Webasto heating with Fin rads - help please

Emerald

Featured Posts

I think, as mentioned much earlier, the water is taking the easiest path through the calorifier, with little making it's way around the Finrads. There should be a valve on the calorifier circuit to allow balancing of the two flows. As it happens, it would also allow stopping the flow through the empty calorifier as well.

Richard

And I use to drive them.

Bringing the thread back on topic...

I have Finrads at home and they're great.

I have panel rads on the boat and my little Mikuni (4.5Kw) get's then very hot in about half an hour. Takes longer to heat the boat, though.

What bothers me is that the heat must be going somewhere. If the Webasto runs for two hours before it cycles then something is getting hot - otherwise the heater will shut down. Happens to me if cover all the rads with blankets (to air them).

Do you have an air lock I wonder, quite possible if the pipe run feeding the rads goes up and down. It should self vent, though.

Perhaps we don't have all the information???

Just been reading some heating system drawings for boat stoves, they sent boiler water through a coil in the calorifier then sent water from the second coil in the calorifier to some radiators, -I'm sure they can think of a good reason! http://www.oilstoves.co.uk/webdocs/technical/Bubble/Bubble_Marine_Preamble.pdf top of page 11 Now IF the OPs finrads are plumbed like this then there would be no output from the finrads if there was no water in the calorifier - maybe this is why they were advised not to run with a drained calorifier.

Just been reading some heating system drawings for boat stoves, they sent boiler water through a coil in the calorifier then sent water from the second coil in the calorifier to some radiators, -I'm sure they can think of a good reason!

I didn't read the gravity feed schematic quite like that. I interpret the drawing as showing the right hand side calorifier coil disconnected, and the pipes to the radiator shown to the right of the calorifier effectively passing behind the calorifier, being part of the circuit to the left. (?)

However, if the OP's circuit is connected how you describe, that would certainly have the effect he's seeing...

Just been reading some heating system drawings for boat stoves, they sent boiler water through a coil in the calorifier then sent water from the second coil in the calorifier to some radiators, -I'm sure they can think of a good reason! http://www.oilstoves.co.uk/webdocs/technical/Bubble/Bubble_Marine_Preamble.pdf top of page 11 Now IF the OPs finrads are plumbed like this then there would be no output from the finrads if there was no water in the calorifier - maybe this is why they were advised not to run with a drained calorifier.

I think you've mis-read the diagram, the end radiator isn't connected to the 2nd coil on the calorifer, but too the 35mm copper pipework like all the other radiators.