. :rolleyes:

Just about to have RQ repainted and all the family want it done in what is loosely accepted (not by all) as traditional. Ie roses and castles etc.

So while RQ is away thought I might give my wife an early boat present and decorate the porta loo - traditionally of course and stick roses all over it.

The graphics boat do them -

http://www.thegraphicsboat.co.uk/canal-rose-designs-c-1.html

I have seen these in Uxbridge boat centre, ring and ask for liz, am sure they would post to you

I think I saw them in the Canalshop at Braunston Bottom Lock

Those roses are really Naff and they will still look like transfers even at a distance! Ok for the Porta Potti but not on the boat Please. Why not have the back panels professionally signwritten and decorated with roses and castles, it will only add a few hundred quid to the total job.

Get them done properly? but make sure you use someone decent like Dave Moore or Phil Speight

Edited by David Schweizer

Hi.

I've yet to see any stick on "trad" roses that look anything like the real thing, but then I would, wouldn't I? The Water Folk Transfers from, I think, Alan Picken in the 60s were some of the doubtful best, don't think they are still in production.

I prefer to paint roses on boats or traditional artefacts such as cabin stools, door panels and water cans and I honestly wouldn't want to add them to a Porta Potti, though many years ago I added a garland of flowers to a porcelain "Guzunder" (chamber pot) as a special present.

Thanks to David Schwiezer for the mention - Phil and I helped to found the Waterways Craft Guild back in 97 to attempt to stem the tide of painting that threatened to swamp the old tradional stuff from trading days aand I'm still anxious to keep standards high, though some of the stuff I see at shows and in canal side shops mean that there's still work to do.

Cheers

Dave

Those roses are really Naff and they will still look like transfers even at a distance! Ok for the Porta Potti but not on the boat Please. Why not have the back panels professionally signwritten and decorated with roses and castles, it will only add a few hundred quid to the total job.

Get them done properly? but make sure you use someone decent like Dave Moore or Phil Speight

Quite right, there is nothing like the real thing. As well as those chaps you mention I like Terence's work from Braunston.

I did find some iron on transfers off eBay a while ago that weren't too bad. The main reason I think the transfers and stickers look wrong are that they are too uniform in there pattern, all the roses etc are the same. Most hand painted cans and other objects even from the greats there is a variation in the brush strikes and shape etc. which elevates the piece somehow.

The Herbert art gallery in Coventry ran a course about painting Roses about 18 months ago and were talking about running another. They're not difficult to paint once you've been shown by a master (Dave Moore - post 11_. (Painting them well consistently is a different matter!). I suggest you save the money you'd have spent on stickers and get on a course. It's great fun and you'll have something far more individual.

Hi.

I've yet to see any stick on "trad" roses that look anything like the real thing, but then I would, wouldn't I? The Water Folk Transfers from, I think, Alan Picken in the 60s were some of the doubtful best, don't think they are still in production.

I prefer to paint roses on boats or traditional artefacts such as cabin stools, door panels and water cans and I honestly wouldn't want to add them to a Porta Potti, though many years ago I added a garland of flowers to a porcelain "Guzunder" (chamber pot) as a special present.

Thanks to David Schwiezer for the mention - Phil and I helped to found the Waterways Craft Guild back in 97 to attempt to stem the tide of painting that threatened to swamp the old tradional stuff from trading days aand I'm still anxious to keep standards high, though some of the stuff I see at shows and in canal side shops mean that there's still work to do.

Cheers

Dave

Happy New Year me dear.Preferably a less frustrating one all round eh! A confession. Being a romantic soul I bought

Zita a new wheelbarrow for Christmas.Felt obliged to customize it with roses , diamonds and it`s name - Barrow No.2.

Don`t tell anyone ..................

I`ll be around Englandshire ( your bit and the Port ) at the month end - so`ll hopefully see you for nosh/intoxicating liquor at some point. Then to Shropshire to paint a Brescia Bugatti. Ooooo.....

Phil and Zita

Happy New Year to you both! Don't tell David Gunby abt Barrow...I won't!!Hope to see you later this month, balti and malt available, as always. Have a look at the Virtual Pub forum, follow the link to Grand Turk Pub....and smile!!

Cheers

Dave