The Navigation at Lapworth to reopen

classicstove

Featured Posts

The 'Navvy' at Lapworth on the Grand Union Canal at Lapworth is going to reopen in Jan 2012

The pub for many years was run successfully by Andrew Kimber, where it gained a reputation for well kept real ales and hearty portions of good pub grub (who can forget the signature dish large cod and chips), and was then taken over where it was unable to replicate the success and found to have not so clean kitchens closing a couple of months ago.

The pub externally has had a repaint and tidied up with new signs erected saying food always available and expected to reopen in mid January

Will update when I have sampled the beer available

The 'Navvy' at Lapworth on the Grand Union Canal at Lapworth is going to reopen in Jan 2012

The pub for many years was run successfully by Andrew Kimber, where it gained a reputation for well kept real ales and hearty portions of good pub grub (who can forget the signature dish large cod and chips), and was then taken over where it was unable to replicate the success and found to have not so clean kitchens closing a couple of months ago.

The pub externally has had a repaint and tidied up with new signs erected saying food always available and expected to reopen in mid January

Will update when I have sampled the beer available

O I remember those fish and chips. I had heard about them and went in, asked a couple with fish creeping off the side of the plate if they were the large ones. "No, they are standard" came the reply, so I didn't order large ether.

I wonder what the cost of a pint will be.

A pub near to me (not on a canal but it did feature in the 1950's film 'Genvieve'(spelling?)) recently re-opened after renovation. A pint of London Pride went up by 45p. They also did away with Broadside, my absolute favourate.

Frank

• 6 months later...

June 27th. Been open now for about two weeks. I got a very warm welcome from the landlord Mark Ainley, with whom I had a chat about his redecorated pub. Beers in excellent condition, but no food yet. He assured me that food would be good original pub fare like liver and bacon, etc. The bogs were clean, well decorated and sweet smelling. I think this place has loads of promise and will visit it next time I'm passing. I would be interested in hearing about it's progress in the months to come.

I was in the pub alst night and it feels very fresh - could do with some soft furnishings but has great promise

Beer quite expensive (Pedigree £3.40 pint)bit all in good order - have at least 4 beers on hand pumps including Lapworth Gold (brewed by Byatts of Coventry) and almost uniquely me thinks, Guiness

Food said to be starting next week

Whetherv the 'whale and chips' will make a return as the signature dish will be seen in time

Are they doing proper cider again, too? Was very disappointed to pop in under the pre-closure management and find they'd axed the Westons they always used to serve.

Back on the 14th June they were offering:

I asked about beer, as that seems to be important. They have 5 possibly 6 cask beers on.

They are:

Timothy Taylor

Bass

Byatts - a local Coventry brew

Lapworth Gold - their own brew

Pedigree

And maybe one other they've forgotten then name of.

They are also doing a range of lagers, ciders, guinness etc.

For the banter, they were pretty good at beer, although they do seem to think Bass has to be served in a jug

Richard

>>Snip>>

Beer quite expensive (Pedigree £3.40 pint)bit all in good order - have at least 4 beers on hand pumps including Lapworth Gold (brewed by Byatts of Coventry) and almost uniquely me thinks, Guiness

Pedant alert :blink:

Something is either unique, or it ain't

Mind you, if the served Guiness - that IS unique - - most pubs serve Guinness :glare:

Back on the 14th June they were offering:

For the banter, they were pretty good at beer, although they do seem to think Bass has to be served in a jug

Richard

And so it should! From a jug and without a head! Mind you it's a pretty avrrage beer howeber it's served nowadays

Pedant alert :blink:

Something is either unique, or it ain't

Whilst I admire your insistence on the correct usage of unique, you may be being over zealous. If the post had read "quite unique", you'd be spot on, there are no degress of "uniqueness" (cringe). But the post read "almost uniquely". There's nothing wrong with that. Something can be almost unique. It's like saying "we're almost down to our last one".