Break in

petro

Featured Posts

When I was looking to buy my boat, one was moored at Ventnor Farm.

This was on sale through a VERY reputable broker.

I was given the gate code and told to meet the marina staff at the boat at a certain time. I arrived very early, and wandered around for an hour, unhindered.

The staff arrived, showed me the boat, started the engine up, and the rest is history.

However, I may not have bought, and still had the gate code.

Unlikely. If he was ex-SAS he could find all the food and shelter he needs in the woods.

shows your knowledge, SAS take what is there at little or no risk, in any place, to survive.

boats moored empty for 14 days on moorings, or boats moored in marinas for 11 months of the year are easy targets for shelter, and food.

shows your knowledge, SAS take what is there at little or no risk, in any place, to survive.

boats moored empty for 14 days on moorings, or boats moored in marinas for 11 months of the year are easy targets for shelter, and food.

Beats eating bugs and setting traps.

Being a business, we receive Neighbourhood Watch alerts regularly and there are a lot more thefts and break ins happening regardless of where you're moored. I know a couple who won't leave their boat following a recent spate of opportunist break ins. One stays on board while the other goes off to do the shopping, etc. It's the time of year mostly plus the general economy and metal is a big attraction too. Our latest NW alert is trying to tackle the laws surrounding scrap dealers who obviously deal in metal. You just have to be extra careful and make sure everything is out of sight or locked away.

What a world we live in I am a gas engineer and nearly on a daily basis I am getting calls from people saying there gas pipe from the meter into the property has been taken, and this is with the gas still on!!

We have a shop in a pretty little market town. Never had a problem then a couple of weeks ago, two women came in together, nothing wrong with that, looked at all the bags then left without buying. Several days later, I heard the door open on the ground floor and by the time we'd got downstairs from the first floor sales area, one of the women had come back and taken several bags! I've never had this in my premises before but it's a regular practise now. And we have the HART scheme too. After Christmas, we will be rearranging the whole shop to prevent further stealing. Or at least make it harder to do.

We have a shop in a pretty little market town. Never had a problem then a couple of weeks ago, two women came in together, nothing wrong with that, looked at all the bags then left without buying. Several days later, I heard the door open on the ground floor and by the time we'd got downstairs from the first floor sales area, one of the women had come back and taken several bags! I've never had this in my premises before but it's a regular practise now. And we have the HART scheme too. After Christmas, we will be rearranging the whole shop to prevent further stealing. Or at least make it harder to do.

Mrs T volunteers at the local PDSA shop. On one day in October someone stole six pairs of slippers whilst their accomplice distracted the staff. The manager says she has never known such a high level of theft in 15 years - even 10p paperbacks are targeted.

I think when you spend so much time on a narrowboat, you become very detached from the real world until the real world pays you a visit. Then it seems like a big shock. Really though, not much has changed. It does pay to stay in touch with what's going on in your local area. We find those local NW email alerts very informative & helpful. Even though our boat is in a marina, and I have to say, we've never had problems, narrowboats generally are exposed to the potential for break ins because the opportunity is there for them to be broken into unless someone is on board all the time. I used to attend community business meetings and the police officer always used to say that theft only happens if there is an opportunity. Basically, it's down to us to make sure we secure everything as much as possible.

Even the shop lifter is a different breed these days and much more brazen. The women who stole the bags from my shop are far more likely to be well healed professionals who have maxed out their credit cards but still want to go shopping, rather than desperado's. Seen it all in retail :-)I think stealing lead & copper is an age old problem isn't it? They need to focus on scrap dealers and stop the flow of cash transactions. New regulations, the tax man and a paper trail would slow it down.

What's that? Google wasn't any help.

Tony

It's a radio intercom scheme where shops and businesses are linked together to share information and immediately alert each other in the case of shop theft and suspicious behaviour. Think it's linked to the local police too. It's good, it works well.

Ventnor seemed to have decent security last time I was there.

Sorry have to disagree with you on this, we were moored there for a year and left in August and while we were there , there was several incidents of break ins there. our friend was disturbed one night by 2 dregs carrying a suitcase genny to the wall by the gates, and only the fact that he was asleep in his van whilst doing up his boat , heard them as he is a light sleeper. they have 5 workers who live on the marina dotted around both parts, but to no avail it appears.

Mrs T volunteers at the local PDSA shop. On one day in October someone stole six pairs of slippers whilst their accomplice distracted the staff. The manager says she has never known such a high level of theft in 15 years - even 10p paperbacks are targeted.

I work in the control room (police) and the amount of calls we get for thefts from charity shops, beggars belief that people can stoop so low. they even have to empty the dvd boxes, very very sad.

When I was looking to buy my boat, one was moored at Ventnor Farm.

This was on sale through a VERY reputable broker.

I was given the gate code and told to meet the marina staff at the boat at a certain time. I arrived very early, and wandered around for an hour, unhindered.

The staff arrived, showed me the boat, started the engine up, and the rest is history.

However, I may not have bought, and still had the gate code.

they do change the keycode periodically, it had a 4 and a 6 in when we left :-)

Edited by i love my narrowboat

Just for the record, we were done by Finchy (confirmed by Police) in January this year at V Farm.

He entered three boats then and stole cash and clothes. He nicked 4 cans of very old out of date beer from me but damaged the front doors quite badly. This time round he o rsomeone got in through the side hatch, nicked nothing and just busted the bolts.

Various lessons learnt for the future! but in reality it must be virtually impossible to maintain security either there or at any marina in a remote location. That is the real reason that we and so many others prefer to moor in such a delightful location even now in winter.

We were broken into earlier this year. This was the third time and the sod got in this time by breaking a window on the front bulkhead.

We have secured all the other options.

Dammed nuisance.

Martyn

Hi Martyn, did this happen at FF? (We are new FF residents, I've seen your boat there).

Lucy

Hello Lucy

Just picked up on your post. Yes it did. And the other two times.

How ever ,I have to add that now that the style has been got rid of from the adjacent farm near the lock I would be surprised if we have another 'attack'.

I guess you are new to 'FF' (took me a while to work out what that meant) Welcome. We have been there over five years are very happy with the moorings.

Martyn

Hi Martyn, did this happen at FF? (We are new FF residents, I've seen your boat there).

Lucy

I can't 'PM' you until you have posted more than 5 times, site rules for whatever reason. But once I can I would like to.

Martyn

Seems to me that giving finch a clapped out NB, and some food and booze would solve a whole lot of problems and save the tax payer a shed load of money in the cost of his police time, court time and jail time.

He is probably entitled to benefits anyway they just need to be targeted at helping him live the life he chooses.

This might be out of the box thinking but that is only on the financial costs. The personal cost of the violated comes in at a way higher cost.

• Greenie 1

In our local paper there is on the front page a picture of a whole family who were caught on video camera nicking an x mas elf (charity display) from a shop front.

The family consisted of a woman, an old lady in a wheel chair, a toddler about 5 years old and a young teen. The mum is holding the hand of the toddler as she helped herself and the old woman in the wheelchair is smiling. A true shoal of scum - the kids have no chance.

Mark

Hello all

My wife and i have a small lockup shop on a largeish council estate we dont have HART, but i do run one myself its called the HURT system.

You steal from our shop or be a general nusance outside our shop, and I HURT YOU, works a treat.

Arge.