Boat license clarification

DCH

Featured Posts

Hi.

I have seen in the forum that some people say that you get a discount for paying your license fee on time. But on the application form it says this, and I quote...

The prompt payment price applies to boats being introduced to our waterways for the first

time, providing that the licence is purchased before the boat enters the waterways. We will

also allow the prompt rate for the brand new boats providing the application is received no

later then two weeks after the issue date of the safety certification.

So, when I purchase my second hand boat, and I need to re-new the license for it, do I get the 'prompt payment' discount

If I'm reading the BW application form correctly, it seems to say that the discount only applies to new boats introduced to the BW waterways or a brand new boat.

Can someone please clarify whether I should submit the lower prompt payment fee when I buy my second hand boat that is already licensed on a BW waterway?

Thanks.

Hi.

I have seen in the forum that some people say that you get a discount for paying your license fee on time. But on the application form it says this, and I quote...

The prompt payment price applies to boats being introduced to our waterways for the first

time, providing that the licence is purchased before the boat enters the waterways. We will

also allow the prompt rate for the brand new boats providing the application is received no

later then two weeks after the issue date of the safety certification.

So, when I purchase my second hand boat, and I need to re-new the license for it, do I get the 'prompt payment' discount

If I'm reading the BW application form correctly, it seems to say that the discount only applies to new boats introduced to the BW waterways or a brand new boat.

Can someone please clarify whether I should submit the lower prompt payment fee when I buy my second hand boat that is already licensed on a BW waterway?

Thanks.

Hi

Each year when your boat licence is due, you will receive an application form about 2 months before it's due.

You will be offered the discount if you pay before the due date, its really to stop people paying late.

Alex

My licence runs out on the 31st December each year, I pay on-line on the 31st, and only pay the lower prompt payment figure.

The online system used to say you can only pay with debit card - not credit, however, I have put through the credit card details the last two years with no issues even though it was telling me otherwise.

My licence runs out on the 31st December each year, I pay on-line on the 31st, and only pay the lower prompt payment figure.

The online system used to say you can only pay with debit card - not credit, however, I have put through the credit card details the last two years with no issues even though it was telling me otherwise.

I think you will find that they have charged you more for using a credit card.

I think I found they didn't!!!!!!!

edited to add, - although I was expecting it!!!

Well done, I'll pay by credit card next time. Thanks for the tip off.

:)

When I filled out BW's very poorly written form about payment options for our newly won mooring this year, I elected to make the initial payment by Credit Card, before everything else gets picked up by Direct Debit.

I failed to spot a bit further down the page that said they would charge me an, (I think), £7.50 surcharge for that privilege.

I tried arguing it because the form was so badly designed, and they told me "tough luck".

I don't know about licences, but I'd be very careful to read every word before attempting a Credit Card payment for any payment to BW these days. I can't really see why if they surcharge you when paying for moorings why they would not also do so when it's a licence.

EDIT:

Yes - I'm right!

Don't pay by credit card if you can avoid it.....

From this link.

Payment methods

We accept payment by the following:

• Cheque crossed and payable to British Waterways
    Most major Credit cards (except AMEX) for which a charge of £7.50 will be made
    Debit card or Switch (no charge applies)
    Cash only if you are applying in person.
    If the total fee due is more than £100, we also offer a Direct Debit facility for 12 month licences.

Edited by alan_fincher

Yes that's the thread I was reading, and that's why I was confused. The BW application form contradicts what everyone else was saying. So when I need a license I'll just pay the prompt payment fee then.

Thanks.

If its a second hand boat and the licence has expired I don't know how you would get on.

I went to pay online, and the site said,

Credit Cards CANNOT be accepted online, Debit Cards only.

I then rang up the BW offices, but all shut from mid December to 5th January.

I was annoyed, as I only had the money on my CC, not my debit account and was going to lose my Prompt payment discount.

So I put the CC numbers in the Debit Card number holes, and it said accepted, thank-you.

I then received an auto-confirmation e-mail.

I was dreading the offices opening and someone calling me......

but no - week later and the new licence was received at my postal address, installed on boat a month later.

Edited by matty40s

Can someone advise please?

I apparently won't get a renewal notice as the licence that is currently on the boat (expiring end of Jan) was not a 12 month one.

But in order to renew and pay online, I need the number from the renewal notice which I won't be issued with.

Also the current licence was bought by the prior owner of the boat as part of the terms of sale- I contacted BW after I bought it to send off the change of owner form and advised them I had changed the name.

I got back from them in two separate envelopes, copies of the licence etc. that was issued to the prior owner's name and address and in the boat's old name, and also, a letter acknowledging (kind of) the name/ ownership change.

What do I need to do?

Thanks!

So I put the CC numbers in the Debit Card number holes, and it said accepted, thank-you.

I then received an auto-confirmation e-mail.

Are you confident you have not been charged the £7.50 surcharge for credit cards by getting it through this way ?

In view of what they say elsewhere, you may have exposed a flaw in their system if no surcharge has been added.