CRT Council

mayalld

Featured Posts

There will be many attempts by organisations to slip in candidates that promote the particular slant of that organisation over boaters generally, and I personally can't see that as being preferably to electing four largely independent council members from the wider boating fraternity.

Reported in Towpath. IWA crying wolf.

Well I've offered Dave my nomination in the belief that when it's not just Dave's opinion he is intellectually capable of taking it on board.

There will be minutes; I can be held to account, however as one of the more capable (and of the two willing) members of the board I'd be willing to stand by his nomination.

• Greenie 1

Well I've offered Dave my nomination in the belief that when it's not just Dave's opinion he is intellectually capable of taking it on board.

There will be minutes; I can be held to account, however as one of the more capable (and of the two willing) members of the board I'd be willing to stand by his nomination.

Yup Ive backed Dave too, I wasnt going to mention it but as you have , why not..... :D

I can't vote for him.

I cant fault his knowledge, but he knows I think his attitude is too aggressive, I don't think he would make a very good committee member.

Neither do I feel that he will have the time or commitment, or the enthusiasm, once any vote goes against him.

Alex

Edited by steelaway

I've learnt never to judge someone by their posting style on a bulletin board. I've discovered some real life examples of why. I've never met Dave IRL, perhaps if I did, then I'd be able to make a fair judgement on whether to vote for him or not.

Those of you who do know him IRL have good things to say, though <waves to Kiki> :captain:

I've learnt never to judge someone by their posting style on a bulletin board. I've discovered some real life examples of why. I've never met Dave IRL, perhaps if I did, then I'd be able to make a fair judgement on whether to vote for him or not.

Those of you who do know him IRL have good things to say, though <waves to Kiki> :captain:

Not sure about your use of the plural, Lady M, but Kiki's lone voice certainly contained a ringing endorsement.

And although I take your point (books and covers and all that), successful committee workers tend to be consensus-seekers (like Mr Fincher). A tendency to be dogmatic doesn't work so well (unless you're the chairman, and can't be voted out).

But it would be good if Mr Mayall's undoubted talents could be brought to bear in some way. It's my view that CART will only work if it is able to harness a vast army of volunteers to work on canal maintenance, and perhaps Mr M could usefully agitate for that, and apply his powerful mind to the associated logistical problems. It's a task that will require the organisational and strategical skills of a latter-day Alexander III of Macedon. I am sure Mayall of the Peak is up to it.

Edited by sebrof

Yup Ive backed Dave too, I wasnt going to mention it but as you have , why not..... :D

This is fascinating. What is it about Mr Mayall that attracts the smelly voters?

Does he own an after-shave factory, and has he promised freebies? Has he patented an anti-flatulence device that promises to bring relief to those with turbulent bowels?

Or has he simply promised to hold his election meetings in the open air?

I think we should be told.

Edited by sebrof

Why can't an unfilled elected position be filled by an appointee?

Whether it can or not will depend on what is contained in the as-yet unpublished document (trust deed, perhaps, or Articles of Association) that contains the rules and regulations of the charity.

Normally a board has powers to co-opt.

Edited by sebrof

This is fascinating. What is it about Mr Mayall that attracts the smelly voters?

Does he own an after-shave factory, and has he promised freebies? Has he patented an anti-flatulence device that promises to bring relief to those with turbulent bowels?

Or has he simply promised to hold his election meetings in the open air?

I think we should be told.

Its because we are fully awake and can " Smell " the coffee.

Not sure about your use of the plural, Lady M, but Kiki's lone voice certainly contained a ringing endorsement.

And although I take your point (books and covers and all that), successful committee workers tend to be consensus-seekers (like Mr Fincher). A tendency to be dogmatic doesn't work so well (unless you're the chairman, and can't be voted out).

But it would be good if Mr Mayall's undoubted talents could be brought to bear in some way. It's my view that CART will only work if it is able to harness a vast army of volunteers to work on canal maintenance, and perhaps Mr M could usefully agitate for that, and apply his powerful mind to the associated logistical problems. It's a task that will require the organisational and strategical skills of a latter-day Alexander III of Macedon. I am sure Mayall of the Peak is up to it.

Looking at your profile I see you have two friends, whereas looking at Dave's I see he has three! I leave it to you to reconsider your conclusions.

And to save you the bother of looking, I see I don't have any :(

Maybe I am seeing this completely the wrong way, but this is not an election for a committee. Now I have never been a great joiners of clubs but in my experience a committee tends to be a group of people who tend to agree on most points have a bit of spare time and then agree to agree so they can get down to the pub for the important business.

What we are electing is a member of a Council made up of a group of people all with different agendas. For this reason IMO we need people who are able to stand their ground put forward a good argument in the interest of boaters.As an example should they be discussing the use of the limited funds available the majority of the council would not care one way or the other if Locks leak, swing bridges do not work or if canals are dredged. In these cases I would rather have someone who is dogmatic and will fight the corner of the boater. Boaters will be about the only ones on this Council contributing hard cash About £30 million a year I would like to think that the person involved in discussions about how my money is spent will put up a bloody good reason why this should be spent to the benefit of boaters.

Edited by cotswoldsman

Of course it's a committee. "A group of people officially delegated to perform a function, such as investigating, considering, reporting, or acting on a matter." From the Online Dic.

And of course Mr Mayall can put forward a well-reasoned argument. However, he tends to do so in a way that is designed to crush opposition rather than win friends. That's why Mr Fincher will, in my view, be more effective.

That's the problem.

That's why I am not standing! :)

But look at it another way. I have made 1000 posts, which gives me 1 friend per 500. Mr M has made 9000 posts, which gives him 1 per 3000. So I seem to be a more effective friend-begetter.

And if we do the same with reputation points, we come out much the same. (That worries me!)

That other prolific poster, CarlT, does much worse than either of us on both counts. So no surprises there! :lol:

Of course, you know what they say about statistics....

Exactly

Whether it can or not will depend on what is contained in the as-yet unpublished document (trust deed, perhaps, or Articles of Association) that contains the rules and regulations of the charity.

Normally a board has powers to co-opt.

The deed is a document that stamps the go ahead, by the trustees. Public Bodies bill first, then transfer of power, then deed. In new year.

Of course it's a committee. "A group of people officially delegated to perform a function, such as investigating, considering, reporting, or acting on a matter." From the Online Dic.

That's the problem.

Not unusual for me not to understand the use of words in the English language, and no I do not refer to the dictionary before posting. Made an exception this time and the dictionary says for Council - an assembly of persons summoned or convened for consultation, deliberation or advise. So I guess it now goes down to interpretation.

That other prolific poster, CarlT, does much worse than either of us on both counts. So no surprises there! :lol:

What a nasty little person you are.

I see no need to have a go at me like this, on a thread I haven't even contributed to, unless you want to provoke an argument, yet again.

I have reported your post and asked for it to be removed as I don't want to be involved in what looks like a deliberate hijacking, to suit your own petty agenda.

What a nasty little person you are.

I see no need to have a go at me like this, on a thread I haven't even contributed to, unless you want to provoke an argument, yet again.

I have reported your post and asked for it to be removed as I don't want to be involved in what looks like a deliberate hijacking, to suit your own petty agenda.

Yep you are right Carl.......I bet hes four feet ten with a very large chip on his shoulder ;)

That's why I am not standing! :)

But look at it another way. I have made 1000 posts, which gives me 1 friend per 500. Mr M has made 9000 posts, which gives him 1 per 3000. So I seem to be a more effective friend-begetter.

And if we do the same with reputation points, we come out much the same. (That worries me!)

Another load of bollocks...........

You can hand it out, Carl, but you can't take it.

That is often the case with bullies.

I can take it alright but you are obviously trying to derail Dave's thread by causing a row.

You are pathetic and your tactics, I'm sure, are not endorsed by Dave's opponents.

I don't claim to represent Mr M's "opponents", if such there be, and I am not trying to derail this thread.

Your comments leading up to dragging me in to this thread have been personal attacks, rather than based on any policies.

I leave it to the mods to decide and delete as necessary.

I for one am tired of your pathetic baiting and will merely report without comment, in future.