armstrong siddeley

station tug

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...

Is it a generator engine? The control only has "stop" and "run". If it is, I wonder how easy it is to "marinate" and attach the gearbox.

I think the black lever on the green bracket to the left of and below the stop lever is the speeder control.

As for fitting the gearbox....

N

Be careful, that gearbox is not the standard fit, or indeed a Parsons box. It is also quite expensive, if you are just looking for spares. I think most AS2s in narrow boats run the 3:1 box.

Conversion to variable speed is relatively easy, so I was advised by much missed Tim Leech. It requires changing springs apparently. The maintenance manual from AS (on Ebay) and also the installation and maintenance manuals issued by Parsons are available from the current owners of Parsons who are Mathway Parsons in Southampton.

Also difficult may be sourcing marine feet if you are mounting it on normal engine beds. They could be fabricated but they would never be as pretty as the cast ones.

Parsons Mathway were acquired by a firm in Coventry, still giving support for the gearboxes.

Be careful, that gearbox is not the standard fit, or indeed a Parsons box. It is also quite expensive, if you are just looking for spares. I think most AS2s in narrow boats run the 3:1 box.

Conversion to variable speed is relatively easy, so I was advised by much missed Tim Leech. It requires changing springs apparently. The maintenance manual from AS (on Ebay) and also the installation and maintenance manuals issued by Parsons are available from the current owners of Parsons who are Mathway Parsons in Southampton.

I dont know where I got the Parsons from, may have been another ad I was looking at.

I managed to get a complete non runner for 90 quid and two half completes for 100 quid. Ideally I'd like to get the 3 running and marinised them. I can certainly get two out of the 3 going and await boxes as and when I find them. As ever, it's the fuel systems that are somewhat missing. The danger us if I buy more I end up with extra crankcases lying around...... and we don't have space for more engine bits!!

• 10 months later...

I might still have a worn one, I'll look later.

They can be sleeved back to original bore, Gardner LW liners do the job.

Tim

An old reply, but I'll give it a try...

I have 2 AS2 engines, both with worn out bores. Any technical advice for how to resleeve aircooled cylinders with sufficient heat transfer retained?

Tips and tricks?

I'd love to be able to save them, and put atleast one of them back into light service powering a compressor block.

• 2 years later...

We have recently acquired a stock of 1 2 and 3 cylinder Armstrongs. Also a load of spares which we we are yet to catalogue, but there is a lot in the boxes. We have a good 3 cylinder and also 3, 2 cylinders which we would look at selling as short engines to drop onto your marinised feet and gearboxes should it be required. If anyone is interested, drop me an email to dan(at)langleymillboatyard.co.uk. we are a few weeks away from digging into the spares but if it's urgent I can have a look!

Kind regards

Dan