armstrong siddeley

station tug

Featured Posts

• 9 months later...

We are nearly ready to fit an Armstrong Siddley 3 cylinder in our Tug. The main problem is we do not have a starter motor. Can anyone give us a part number for the starter motor or help us.

We have completely refurbished the engine with new injectors and injector pumps.

We are nearly ready to fit an Armstrong Siddley 3 cylinder in our Tug. The main problem is we do not have a starter motor. Can anyone give us a part number for the starter motor or help us.

We have completely refurbished the engine with new injectors and injector pumps.

Talk to Bob at G E Middleton, City Road, Manchester, they should be able to supply what you need at a realistic price. It's what used to be known as a CA45 starter, they have a metric designation now, I think Bob will know the exact model & they do mail order.

0161 872 8409.

Have you got the mounting spacer on the flywheel housing?

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Talk to Bob at G E Middleton, City Road, Manchester, they should be able to supply what you need at a realistic price. It's what used to be known as a CA45 starter, they have a metric designation now, I think Bob will know the exact model & they do mail order.0161 872 8409. Have you got the mounting spacer on the flywheel housing? Tim

Yes we do have the mounting spacer on the flywheel. We are just ringing them now..

Thank you.

Have you tried the Armstrong Siddeley Owners Club? It's primarily for the motor cars but they bought all the AS spares from Rolls Royce in the 60s and have some odd bits for diesels.

The club stores is in Wiltshire, only manned Monday and Tuesday though 01225 723809 www.siddeley.com

(My dad is an AS car owner)

According to Pop, Don Roeper (sic) in Holland is also a possible source of spares.

Rob

I miss mine too.

Never any need to fit a starter motor either. It always started easily on the handle.

You were probably young and fit.

Armstrongs are not the easiest engines to start by hand, partly because the starting handle is too low for comfort (with a usual boat installation), and partly because they don't start as readily as some competitors (HA Lister for example).

I do rate them highly overall, though.

Tim

You were probably young and fit.

Armstrongs are not the easiest engines to start by hand, partly because the starting handle is too low for comfort (with a usual boat installation),

Mine must have been the exception because my OH (5' 4" of nothing) could start it single handed too.

• 1 month later...

Long time no post, but here goes. Am sorting diesel supply on my as2 merganser. Bss examiner has twice disliked the soldered banjo fittings supplying each injection pump, but I can't source a tidy compression fitting to replace. Someone wondered if the solder on these pipes is either silver solder or braze and is of a higher mp and not a fire risk (as examiner worries). Both my as2s have same fittings and all others I have seen. Any comments? Thanks

Long time no post, but here goes. Am sorting diesel supply on my as2 merganser. Bss examiner has twice disliked the soldered banjo fittings supplying each injection pump, but I can't source a tidy compression fitting to replace. Someone wondered if the solder on these pipes is either silver solder or braze and is of a higher mp and not a fire risk (as examiner worries). Both my as2s have same fittings and all others I have seen. Any comments? Thanks

I'd expect them to be silver soldered (brazed). Try the edge of a file or a hacksaw blade on the actual solder. If it marks very easily and the mark is silver coloured, it's soft solder and needs replacing. If it's not very soft, and the mark is a yellowish colour, it's silver solder and OK.

Tim

So if the mark is not silver it's silver solder, if the mark is silver it's not silver solder?

That won't confuse anybody, then.

Correct.

Soft solder is a lead/tin alloy, they are both silver coloured.

Silver solder is actually a brazing alloy with copper, silver, zinc and other metals, the copper and zinc gives it the 'brassy' colour.

Strictly speaking it should be called silver brazing.

Just to add to the confusion, since lead has been banned from electronics soldering, there are solders being sold as 'silver solder' which have a tiny amount of silver but are true solders. The melting point is what distinguishes brazing (including silver soldering) from soldering.

Tim

• 7 months later...

Hi, I'm looking for a cylinder for an AS2. Does anyone have one or know where I can find one?

Bill

I might still have a worn one, I'll look later.

They can be sleeved back to original bore, Gardner LW liners do the job.

Tim

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a quick look & couldn't see it, but now you've reminded me I'll have a more determined search.

Tim

Spotted it at the back of a shelf full of heavy gear, so it does exist.

I'll drag it out when I can & check the bore etc.

Tim

• 1 year later...