Single Handed boating....any good tips?

cazberry

Featured Posts

One of my New Year resolutions is to try and get out and about on my boat more on my own...

Have done a Helmsman course; which was great, but would really appreciate any good tips on going alone.

Maybe there are some good books available...anyone know of any?

Any guidance would be must appreciated...

ta muchly

One of my New Year resolutions is to try and get out and about on my boat more on my own...

Have done a Helmsman course; which was great, but would really appreciate any good tips on going alone.

ta muchly

Can't just lay my hands on my copy but I think Chris Deuchar's "A Boaters Guide to Boating" has a lot of tips for single handing, including a working pair, if you are so minded!

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale

Best way is to go out with someone who has been doing it for years and get them to tell you what to do, allot is confidence in yourself and your boat and the way it behaves. What is good for me and my boat might not be good for you and yours.

Nothing to be scared about with it, it is quite easy when you have sorted it out.

ta muchly

This one is often recommended reading for single handers - often for sale at the shows too...

http://www.canaljunction.com/boat/singlehand.htm

ta muchly

At locks, go slowly, take your time, think through what you are doing, don't panic

The rest of the time, enjoy yourself

Oh, and a teapot under a tea cozy on the rear slide means you can have more than one mug of tea without having to go inside

Richard

• Greenie 1

I have singler handed many times and agree with the 2 centre ropes. Make sure they are long enough to get to the top of any lock you intend to go through (+ a bit more).

Always, always, always store them in the same place and in the same manner after you have used them. You may (or even will) need to use them urgently and you don't want to be untangling them in a hurry.

Take your time and think and plan about 2 steps ahead.

Wear a life jacket, even on canals. If you fall in and damage yourself on the way down they may be nobody around to drag you out.

If on a river make sure your anchor is out of the locker ready to use and is attached to the boat.

Enjoy it.

• Greenie 1

ta muchly

I cruise single handed vast amounts of the system in all weathers day or night,canals and rivers.

the two centre lines/ropes are good for me.and no clutter on roof.my method was to seek advice from veteran boaters,on rivers who have lots of realtime boating single-handed.also its good to learn this way if theres every two on board and the other person becomes ill.

tidal rivers,I was told all sorts of advice about deploying an anchor etc....its up to you to seek the proper advice..I would use this forum as much as you can..on flights of locks I have my method of doing them early in the morning/lapworth for example to avoid good intended assistance/at foxton assistance was welcomes on a hot summers day,all i did was enjoy the uphill ride...on the leeds and liverpool.its always audience participation that works for me on swing bridges i.e fishermen/walkers/or hire boats......otherwise I resort to useing a rope...observation is the key

Edited by sheriff

Gosh...lots of good advice and thanks for the book advice too, will def look them up.

To be honest I don't see myself going on rivers alone...at least not until I'm way more confident on the canals first!

I like the idea of going out with someone who has done loads of singlehanded boating....now all I need is to find someone I can trust!

'fraid my trust in others has been truly tested since getting my boat.... :mellow:

2012...onwards and upwards!!

Colin Edmondson's book 'Going It Alone' is excellent. Google for various sources.

Richard

Ditto

Frank

At locks, go slowly, take your time, think through what you are doing, don't panic

The rest of the time, enjoy yourself

Oh, and a teapot under a tea cozy on the rear slide means you can have more than one mug of tea without having to go inside

Richard

Flask of coffee, a thermal mug and an empty bladder

Frank

Take your time, particularly around locks.

Don't attempt to go too far in a day.

Make sure you have warm dry clothes where you can get them

Think ahead

Take your time

Enjoy yourself

ooooer....now that sounds like I well may be taking a swim :help: Lifejacket on maybe?

I like the last bit though...I really hope I'll get confident enough to enjoy myself...

ooooer....now that sounds like I well may be taking a swim :help: Lifejacket on maybe?

I like the last bit though...I really hope I'll get confident enough to enjoy myself...

That's more about having things to hand. For example, what if it starts raining? Can you get to a coat and hat easily? My worst trip was coming into town against a bit of river flow on my own. It started raining, but I couldn't leave the tiller to get a coat.

I got drenched and frozen, and had to have two medicinal glasses of single malt to recover. Honest, no other alternative, they were completely vital.

Hi Cazberry - happy new year!

I lived on my 58' semi trad in a marina for 2 years and gradually plucked up courage to got out single handed - day trips progressed to weeks out and then last year my working pattern changed to one week on nights followed by 7 days off. I took the plunge and left the marina (GU at Hemel Hempstead) on 1st March and had a fantastic time, most of it single handed, although (particularly when the weather was good) I often had visitors for short trips or day barbeques.

Due to increasingly frail parents I found a marina mooring near home on the Thames for this winter but prior to that my spring, summer and autumn was spent on the GU, Oxford, Thames and K&A and I had an absolute blast!

I'm a 5'5" 56kg 38 year old woman and apart from the VERY occasional stuck gate (there's always a man keen to help who pops up out of nowhere in these situations) I have never found my size, weight or sex to be of any hinderance whatsoever. I do have quite a large black fearsome sounding dog so never felt vulnerable mooring up at night and a little common sense when choosing mooring sites goes a long way.

Where abouts are you? I'd be more than happy to have more of a chat or even meet up if you'd like more encouragement - I absolutely adore taking my boat out on my own and with a London Olympic Mooring in August I can't wait to get going again.

Cheers,

Anna

...oh, by the way, I have a photo blog of my trip on my Facebook page if you need visual evidence of what a great time you can have - yes, even in the rain!

Cazberry, if you're interested look for me on FB - Anna Schumann, there's not many of us and i've got short blonde curly hair & holding a poorly dog.

Anna

Some excellent advice so far, particularly about 2 centre ropes, uncluttered roof, thinking ahead etc. but so far mooring location has only been mentioned once.

As you will have to spend several dark hours in one place, choose where to moor carefully. If in a town or city try to moor with other boats around, if more in the country look for things like how worn the towpath is, how much graffiti on bridges, is there a good signal for your phone in case of emergency?

Stay one step ahead, often even the smallest villages have the lad who thinks it's funny to untie your mooring lines.

If you know you are safe and secure, you will feel a lot happier and sleep better.

Well you may, but its more frequent to be rained on, and knowing you've got your dry stuff handy is "quite comforting"

Always found these to be vital when cruising single handed.

I have been mainly single handing for 4 years now and agree with all the above. I only ave a single centre line, but have perfected the cross boat flip.

All my junk is well forward of the centre line hold point. I always have a flask of coffee or bovril, or in summer, bottled water. I always leave the beer/wine until I reach destination or pick up friends/family.

The locks are challenging, along with swing bridges. I summer, I invariably leave one gate open when exiting, as it's a 50/50 chance of benefiting someone else, and by the time you have shut one, the other one usually swings open anyway(esp on the GU).

You can usally use the ground and gate paddles to hold the boat to one side of the lock in wide locks....and on windy days, you usually get used to the boat starting against one lock wall, and crossing to the other as the boat rises and the wind catches it.

• Greenie 2

You will meet others at locks coming the other way or from behind, but don't let anyone rush you. If they look like they're in a hurry explain to them that you're single-handed and will be working the lock at your own pace. If you're sharing a lock then it's a slightly different situation, but the same principal applies. Most reasonable crews will suggest that you stay on your boat while they work the lock.

If you're working a lock and passers-by start talking to you, don't become distracted and always keep your eye on your boat.

Ditto

Frank

Flask of coffee, a thermal mug and an empty bladder

Frank

I being male do not find this necessary, as I find it just possible to........ but as the the OP is female, we won't go into that. :o

As to two centre lines, well I do have two, but the second has two permanent loops in it, one at the end and one halfway along, for quickly dropping over bollards. Without this extra facility, I see no reason for two centre lines as long as there are no obstructions on the roof.

But to the OP - go for it. Before very long you'll prefer singlehanding. Oh, and be very careful about accepting help at locks - I never like to stay on my boat and let a stranger operate the lock.

Mac

I single hand alot, i just take my time, and just make sure i'm enjoying it.

You will develop your own techiques soon enough, the hardest bit for me is mooring up at the end of the day, the k&a is shallow in the edges and often needs a leap of faith, unfortunatly this can leave no way back, so i have a extra long plank available to use and always have a mallet and spikes to hand when on my own.

I now mostly prefer to go alone, sure company is nice but there is also a nice chilled out feeling being out on your own.

Thames locks can be tricky, but i always make sure the locky knows i'm on my own, then i tie a long line from the bow t stud back to a suitable ring/bollard making sure there is enough slack for the boat to raise or lower fully, then i angle the rear line and after wrapping it around a bollard, hold this by hand, to secure the stern keeping everything nice and in control. The lockies are great and as long as they know whats happening will wait for you to be comfortable.

Good luck

Paul

Edited by GSer

wot he said and, before you set off, :

Damp the stove down .

Check everything is stable & not going to fall on the floor.

Make sure your wallet is locked & hidden away.

Put the tiller & pin in before you cast off! (My favourite mistake!) And start the engine first. And connect the centre line.

Make sure you can get to the bow through the boat.

Pull your big fenders in. Nothing personal.

Know your route ahead.

Target destination

Key landmarks

Possible winding points

Services - rubbish, poo points, water, shops

(It is a pain to suddenly feel tired & have to dig the map out (& glasses) to work out where you can sensibly stop whilst keeping one hand on the tiller.)

Have a nappy pin tied on a line front & back and ideally a free line too. It is so much easier to drop a clip over armco when it is available than trying to hammer in a peg whilst holding the boat against the wind. And not having to take the nappy pins off when using ordinary pins is also good.

Never get off the boat with the engine running in gear - unless you deliberately intend to (eg working a lock). Never when trying to moor against the bank.

Don't let the diesel go low.

Check the bilges before every startup. A right chore but occasionally stops you making a bad situation much worse.

Listen to a weather forecast. Nobody goes out a sailing boat without checking the weather forecast first and is good practice on canals too.

Have sun hat & sunglasses also to hand. Suddenly finding that the for next 3 hours you are sailing straight into a rising/setting sun is a pain.

Don't fall in. If you do, try to avoid hitting the boat or bank side as you go down. The hurt they can inflict is substantial.

Have food (as well as a little hot drink) to hand. It stops you getting cold.

Be wary of letting other people open paddles for you, even experienced boaters, and anybody in a hurry, including working boats. Most of them are angels but just a few are - not.

Have a clock where you can see it.

Keep a short (12ft??) piece of rope available for tying lock gates together that keep opening themselves before you get to the other end. This can be an alternative to opening the other end paddles a little.

The second time you find yourself wondering about whether it is time to stop, it is time to stop (when you can) for a break.

Have a check list for everything

Going for a trip

Leaving the boat

etc

Don't miss mealtimes! Stop & eat.

Travelling very early in the morning can be good.

Check your tunnel light works if there are tunnels ahead (before you start).

"Most reasonable crews will suggest that you stay on your boat while they work the lock." Agreed. It is an uncomfortable business when you would much rather be out there helping, but staying on your boat is usually more efficient - once you have established confidence in the other parties.

Know where your BW key, & anti-vandal key is (and your spare copies).

Carry a spare of everything. Hammer, pins, short lock keys, long lock keys, etc

Take your time & don't be rushed. You will get faster as you get the practice in. Display "L" plates if you are particularly keen that other people should understand your inexperience.

Some of these are good for double-handers, but for single handers there is nobody else to run around & rectify the situation.

Edited by system 4-50

Hi,

I'm a newbie to narrow boats and plan to spend most of my time on the boat alone in 2012. I have just done my first single handed trip (of more than one day) from Braunston to Oxford and back over Christmas and fully support all that is said above. I learned most of these lessons either from the forum beforehand or while on the journey. I only use one centre line and ensured it was always to hand and on the towpath side ready for use. I'm a good swimmer but wear a lifejacket at locks as you can't swim if your unconscious. Make sure it is a "life jacket" that will turn you onto your back rather than the cheaper "buoyancy aid" which won't. I keep waterproofs and dry coat hung on the back wall of the rear cabin where I can reach them from the tiller and a route guide close to hand (canal plan AC does a great route plan with facilities marked). As it gets chilly this time of year I have two pairs of gloves, one on and one warming on the calorifier.

Of all the lessons I would say "Take your Time" is the top tip. I made a few mistakes on the way such as trying to leave a lock while still tied to a bollard, opening the paddle before closing the bottom gate and casting off without the tiller arm fitted. All because I was rushing.

Finally, I take comfort knowing that no matter what stupid mistake I make, someone has almost certainly done it before, and if only my pride is damaged I'll get over it. Take to the water and enjoy it.

Martin