Batteries going flat - a different story to usual

JonL

Featured Posts

I take it they are the "blue" headlights?

Yes

Tim

Fog or falling snow used to be the rule, but not sure now. Around where I live they switch the rear foglight on from October through 'till April.

"Rear fog lamp (prohibited to be)

(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to the driver of a following vehicle.

(b)Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

©Save in the case of an emergency vehicle, used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked."

from

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/27/made

I presume that to be current?

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Yes

Tim

I dislike those too. Way too bright for street lit areas IMHO. Some are really "blue" and I have mistaken them for an emergency vehicle from a distance in my mirror. Not impressed at all I'm afraid.

I dislike those too. Way too bright for street lit areas IMHO. Some are really "blue" and I have mistaken them for an emergency vehicle from a distance in my mirror. Not impressed at all I'm afraid.

They have a very powerful beam with a very sharp cutoff, & on anything other than a straight & level road there's too much likelihood of dazzling oncoming traffic.

Tim

Certainly sounds that way - or you may have something like a dodgy boot/tailgate light switch and it's not putting the light out when you shut it.

I had a problem with battery going flat sometimes for no apparent reason,it turned out to be a bit of kit which controlled delayed functions like courtesy lights etc, including intermitent wipe. This bit of kit was faulty and the lights were coming on on their own. I only sussed this when I found my wipers operating themselves.

Phil

I had a problem with battery going flat sometimes for no apparent reason,it turned out to be a bit of kit which controlled delayed functions like courtesy lights etc, including intermitent wipe. This bit of kit was faulty and the lights were coming on on their own. I only sussed this when I found my wipers operating themselves.

Phil

The usual favourites for flattening batteries are the after market alarm system, hands free kit or radio. The quiescent current of some of these is horrendous and some will flatten a fully charged battery in a couple of days.

Another item for this list is (are) the automatic window winder motors, particularly if your vehicle is fitted with the type which has a delay which allows them to still operate after the ignition has been turned off.

They cab suffer from problems with the load sensor being slow to detect 'end of travel' and continuing to draw significant power.

The usual favourites for flattening batteries are the after market alarm system, hands free kit or radio. The quiescent current of some of these is horrendous and some will flatten a fully charged battery in a couple of days.

Having spent nearly 40 years in the Aftermarket I can confirm that we are usually blamed but phones, alkarms and radios, WHEN PROPERLY INSTALLED, are rarely the culprits.

Edited by pearley

Those lights are the spawn of the devil - interesting that it use to be Police patrol cars that first had them fitted and it was a handy as you could spot one behind you at night - now just about every tom dick and harry has them or even worse 'the fake' ones with bulbs made with blue coloured glass.... :angry:

Car radios may be 50w (but more likely not, as it's rated in PMPO a lot of the times!), plus you wouldn't have it on full all the time, that and older car radios would have used more (Mine has valves! :) ). Blower fan, can't see it been used, after a few minutes it would have gone cold without the engine running.

Even if you had a PSP, smartphones and the likes plugged in (unless a few), I would still expect a modern car to start unless the battery was already ucked.

Many modern circulation fans have no 'off' position