Llangollen and Shroppie Cruise

GC Mike

Featured Posts

I'm seeking advice about a week cruising on the Llangollen and Shropshire Union Canals starting on 7th April next year.

A group of us have arranged to hire a 70' boat from Chirk Marina, and plan to do a brief visit to Trevor (to cross THE aqueduct) and then spend the rest of the week cruising to Chester and back.

Last year the same group of us did the long version of the Warwick Ring, with a brief visit to Coventry, in a week. This year's trip is apparently much shorter and has many fewer locks - so in theory should be no problem. But there's a few things which are 'unknowns'.

I've read about the 'flow' in the Llangollen which seems to have caused some problems of steering in tunnels and of by-wash below locks. I've also heard tales of queuing for locks - especially the Grindley Brook staircase. Do I need to worry about these?

In addition, seeing as we hope to spend a little less time 'on the move' - suggestions about places to stop, and pubs in which to eat, along the way would be most welcome.

You will have to do some pretty full days to do the whole Llangollen and go up to Chester. The main line to Chester is usually quiet, but the locks are wide so take longer to fill, but that is not a lot of time in the overall scheme of things. There are quiet moorings just past the big bridge by the Chinese resaturant and pub; before the bridge can be noisy with late-night revellers. Alternatively if you have time drop down through the staircase and stop over in the basin below.

The flow means it will take you longer to go upstream on the Langollen. The flow can be about half mile an hour - doesn't sound much but if you do 3 mph through the water that's 2.5mph upstream and 3.5 mph downstream - a significant difference. Grindley Brook can be a serious holdup. Depending on the day, I often hit it at either 7 in the morning or 7 in the evening. There are visitor moorings both above and below the lock flight.

The bywash on some of the locks can be tricky. If it looks quite strong, aim well to the right of the lock. As the wash pushes the bow across, steer into it. As the stern comes up to the wash, push the tiller over the other way to stop the stern swinging away. If you get it right, the boat will finish up going straight in to the lock without touching the sides. This will not happen if anyone is watching. Don't go too slowly - you need a fair bit of pace otherwise you will be pushed to the side and don't push off too near to the lock if you have had to stop on the towpath.

Steering in tunnels is not a problem - they are only short on the Llangollen and the trick is again to keep your speed up.

You will have to do some pretty full days to do the whole Llangollen and go up to Chester. The main line to Chester is usually quiet, but the locks are wide so take longer to fill, but that is not a lot of time in the overall scheme of things. There are quiet moorings just past the big bridge by the Chinese resaturant and pub; before the bridge can be noisy with late-night revellers. Alternatively if you have time drop down through the staircase and stop over in the basin below.

The flow means it will take you longer to go upstream on the Langollen. The flow can be about half mile an hour - doesn't sound much but if you do 3 mph through the water that's 2.5mph upstream and 3.5 mph downstream - a significant difference. Grindley Brook can be a serious holdup. Depending on the day, I often hit it at either 7 in the morning or 7 in the evening. There are visitor moorings both above and below the lock flight.

The bywash on some of the locks can be tricky. If it looks quite strong, aim well to the right of the lock. As the wash pushes the bow across, steer into it. As the stern comes up to the wash, push the tiller over the other way to stop the stern swinging away. If you get it right, the boat will finish up going straight in to the lock without touching the sides. This will not happen if anyone is watching. Don't go too slowly - you need a fair bit of pace otherwise you will be pushed to the side and don't push off too near to the lock if you have had to stop on the towpath.

Steering in tunnels is not a problem - they are only short on the Llangollen and the trick is again to keep your speed up.

Hi

As he said a bit ambitious in a week and no time to enjoy a relaxing cruise. See---My link - 50 hours just to Chester.

Spend a whole day in Llangollen ( the steam train is good) then take a trip down the canal and back. There are some nice spots and good pubs.

Alex

From Canalplanac

This is calculated based on 5 full days travelling starting at Chirk Marina.

Each full day will be approximately 12 hours and 26 minutes travelling.

You will note I only entered 5 days as if you are hiring for a week (7 days), the first and last days do not count as usually the first day is only an afternoon, if lucky and the last day the boat has to be back early morning.

From Canalplanac

You will note I only entered 5 days as if you are hiring for a week (7 days), the first and last days do not count as usually the first day is only an afternoon, if lucky and the last day the boat has to be back early morning.

Interesting.

I've also done a tailored plan using the same CanalPlanAC website. I presume you've realised we're not aiming to travel quite the full length of the Llangollen - only to Trevor to see the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct before winding and heading for Chester. I used the same terms as our trip last year - four hours the first afternoon (Saturday), then 6 full days (Sunday-Friday inclusive) and an hour on the last (Saturday) morning. The result I got was 7 hours 52 minutes per day.

The total trip - 113.79 miles and 70 locks, I thought was somewhat less ambitious than the 115.55 miles with 121 locks we achieved last year doing the Warwick Ring via King's Norton Junction and with a trip up the Coventry Arm.

Interesting.

I've also done a tailored plan using the same CanalPlanAC website. I presume you've realised we're not aiming to travel quite the full length of the Llangollen - only to Trevor to see the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct before winding and heading for Chester. I used the same terms as our trip last year - four hours the first afternoon (Saturday), then 6 full days (Sunday-Friday inclusive) and an hour on the last (Saturday) morning. The result I got was 7 hours 52 minutes per day.

The total trip - 113.79 miles and 70 locks, I thought was somewhat less ambitious than the 115.55 miles with 121 locks we achieved last year doing the Warwick Ring via King's Norton Junction and with a trip up the Coventry Arm.

Sorry It would help if I'd added the comment I'd intended to.

As its Easter the delays at the locks especially, Grindley Brook could be a bit lengthy but from the look of your planning you' probably factored them in.

Edited by Offcumden

From Canalplanac

A weeks hire would be 6 full days plus the first afternoon, not 5. At least that was what is was when we were hiring, eg leave Saturday mid afternoon, back for 9:00 AM the following Saturday.

Still a busy trip for a week though. We did Bunbury to Llangollen (and return) in a "hire week" in August with no problem though.

Edited by john6767

I'm seeking advice about a week cruising on the Llangollen and Shropshire Union Canals starting on 7th April next year.

A group of us have arranged to hire a 70' boat from Chirk Marina, and plan to do a brief visit to Trevor (to cross THE aqueduct) and then spend the rest of the week cruising to Chester and back.

Last year the same group of us did the long version of the Warwick Ring, with a brief visit to Coventry, in a week. This year's trip is apparently much shorter and has many fewer locks - so in theory should be no problem. But there's a few things which are 'unknowns'.

I've read about the 'flow' in the Llangollen which seems to have caused some problems of steering in tunnels and of by-wash below locks. I've also heard tales of queuing for locks - especially the Grindley Brook staircase. Do I need to worry about these?

In addition, seeing as we hope to spend a little less time 'on the move' - suggestions about places to stop, and pubs in which to eat, along the way would be most welcome.

Hi

Your useage of the word Holiday differs greatly to mine !! What you have described is a nice 14 day jaunt if you are in a hurry but an even better more enjoyable 3/4 weeks.......of course thats assuming it is a holiday as you dont actualy use that word :D

Perhaps it should have been 6 full days but do not work on anything for the first afternoon, I remember not getting a boat till 17:00 Hrs, late return and service/repairs required.

My route was Chirk - Chester - Chirk

The result I got was 7 hours 52 minutes per day.

Everyone to their own but to much for me.

Have a happy holiday.

Interesting.

Why would you not want to do the last bit up to Llangollen? In my view, it's one of the best bits with a real feeling of heading into the mountains, and excellent moorings at the end -- and certainly a lot more interesting that much of the rest of the canal (some of which I find slightly dull!).

If it was me, I'd plan to go to Llangollen and also incorporate a trip down the Montgomery (which has to be booked, but will be a haven of peace and quiet as boat numbers are limited). With the remaining time, go as far as you can (Whitchurch or the top of Grindley Brook, maybe) before turning around.

I've just checked in this summer's logbook. We tend to cover a lot of miles, and we travel at a good pace (ask anyone who has travelled with us). From the centre of Chester to Trevor in June this year took us 33 hours, and in that we were lucky because we waited only 30 minutes at Grindley Brook (and 15 at Hurleston).

That's only in one direction. The faster run downstream on the Llangollen is about 6 hours quicker, so the journey you propose is about 2x33-6=60 hours - which is surely too much for one week.

You can cut off 2x3=6 hours by turning at the Old Trooper and catching a bus into Chester, but that still means a trip of 53 hours.

As has been said I'd go up into Llangollen instead of aiming to get all the way Chester. Then you can just turn round when it seems like time to do so.

Perhaps it should have been 6 full days but do not work on anything for the first afternoon, I remember not getting a boat till 17:00 Hrs, late return and service/repairs required.

My route was Chirk - Chester - Chirk

Everyone to their own but to much for me.

Have a happy holiday.

When we hired it was always 8 hrs + at those prices I couldn't afford just to have the boat tied up. We even drove by car back to Llangollen after we had taken the boat back.

Why would you not want to do the last bit up to Llangollen? In my view, it's one of the best bits with a real feeling of heading into the mountains, and excellent moorings at the end -- and certainly a lot more interesting that much of the rest of the canal (some of which I find slightly dull!).

If it was me, I'd plan to go to Llangollen and also incorporate a trip down the Montgomery (which has to be booked, but will be a haven of peace and quiet as boat numbers are limited). With the remaining time, go as far as you can (Whitchurch or the top of Grindley Brook, maybe) before turning around.

Apart from the mooring bit I would agree with you 100%

Not if you stay over night.

No, the mooring costs but the electricity is free.

I personally think it is good value, and I'd rather pay and have a mooring near the town, than for it be free but no moorings are available (as it used to be there)