Centre rope(s)

Rebotco

Featured Posts

I guess like all things concerning boating it is personal choice and preference. I am single handed and cruise a fair bit, I keep my roof clear except 1 Pole and a brush but I have 2 centre ropes. Mainly because I am lazy and forgetful so at least I do not have to worry or think about flicking ropes from one side to the other when approaching a lock or bridge etc. I for one have never had or for that matter needed a Plank. I felt the same about Anchors and in fact crossed the Ribble twice without one (bit stupid really) but bought an Anchor when doing the Severn from Sharpness to Bristol, that now sits on my roof. Stan the guy I cruise with on another boat has one of those fancy holster things for his Windlass but I have never wanted one just as easy to carry it, so as I say it is all about what suits the individual.

Single centre rope for me, but wghen cruising I usually flick a loop across the roof so it is easy to reach from either side.

I also have a short rope (about 2m) wityh an eye in the end. This is useful for tying back to on the odd occasion I want to tie off with a centre rope.

I would be uneasy about putting a loop round me when climbing a ladder. I usually tuck the windlass down the back of my belt or jeans when climbing a ladder, to keep both hands free.

We also now have two for much the same reasons as folk above have already outlined.

Whilst it generally can be anticipated which side to have the line readied on for a planned stop - invariably we found for an unplanned stop (eg for a trip down the weed hatch) the line was inevitably on the wrong side, coupled with where our pole, plank and hook are stored on their 'rest' meant we often got the line tangled round them when flipping the single line over.

It's no big deal to have two and in our case much more convenient....

Single centre rope for me, but wghen cruising I usually flick a loop across the roof so it is easy to reach from either side.

I also have a short rope (about 2m) wityh an eye in the end. This is useful for tying back to on the odd occasion I want to tie off with a centre rope.

I would be uneasy about putting a loop round me when climbing a ladder. I usually tuck the windlass down the back of my belt or jeans when climbing a ladder, to keep both hands free.

I have seen quite a few people do that and have been known to do it myself when not wearing a jacket. When I do have a jacket (or Jumper) on, I usually put my windlass over my shoulder with the handle tucked inside my jacket (or Jumper. This is how most old working boatmen carried thieir windlass, especially during the winter because, as was explained to me by a working Boatman, it keeps the handle nice and warm, preventing it from freezing to your hand in icy weather.

P.S I would never put a rope round myself when climbing the lock ladder, If the lock is not very deep I will throw the rope up to land on the lock side but if it is deeper, I just hold the end in one hand with the rope trailing to the side of the ladder when climbing it.

As John says, each person develops a method that works for them when single handing, but the secret is to have a consistent arrangement and execute it with care.

I now try to avoid ladders altogether, but sometimes I can't get off as the boat enters the lock, in which case I usually throw the windlass up onto the lock side (Never hit anyone or had it fall back yet, and only once landed in dogsh*t!). I see no reason not to put a loop round my arm in narrow locks, but in wide or deep locks I do as David does and climb with my other (much longer) rope in one hand. Always glad to get to the top, though (and even gladder to get my feet on the boat when going down!)

I now try to avoid ladders altogether, but sometimes I can't get off as the boat enters the lock, in which case I usually throw the windlass up onto the lock side (Never hit anyone or had it fall back yet, and only once landed in dogsh*t!). I see no reason not to put a loop round my arm in narrow locks, but in wide or deep locks I do as David does and climb with my other (much longer) rope in one hand. Always glad to get to the top, though (and even gladder to get my feet on the boat when going down!)

I know that climbing the ladders is not everyones idea of fun, but it has never bothered me even if my hands get filthy in the process. I suppose it goes back to the days when the only way you could get out of a lock was up the gate off the foredeck! Somewhere in the TV archives there could be film of me doing just that when they were filming "Flower of Gloucester" back in the 1960's.

Edited by David Schweizer

<snip>

my slightly over long ropes were not so long that they could fall off the roof and lead to a visit down the weed hatch!

I checked how long ours was when fixed to the centre loop, then cut it and made a back splice to avoid it going in the prop

Richard

I occasionally use two centre ropes but mostly use just one. There are the roof items that can get in the way of using one rope but the obstacles are not too bad on our boat.

One thing I have found useful is connecting the rope via a bow shackle rather that directly to the roof loop or eye. This seems to make it more manoeuvrable.

Guest wanted

Also never understood the need for those dangly things people have tied to the side of their boats.

Nor did I until we acquired a kamikaze cat! best cat ladders around I find:cheers:

Well, thanks to everybody for all the replies. I am now duly enlightened.

As I have dinner-plate type vents and no chimneys on the rear half of my roof, I am happy that one centre line is sufficient for me. There is a plank and pole, but no other clutter so it is easy to flick my line either side.

It is quite astonishing though, how much discussion can be generated by a single rope!

I have actually learnt a thing or two as well.

So cheers to all.

Brian

Better to stow these when boating! They make all sorts of strange noises when you go under bridges.

Even a non erect wind turbine sticks up a bit. At least our old Rutland does. It is the rudder that does it

Edited by jelunga

I checked how long ours was when fixed to the centre loop, then cut it and made a back splice to avoid it going in the prop

Richard

My feeling is that if a centre line is too short to get tangled in the prop it is too short to be of much use. Theodora's centre line is about 45 feet long. I don't know the name of the fibre of which it is made but I found one which was heavy enough to carry against the wind. It will sink if dropped into the water.

Nick