Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant

classicstove

Featured Posts

This promises to be quite an event for this year and a couple of days ago those who had applied to take part were notified if they were successful to attend - anyone going ?

http://www.thamesdiamondjubileepageant.org/Default.aspx

Yes, I have a friend who has been accepted with his nb but there is, I'm told, a press embargo until Jan 19th (IIRC) so I doubt that anyone will be able to confirm exact details until after that date if they stick to the rules.

Roger

Yes, I have a friend who has been accepted with his nb but there is, I'm told, a press embargo until Jan 19th (IIRC) so I doubt that anyone will be able to confirm exact details until after that date if they stick to the rules.

Roger

Well Timothy Spall will be there on his boat Princess Matilda and Granny Buttons has been turned down.

This promises to be quite an event for this year and a couple of days ago those who had applied to take part were notified if they were successful to attend - anyone going ?

http://www.thamesdiamondjubileepageant.org/Default.aspx

My application was succesfull but I've decided to pull out because, unfortunately, I simply can't afford to make the trip.

The scrutineering process appears quite rigid too, for instance there's a requirement for two VHF sets per boat, and there is a risk that some boats won't pass and be stuck in King George V dock for 4 days.

Keith

My application was succesfull but I've decided to pull out because, unfortunately, I simply can't afford to make the trip.

The scrutineering process appears quite rigid too, for instance there's a requirement for two VHF sets per boat, and there is a risk that some boats won't pass and be stuck in King George V dock for 4 days.

Keith

Where is that stated?

Tim

http://www.thamesdia...rg/Default.aspx

"The flotilla will be travelling at a speed of 4 knots with the ebbing tide increasing its speed through the water to 6 knots."

Eh? How does that work exactly?

The flotilla will be travelling at a speed of 4 knots with the ebbing tide increasing its speed through the water to 6 knots.

Broad Ambition (ex Star Supreme 1)a fully restored and improved ex Powles wooden hire cruiser has been accepted for the flotilla.

The lead owner has already published some details on the Norfolk Broads forum. It looks like a sea passage from Lowestoft. He is ex grey funnel line and was on Coastal Training Craft so has all the experience and skills needed.

Edited by NB Alnwick

We applied but were turned down. Feeling fairly ambivalent about it - it would have been good to do, one of those sheer 'for the hell of it' things that we get so few chances at. Then again, we've got a lovely summer planned and it does mean that we don't need to worry about moving the boat during school term time.

I'd still do it given half a chance ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my earlier post (no 8) it now looks as if there will be a number of Broads based boats leaving from Lowestoft for the Thames. Because of the range of vessel capabilites a convoy is probably out of the question but a mutual support voyage is being researched. Pressumably there will be other vessels from Northern rivers etc. also on passage down the North Sea.

Edited by NB Alnwick

They've published the list of all the flotilla boats. http://www.thamesdiamondjubileepageant.org/NewsStory.aspx?id=68 and then go down to the paragraph "The Sequence of the Flotilla" and at the end of the para is a clickable instantly downloadable little .pdf (411kb) which names all the boats in all the sections.

Nice to see they kept all the riff raff out then. :captain:

Narrow Boats there are forty narrow boats in this group: Arthur Dent (St Pancras CC), Barely A-wake (Worshipful Company of Innholders), Beatty (LL Merseyside), Blackjack, Bream (National Historic Ships), Centenary (LL Warwickshire), Doris Katia (St Pancras CC), Dragonfly, (St Pancras CC), Fulbourne (CCBG ), Galatea V (St Pancras CC), Gort, Hazellnut (Byfleet BC), Helix (London CC), Ketura (St Pancras CC), Leo No 2 (Byfleet BC), Lord Toulouse (LL Worcestershire), Lotus No 10 (SPCC), Madam (RYA), Marie Celeste (LL Lancashire), Mey Be Knot, Morpheus (London Studio Orchestra), Mountbatten Crusader (St John Ambulance Northamptonshire), Mr David (Towpath Talk Newspaper), Oh Be Joyful (LL Cheshire), Orlando (Thames Scout CC), Pied Piper (Northampton and Wellingborough Sea Cadets), Pirate Prince, President (LL Staffordshire), Quercus (Inland Waterways Assn), Scholar Gypsy, Shropshire Lad (LL Shropshire), Southern Cross, Stort Challenger (Canal Boat Project), Swingbridge 2 (Surrey Care Trust), Tarporley (Camden Canals and Narrowboat Assocn), Waterscape (British Waterways)

14skipper

Narrow Boats there are forty narrow boats in this group: Arthur Dent (St Pancras CC), Barely A-wake (Worshipful Company of Innholders), Beatty (LL Merseyside), Blackjack, Bream (National Historic Ships), Centenary (LL Warwickshire), Doris Katia (St Pancras CC), Dragonfly, (St Pancras CC), Fulbourne (CCBG ), Galatea V (St Pancras CC), Gort, Hazellnut (Byfleet BC), Helix (London CC), Ketura (St Pancras CC), Leo No 2 (Byfleet BC), Lord Toulouse (LL Worcestershire), Lotus No 10 (SPCC), Madam (RYA), Marie Celeste (LL Lancashire), Mey Be Knot, Morpheus (London Studio Orchestra), Mountbatten Crusader (St John Ambulance Northamptonshire), Mr David (Towpath Talk Newspaper), Oh Be Joyful (LL Cheshire), Orlando (Thames Scout CC), Pied Piper (Northampton and Wellingborough Sea Cadets), Pirate Prince, President (LL Staffordshire), Quercus (Inland Waterways Assn), Scholar Gypsy, Shropshire Lad (LL Shropshire), Southern Cross, Stort Challenger (Canal Boat Project), Swingbridge 2 (Surrey Care Trust), Tarporley (Camden Canals and Narrowboat Assocn), Waterscape (British Waterways)

14skipper

Waterscape has to be the least important, worst looking, and frankly,disappointing boat in that list.

I do have an agenda :P , after it was moored on lock moorings on the Buckby flight a couple of years ago.....for 4 days.

14skipper

Kingfisher and White Heather are also taking part.

Tim

We have been acepted for this, but I am a litle worried about the amount of time we will have to spend at the Royal Docks, as we will be doing this as part of a trip round the Thames ring we will have the 2 Dogs with us! Does anyone know if its possible to get the Dogs on off the boat there? My guess is not.

Edited by P R

so how comes St pancras got so many of the few slots? insider dealing?

Doubt it. I think something like a 1/4 of the boats that applied were in some way connected to the SPCC and they have a lot of tideway experience. I am surprised that only so few got in, there are some startling omissions eg one of only two boats which did the initial run and then the big rehearsal did not get in.

P R: It sounds like you have never been on the tidal Thames? My advice to you is get down early and get acquainted.

Doubt it. I think something like a 1/4 of the boats that applied were in some way connected to the SPCC and they have a lot of tideway experience. I am surprised that only so few got in, there are some startling omissions eg one of only two boats which did the initial run and then the big rehearsal did not get in.

P R: It sounds like you have never been on the tidal Thames? My advice to you is get down early and get acquainted.

They are being quite fussy, rightly so, about having experienced 'masters'. No doubt members of the StPCC are more likely to have that relevant experience than your average narrow boater.

Tim