Electric calorifier

nina

Featured Posts

Hope everyone had a good Christmas. We're thinking of buying an electric calorifier to heat water. We have an eberspacher which does the job but wondered if it might be more efficient to install a calorifier.

Anyone got any thoughts they might care to share? Is one make better than another, how much do they cost, are they a good option, etc? Thanks

Hope everyone had a good Christmas. We're thinking of buying an electric chlorifier to heat water. We have an eberspatcher which does the job but wondered if it might be more efficient to install a chlorifier.

Anyone got any thoughts they might care to share? Is one make better than another, how much do they cost, are they a good option, etc? Thanks

Er, didn't think the eberspatcher directly heated the hot water? So I'm guessing you already have a clarifier (spelling!), this may already have the fitting for a electric element.

If your not on shore power then don't bother.

Did I get the spelling wrong? Sorry. Yes, the eberspatcher does heat the water fine but it keeps overheating and clogging up. Have had it serviced & fixed regularly but it still seems to struggle. Yesterday someone suggested that you have to keep the diesel tank full because in cold weather, condensation in the tank will cause the eberspatcher to smoke and seize.

Someone suggested a clarifier? Thought I'd ask about the options.

Sorry if don't use all the correct terminology. I'm not really into all the engine side.

As already suggested, look for an existing calorifier - it will take the form of a horizontal or vertical tank. The Eberspacher will typically provide hot water (80°C) to a coil within it, which in turn will heat the water it contains.

Calorifiers often have a blanked off threaded boss to take a screw in immersion heater element which would solve your problem.

Failing finding one, TecTanks and Sure Cal both offer a range. If you buy a twin coil one with immersion heater boss you can have three ways of heating water, with a hook up to the engine cooling system.

Edited by richardhula

Did I get the spelling wrong? Sorry. Yes, the eberspatcher does heat the water fine but it keeps overheating and clogging up. Have had it serviced & fixed regularly but it still seems to struggle. Yesterday someone suggested that you have to keep the diesel tank full because in cold weather, condensation in the tank will cause the eberspatcher to smoke and seize.

Someone suggested a clarifier? Thought I'd ask about the options.

A calorifier (looked up spelling!) is like your hot water tank at home, on boats it's usually heated up via the engine and a lot of the times another source like a back boiler or heater like an ebespatcher. They usually come with an 240v electric element, but if your not on shore line don't use it.

Link: http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Products/PlumbingGas/Calorifiers/Vertical/WithFittings/Hc038.aspx

Eberspacher do a water heater, and very efficient it is too. Had a boat with one fitted, otherwise I would assume they just made heaters.

Albert

Thanks Albert :-) I'm the wife on a mission today while husband has gone back to work. I'll show him all the comments tonight when he arrives home. Thanks again to everyone.

A calorifier (looked up spelling!) is like your hot water tank at home, on boats it's usually heated up via the engine and a lot of the times another source like a back boiler or heater like an ebespatcher. They usually come with an 240v electric element, but if your not on shore line don't use it.

Link: http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Products/PlumbingGas/Calorifiers/Vertical/WithFittings/Hc038.aspx

Thankyou, yes we are onshore. Thought I'd spelt it wrong ;-)

Must be installed by a qualified Gas Safety engineer!

Mike

Must be installed by a competent person, not necessarily gas safe. Good idea to get it checked/signed off by a Gas Safety Engineer. Room sealed not necessary. Fitted one of these on my own boat over a year ago. No issues to date. Don't leave the pilot alight. Just light it when you want to use it otherwise your wasting gas. Personally wouldn't be without one ever again. Got mine plumbed in so I can turn a valve on the water supply to use either the Morco or the calorifier so I can use free hot water when out and about and as a back up.

This is the one I got, if you shop around you can get it cheaper than this.

My link

Must be installed by a competent person, not necessarily gas safe.

I stand erected, or should that be corrected? :rolleyes:

It was from your experience, that I recommended the Morco. A boater friend near to us in Audlem, has just bought a Morco water heater and he intends to install it himself, then as you suggest, have it signed off by a Gas Safe engineer.

Can't be complacent where gas is concerned!

Mike

I stand erected, or should that be corrected? :rolleyes:

It was from your experience, that I recommended the Morco. A boater friend near to us in Audlem, has just bought a Morco water heater and he intends to install it himself, then as you suggest, have it signed off by a Gas Safe engineer.

Can't be complacent where gas is concerned!

Mike

My local tame gas safety engineer was telling me recently how many times he gets called out to boats after recently having a BSS or a Survey. Makes you wonder how many check the test point for leaks after refitting the screw! Soapy water must be in short supply...

I can't find it on the website, what's the model number.

No idea what model it was as I sold the boat 15 years ago, however it wasn't hugely efficient until I had a header tank (for diesel) fitted. Then it was just a case of keeping the diesel header tank topped up to avoid condensation in the tank, worked far better on a gravity supply. I've seen this type of Eberspacher on ebay, as I recall the last one made around £240.00

Albert.

Hi Nina,

have you considered a Morco gas powered water heater?

Instant heat at your taps. Must be installed by a qualified Gas Safety engineer!

My link

Great Christmas thanks!

Mike

Got rid of our Morco last year, worst and most unreliable piece of kit I've ever owned. Replaced with a calorifier from Surecal, absolutely brilliant!!!

Rust on copper/brass fittings?rolleyes.gif

Any way

How much gas does a Morco use?

Alex

Depends on how often you shower :blink:

I reckon that we went from using a gas bottle every 5 months to every 4 so not a lot and certainly cheaper than burning oil as it is an in demand solution. What I like is that you only hest what you use when you want to use it. That's for 2 liveaboards showering most days unlike the Rodneys next door :lol:

That's for 2 liveaboards showering most days unlike the Rodneys next door :lol:

That must be Dr No and Pussy Galore then! :P

Personally speaking, we always shower once a month, whether we need it or not. :rolleyes:

Edited by Doorman

That must be Dr No and Pussy Galore then! :P

Personally speaking, we always shower once a month, whether we need it or not. :rolleyes:

I used to think it was the lunar calender that was the source of the fluctuating levels and currents in the marina........ :blink:

Don't you mean Dr Evil and Mini Me?

Edited by Masquerade