Tips for trip Bradford on Avon to Bath please

dusty450

Featured Posts

Hello all!

I have optimistically hired a 12 berth narrowboat (yes I know 70ft of boat may be tricky! :) ) from Bradford Wharf in April for a birthday trip with my chums! Planning to chug along the K&A to Bath and back over a weekend. We are planning to moor in Bath on the Saturday night - meet up with some others for dinner and then return back to the marina by Sunday night. I know that there will be a briefing and canal guide on collection but I am trying to make a rough itinerary before then.

Questions I have are:

1.moorings in Bath - I understand that you can moor at the top or descend down into the town itself - which option is best? is there more moorings at the top or the bottom of the locks?

2. Food - can anyone recommend a place for a mid price meal for 17 people as I will need to book in advance and do not have any local knowledge of the area - pub grub is ideal and preferably within staggering distance of the moorings

3. Any other hints would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance :cheers:

You may like to have a look at the non-commercial website that I produce which will show you the pubs on the section you will be boating

Suggest The George Inn at Bathampton (chain pub and moorings outside) although a check of the pub websites will give you an idea of costs and menus - all the entries have maps so you will be able to see how far you have to stagger back !

http://www.canalandriversidepubs.co.uk/K-&-A.htm

You may like to have a look at the non-commercial website that I produce which will show you the pubs on the section you will be boating

Suggest The George Inn at Bathampton (chain pub and moorings outside) although a check of the pub websites will give you an idea of costs and menus - all the entries have maps so you will be able to see how far you have to stagger back !

http://www.canalandriversidepubs.co.uk/K-&-A.htm

thank you that looks ideal for the kind of thing I had in mind

1) for a 2 day outing forget going down the flight and back. It would bs around 4 hours of your trip for not much result. There's good moorings before bath tunnels and maybe easier than by the top of the locks.

2) george is ok, theres also one a short walk from there by bathampton weir. If you get into bath the crown at bathwick street is good. Other than that the centre of town is a very short walk

3) don't take it too fast, it's only 4 hours to bath so dawdle.

Edited by Chris Pink

1) for a 2 day outing forget going down the flight and back. It would bs around 4 hours of your trip for not much result. There's good moorings before bath tunnels and maybe easier than by the top of the locks.

2) george is ok, theres also one a short walk from there by bathampton weir. If you get into bath the crown at bathwick street is good. Other than that the centre of town is a very short walk

3) don't take it too fast, it's only 4 hours to bath so dawdle.

But remember the Bath bottom lock is closed indefinitely. You can however wind after the first lock.

Brian

Sounds ideal - after 15 mins I will be ready for a G&T to calm my shredded nerves!!

Its called The Cross Guns. If room, moor immediately before the aquaduct, otherwise as soon as poss after, although tow path will then be on the other side. But you can walk back and under the aquaduct to the pub. Very highly recommended.

Brian

Edited by Rebotco

But remember the Bath bottom lock is closed indefinitely. You can however wind after the first lock.

Brian

It will be open again by April. You have to go down 2 locks before you can wind

My advice still holds; on a 2 day holiday don't go down and up Bath flight.

Edited by Chris Pink

But remember the Bath bottom lock is closed indefinitely.

I don't think it is.

I was in Bath the other week (went by train, not boat) and went to have a look.

A NB was heading along the river in the Bristol direction as I crossed the bridge behind the station. The bottom gates on the bottom lock had been left open so I wondered if the boat had come down the flight and popped onto the river for a trip to the 'falling down' bridge and were going straight back.

I think there was a notice stating the locks would be locked at certain times to conserve water.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

thanks for all your replies so far - I have had another thought as my 'crew' are keen on spending more time crusing.

Would it be feasible to go up towards Seend on the Friday afternoon (3 hrs?), moor overnight, Saturday cruise all day from Seend to Bath top lock (6 hrs?) , overnight in Bath then Sunday leisurely pootle back to moor just by the hire base at Bradford Wharf on the Sunday night ready for the Monday morning return (3 hrs?) ?

Not sure if this is do-able as will need to turn around at or around Seend - is there a handy winding hole?

Many thanks and apologies for my ignorance - it is my first proper foray!

It's not a bad plan but boa to seend top (winding hole) will be more like 4-5 hours than 3.

It took me 5 hilperton to foxhangers (same distance 2 easy swing bridges) the other week and I know the area and was going some.

I assume you are thinking the barge at seend. You may be better going all the way up and 3 locks down on Friday. Outside the barge facing the right way.

With early starts and no holdups it is feasible.

Edited by Chris Pink

• 3 months later...

Hello! The time is nearly upon us as we are going on Friday! Hope the weather warms up! We are planning on meeting up with friends in a camper van on Saturday night- hopefully we will be at the visitor moorings prior to the locks in Bath. Can anyone help with a location close to the moorings where they can park up their camper for one night? Any other tips or recommendations also gratefully received :) thank you x dusty

• Greenie 1

I believe the nearest onstreet parking is restricted but if street is ok Sydney something above top lock is pleasant and if you explore a little that way there's a hidden combe. If the want official parkup it's all on the west, out of the city along the river.

Depends what they want really. Overnight longer street site

• 2 weeks later...

We made it! it was lovely and we managed to fit the itineray into the alloted time - even had a couple of hours in Bath and a cheeky pint at the Rec.

Thank you for all your tips - as it turned out Tesco extra on Bathwick Hill were very accomodating with parking. Lovely meal at the Canal Inn in Bradford, the George at Bathampton and a few drinks at the Somerset in Semmington kept the crew going

Most of my friends had no knowledge (or interest!) in canals but all said they had a great time and would do it again

Great service from Oxfordshire Narrowboats at Bradford especially Badger for his expert tuition.

Now looking for an excuse for the next trip