BCN registration plates

andywatson

Featured Posts

Its Me, Sorry about not being here for a while, just catching up on e mails, will reply properly tomorrow, been in France for a few weeks on the boat, weather really nice if a bit too hot sometimes, nice wine, stayed on the 'narrow' canals in Northern France, very few pleasure boats but I think maybe a few more commercials than usual but still very under used. Will be firing up the foundry for the winter campaign in a few days.

No problem hope you enjoyed your hol.

Just pm me with details of what you need and we can go from there as ill be after a few things if i can.

you can see on the stern i have where the plate was - i dont know the number so i am having a plate made with just BCN on the fleet number was 35 and painted on. looks like it had the scalloped ends?

I think this could be one of the boats I purchased in a batch from Dewsbury & Proud (Afred Matty's successor) around 1981. If it is then the BCN number is a later style scalloped plate and it is BCN1820, when the boats were purchased the plates were removed and the BCN numbers painted inside the hull, the 35 is the typical Stewarts & Lloyd fleet number. It was registered on 5-9-1934.

Part of the removal using B'ham & Midland:

gallery_5000_522_154319.jpg

gallery_5000_522_1200.jpg

edited to add images.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

I think this could be one of the boats I purchased in a batch from Dewsbury & Proud (Afred Matty's successor) around 1981. If it is then the BCN number is a later style scalloped plate and it is BCN1820, when the boats were purchased the plates were removed and the BCN numbers painted inside the hull, the 35 is the typical Stewarts & Lloyd fleet number. It was registered on 5-9-1934.

Part of the removal using B'ham & Midland:

gallery_5000_522_154319.jpg

gallery_5000_522_1200.jpg

edited to add images.

Wow if it is Thank you for the information - i might use the 1820 number on the new plate as i am sure this is the closest we will get to an Id on the hull, also thank you for giving me a date i can now tell people as i have alot asking about it as they walk past,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
2 hours ago, Spanners said:

Hi, I realise this in an old thread ,topic , But

Can anybody shed any light on  the boat that was numbered BCN1525 

Looking for any history I can find 

Thanks

Other than it is claimed to be the number associated with "Ironsides", which is claimed to be the back end of LMS railway boat "Tebay"? (As in that other thread which you just started).

Not sure adding further questions about it in this old thread will help.  Generally multiple threads discussing the same thing tend to confuse rather than clarify!

Edited by alan_fincher

BCN 1525

Registered 08/10/1929 at Tipton

IS a station boat

TEBAY 37 LMS Railway  

BCN 2033 

Is a tar/ oil boat TOWY registered 27 07 1938 at Tipton and supplied to T Clayton, Oldbury.

It was on the motor TOWY and butty KUBINA that Viv Bird went up to Stanlow to report on the journey. 

2 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Any offers for the location of the second photo down?

I would have to check but I dont think it was far from mtd. I've got location somewhere in my towy folder

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 04:49, billybobbooth said:

v0_web-3 (1).jpg

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:53, Heartland said:

Looks like Steward Aqueduct, grade II listed by Chances Glassworks.

15 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

I've got it down as Severn on the steward aqueduct in 1950s

This image appears in Alan H. Faulkners booklet Claytons of Oldbury, page 30 - "SEVERN crossing the Steward Aquaduct ………………… on its way to Oldbury in July 1955 (C.P. Weaver)" :captain:

Yes September 12th 1898 at Tipton

Registered to GWR and agents Bantock

The plate design varied as to when the boat was gauged.

The late Laurence Hogg often wondered about the style of the original Smethwick indexing plates, used prior to the dry gauge method. but if I recall did believe that they did once exist

1 hour ago, Robert B. said:

Back to the original topic, I assume these are the 2nd style with round ears?  Believed to be from a Bantock boat operated by them on behalf of the GWR.

DSCF0797.JPG

This pair of B.C.N. gauge plated were part of Laurence Hogg's personal collection, and he advertised them for via Ebay in early 2014. Presumably you were the purchaser.

For completeness here is the B.C.N. gauge table linked to these gauge plates :captain:

100_0088.jpg.510a1661c5c437ae3d0558388e8fae55.jpg

4 hours ago, pete harrison said:

This pair of B.C.N. gauge plated were part of Laurence Hogg's personal collection, and he advertised them for via Ebay in early 2014. Presumably you were the purchaser.

For completeness here is the B.C.N. gauge table linked to these gauge plates :captain:

100_0088.jpg.510a1661c5c437ae3d0558388e8fae55.jpg

Well that puzzled me for a while. I thought I'd made a pair with that number but with scallops not ears!193310929_2013-08-2315_53_34.jpg.28b44fe6edcd2b0a7e9566c7a6c09950.jpg