Break in

petro

Featured Posts

Seems to me that giving finch a clapped out NB, and some food and booze would solve a whole lot of problems and save the tax payer a shed load of money in the cost of his police time, court time and jail time.

He is probably entitled to benefits anyway they just need to be targeted at helping him live the life he chooses.

This might be out of the box thinking but that is only on the financial costs. The personal cost of the violated comes in at a way higher cost.

My boat is my absolute sanctuary. I return from a mad week running a retail business, trying to survive all the current dramas & politics of the economy, can't plan long term and really just have to go with the flow until we reach more settled times. I'm not complaining because we are one of the lucky few, we buy in raw materials & produce an English made product. We're doing OK. But my boat is the heartbeat in world. It's beautiful inside and once I close the doors, all the drama of the real world stays outside. If someone were to break in, I'd be devastated. Evben if thay hadn't done any damage, the fact that an uninvited stranger had invaded my world and changed the energy would completely spoil how I feel about my boat.

I would suggest that Mr Finch is way beyond the benefit system. It sounds like he is enjoying his moments of glory living on the back of the highly publicised notoriety of his trade. I wonder if he wasn't so infamous, if the thrill of breaking into boats would be so tempting?

Hello all

My wife and i have a small lockup shop on a largeish council estate we dont have HART, but i do run one myself its called the HURT system.

You steal from our shop or be a general nusance outside our shop, and I HURT YOU, works a treat.

Arge.

In retail and complying with the law, if I so much as touch a person suspected of having taken something from my shop, I will be the one in trouble. I can't accuse or apprehend until they have physically left the shop. Then I have proof. Obviously this is totally useless because they don't wait for me to accuse or apprehend. They just run. I've had to stop my husband several times from grabbing a customers arm because he suspects they've taken something.

We've learned to adapt and do things differently but the laws do need changing.

You guys think that the justice system is a joke? Ha I bet you don't know the half. You think the likes of Finch are safely locked up for a short while - think again. I own 3 "bail hostels" where prisoners who have been good can come and live out the rest of their sentence. This in effect means they are out in the community doing what they do best with very few if any restrictions as the hostels are not locked to keep people in and are not staffed apart from an occasional visit from someone from probation. People ask if this is a half way house, no it's simply trying to keep the prisons from being over crowded. I may be cynical but in the end for someone who has never had so much as a parking ticket I end up living off the proceeds of crime :blink:

My boat is my absolute sanctuary. I return from a mad week running a retail business, trying to survive all the current dramas & politics of the economy, can't plan long term and really just have to go with the flow until we reach more settled times. I'm not complaining because we are one of the lucky few, we buy in raw materials & produce an English made product. We're doing OK. But my boat is the heartbeat in world. It's beautiful inside and once I close the doors, all the drama of the real world stays outside. If someone were to break in, I'd be devastated. Evben if thay hadn't done any damage, the fact that an uninvited stranger had invaded my world and changed the energy would completely spoil how I feel about my boat.

I would suggest that Mr Finch is way beyond the benefit system. It sounds like he is enjoying his moments of glory living on the back of the highly publicised notoriety of his trade. I wonder if he wasn't so infamous, if the thrill of breaking into boats would be so tempting?

In retail and complying with the law, if I so much as touch a person suspected of having taken something from my shop, I will be the one in trouble. I can't accuse or apprehend until they have physically left the shop. Then I have proof. Obviously this is totally useless because they don't wait for me to accuse or apprehend. They just run. I've had to stop my husband several times from grabbing a customers arm because he suspects they've taken something.

We've learned to adapt and do things differently but the laws do need changing.

We have had our shop just over 5 years now,we also know who to keep an eye on,we have had people come in the shop and grab some beer or cider,

and being on good terms with all our customers it dosent take long befor their is a que of people waiting to tell me who they are,where they live,

how old they are ect ect, been to see a few parent's who were not amused at their childrens behavior.

I have had hold of most of the culprits, and they now seem to understand me a little better.

Arge.

I'm just coming to the end of being bound over to keep the peace for two years. A knobhead went to stub a cigarett in my wifes face, so i dekked him

!!! well wouldnt you. Arge.

Just to put people's minds at rest, it's rare we have problems. But I learn each time it happens. One day I was confronted by a very agitated man who came into our shop and tried to sell me two expensive ladies handbags, both the top end brands that cost hundreds of pounds to buy. We don't stock them anyway and I was stood there wondering if they were cheap Ebay counterfeit products or because he only pulled two out of his holdall, if he'd mugged someone and stolen them. When I refused to buy them, (he only wanted 20.00 each, for drugs I'd say), he put his hand in his bag again and I thought I saw the blade of a knife. Thank goodness, 2 more customers came in at the same time. He left and stood outside shaking & drooling, bent over in some kind of pain. I honestly have never seen this before. I asked the customers to remain in the shop while I rang the police. They were with me in minutes after giving them a full description. And they caught him.

I don't know what happened after that but it made me realise that I had no escape from being in that situation. We've now installed new measures to deal with the situation if it should happen again and my first response from now on is to have my keys with me all the time. If I was confronted again, I'd run outside the shop and lock the person inside then wait for the police. There is no easy access to a rear door so he would be caught red handed.

But honestly, it's very rare I've had to deal with such situations. Police tell us the best thing is to do the obvious, secure all doors, the shop is alarmed, we've got insurance, take all money off the premises and don't leave an opportunity for them to steal or break in. At the end of the day, it's your own safety & the safety of others that matter so I've long accepted that in a bad situation, they can have it.

Seems to me that giving finch a clapped out NB, and some food and booze would solve a whole lot of problems and save the tax payer a shed load of money in the cost of his police time, court time and jail time.

He is probably entitled to benefits anyway they just need to be targeted at helping him live the life he chooses.

This might be out of the box thinking but that is only on the financial costs. The personal cost of the violated comes in at a way higher cost.

So Biggles, we give him an old boat, then licence it, BSC it, fuel it, give him benefits & wave him off to CC? Or do we pay for a mooring? ----- not many takers to be his neighbours I would think.

He then spends his benefits on booze & breaks into boats for food ----- only now he is mobile. I don't think so.

Yeah and lets throw in a few beers as well ! wonder if you will extend this offer to all law-abiding citizens as well :banghead:

14skipper

You would have to buy a boat for every finch though!!!

Hello Lucy

Just picked up on your post. Yes it did. And the other two times.

How ever ,I have to add that now that the style has been got rid of from the adjacent farm near the lock I would be surprised if we have another 'attack'.

I guess you are new to 'FF' (took me a while to work out what that meant) Welcome. We have been there over five years are very happy with the moorings.

Martyn

I can't 'PM' you until you have posted more than 5 times, site rules for whatever reason. But once I can I would like to.

Martyn

Perhaps you could PM me if I added you as a friend? If not, well... 2 posts down and 3 to go...I'll gatecrash some conversations elsewhere on the forum and try you again later.

Lucy